Clinical Depression

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TuckersDad, Dec 5, 2019.

1. TuckersDad

TuckersDad

I love your signature line.... I'll try to do that.

2. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Hang in there. See a doc. Also I recommend seeing a counselor. One can help you sort out of some of the baggage that certainly contributes to the sum total of things. Physical exercise helps my state of mind a lot.

rfd339 likes this.

3. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Worked 2nd and 3rd for years in plant maintenance. I know what you mean. I still find myself being a night owl. Started taking melatonin and run-walk about 2 miles 3 times a week and its calmed down. It's tough.

TuckersDad, Paul53 and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Because "being active" is a surefire cure for depression.:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I'm not saying that exercise and starting active doesn't help.

Detectorist likes this.
  5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

There are some misperceptions about confidentiality and seeking help for mental health issues. I'm credentialed as a clinical social worker and I am a psychotherapist (LCSW). There are many on this site who have professional incenses of some sort or another: lawyers, electricians, engineers, plumbers, medical professionals etc. We all know what we are statutorily allowed to do as well as being guided by the ethics of our profession. Mental health professionals are bound to protect privacy, MDs, Psychologists, RNs, Counselors, all have to protect privacy and confidentiality. Loose lips sink ships. The ONLY times confidentiality can be broken is if the client is IMMINENTLY dangerous to self or others. For instance, if my client told me he/she was going to walk out of my office or ER where I am seeing them and is going to seriously harm or kill themselves OR someone else, I am mandated by law and ethics to call the cops and proceed with an involuntary hold as prescribed by a physician and legal processes. Police, sheriffs, and constables are also able to do a Peace Officers Apprehension and take a subject to a place where a medical mental health evaluation can be done. Jails have mental health screening protocols when someone is brought in. I know many in law enforcement who do outstanding mental health work as they are trained in de-escalation and in how to work with mentally ill/drunk/stoned individuals as a peace officer.

People can and do talk about their mental health issues on social media all the time, and it is a tool used to communicate, seek support, decompress, and vent. Once again, if a person makes credible threats to harm themselves or others or their communication is so "crazy" or psychotic, someone is going to notice and rat them out. Watch what you say! There is not some big call center somewhere with Red Flag nannies. Typically social media info has to be subpoenaed legally AFTER the fact of some tragedy.

Guys in this thread have shared their experiences about depression and anxiety and how they have addressed their own approaches that are working or have seen work in others. There is not one single post on this thread that would cause me alarm as a mental health professional or would ever arise as some sort of Red Flag.

TuckersDad, Paul53 and nursetim like this.
  6. Detectorist

Detectorist

Yep, because no fit person ever got depressed.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  7. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

You are correct, but You are missing out on the fact that when someone is depressed, they are often in a weakened state, and can make a mistake. What “should” happen, or what the law says should happen, is not always the way it goes.

in my case, even my therapist was incensed at my ex manipulating him and using him. Probably a mistake to see someone in the same office as my ex wife’s counselor and my marriage counselor. He told me he’d go to court and tear her a new one. He was really embarrassed.

He got played, but I paid the price. I did not sue him, but probably should have.

MB-G26 likes this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

lots of discussion about depression, but I saw "low energy" in the post. Have you tried to get some blood work done to see if it's something simple (and likely as you get older) like low testosterone?

Paul53, TuckersDad and jim goose like this.
  9. TuckersDad

TuckersDad

It was 313. I was told that it was normal for my age (52) - endocrinology is not my specialty. What are your thoughts?

Paul53 likes this.
  10. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I get to have a major depression about every 7 years. I'm almost 60 now.

For what reason my brain / seretonin level just runs out of gas. Overall I've had a blessed life, so proof you don't have to be "crazy" to have a mental illness. Not a big deal

So I've learned a bit about how to deal so they're not disruptive. I've gotten pretty good at it

My experience is that Rx, assistance with sleep, sleep habits, regular exercise help me get through it

Behavioral counselling helps too depending on what else is going on

Have you asked your primary doc if he can prescribe an appropriate Rx? Some will and some won't.

Let me know where you're at with things and I'll help as much as you want

PM me if you'd like

TuckersDad, Paul53 and nursetim like this.
  11. nursetim

nursetim

I agree with most of what you post, but you’ve strayed out of your lane.

Check out the hyperlinks I posted from credible sources, peer reviewed.

Paul53 and serve_and_protect like this.
  12. nursetim

nursetim

As a stand alone complaint, that comes in second on my list of “maybes”, first would be red blood cells (anemia). Nothing is stand alone, or rather extremely rare. One needs a good history and the symptoms to better diagnose.

Paul53 likes this.
  13. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Fair enough.

I'll check out your links! :cheers:

Paul53 likes this.
  14. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Medical explanation or not, I am a firm believer in the “what gets measured, gets done” philosophy. Simply having a discussion about it and being aware that you are feeling different may be enough to manage the feelings and lead to improvement.

I have found recently that sleep quality is a bigger driving force in my mood than I previously believed it to be. A few days of poor sleep makes me irritable, but a couple months leads to me feeling depressed. My Doc worked from there and with some lifestyle changes I am seeing big improvements. Now even when I do not get quality sleep I am aware of the negative feelings that may come up and I am able to mitigate them and plan for better sleep to recharge.

Maybe you have a trigger or a change that has led to your feelings? Best of luck...it is tough and not something I have dealt with before.

TuckersDad likes this.
  15. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Get yourself a Vitamin D supplement. Might not help, but it sure won't hurt.

16. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

Incredible support and many excellent suggestions for you here. Might be overwhelming for you. If I can suggest a course to take:

Find a good physician you can talk to and get a good physical. Physical health should be dealt with first.

Once you're physically cleared of causes for depression, many good suggestions in this thread to help. Try the ones that sound best for you.

Importantly, remember that what works for you is the goal. What works for me may not help you. To put it another way, My answer to a problem may not be the best answer for you.

TuckersDad likes this.