Clinical Depression

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TuckersDad, Dec 5, 2019.

1. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

Keep talking and keep reaching out. Depression can be a dark and lonely place. Depression is real. There is lots of great advice in this thread and I'm sure many here would not mind you reaching out in private message. I know a guy who has dealt with anxiety and depression for years. Recently he has been taking CBD oil and is no longer on meds and is doing better than he has in years. A positive side effect is his blood pressure is also improved and his doctor has reduces those meds as well. Also the guy doesn't feel he is in a fog after coming off of several of his meds.

Paul53 and Jade Falcon like this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

CBD Oil....I'm gonna look into this, thanks!

Paul53 and nitesite10mm like this.

3. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

It sucks. See a doc.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

Has the OP posted since the first day?

Paul53 and nitesite10mm like this.
  5. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Not myself, but both my daughter and ex.

Do you find yourself staying up late using electronics (PC, phone, tablet)? That seems to be a common trend with both my daughter and my ex. If so try weaning yourself from electronics in the evening and see if anything changes.

6. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

I'm praying for you. Things are never as bad as they may seem.

7. TuckersDad

TuckersDad

Folks,

Thank you all kindly for reaching out both here and in PMs. The support and advice has been much appreciated. I was able to be seen as a "we'll squeeze you in" appointment Friday afternoon (the benefits of living in a small town, I guess). After talking, we agreed to several treatment options, referrals, and lifestyle changes that will be started.

I'll be ok; it will just take some time. I'm just glad I have decent insurance as it appears I will be using it a lot in the near future.

8. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Think of the good things in your life and those to come.
    It's tough but stay positive as best you can. Support and talking about it helps.

TuckersDad and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Long post ahead...

It sounds crazy, but it's amazing how much exercise and diet helps. I have Seasonal Defective Disorder... and it is easy to think it's depression. Doc tried to put me on meds, and I wasn't to fond of this idea. You don't say what shift you're currently working, but the fact I work 12hr shifts on overnights and a pretty heavy OT load, probably doesn't help.

A couple things that have really helped me...

I switched to a low carbohydrate diet. Health benefits not included... it gave me much better mental clarity and really helped during the dark months

I also joined a 24hr gym, so even on those days where I'm feeling kinda "bleh" and I've slept all day, I don't have to set an alarm and maybe wake up early so I can go workout. You'd be amazed how much better you will feel just going and walking/running on a treadmill for 30-40min. If I do this outside, unfortunately I run the risk of getting plowed over by a car due to no sidewalks around here. I was going to buy a treadmill and bench for home, but I was worried about it basically becoming a clothes rack due to home distractions, etc. Driving to the gym, it's easy to say. "Well, I'm here"... and then get into my workout mindset. I'm not sure how this would be with a home setup. Even being a little bit rural, I've got 3, 24hr gym membership options that are about a 15-20min drive.. Prices being in the 10-40 a month range...It's an easy choice and I feel 100x better. If I don't work out for a few days.. even if I just go run 3-4mi on a treadmill... I start to feel terrible.

I've been on overnights for going on 10yrs, and I probably made these changes about 7-8yrs ago, and don't regret it for a second.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Glock1963, TuckersDad, Flags and 4 others like this.
  10. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Be very careful about drugs. Everyone reacts differently. If you do take something, I reccomend a psychiatrist, not your GP.

When my marriage fell apart 10 yrs ago I tried an anti depressant and it did not go well. It made me very emotional and I’m NOT an emotional guy.

Eat clean, exercise, sunshine, and hang in there.

Bill Keith and IndyGunFreak like this.
  11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I agree w/ this as well. Not so much nowadays, but for years I dealt with guys who had some pretty serious psychiatric issues and I would never recommend those drugs being prescribed by a GP. It's actually one reason I wanted to try and avoid medication. I would ask my GP for a referral to a Psychiatrist, or at least a Psychologist who can evaluate you and see if you need to see a Psychiatrist for medication.

Another thing I failed to mention in my other post, is Melatonin. When I told my GP I didn't really want a script, she recommended I try an OTC Melatonin supplement. It helped a lot with my sleeping issues and overall outlook. Usually I only take it during the winter Daylight Savings Time months as I get zero sun with my hours.... Spring/Summer/Early Fall, I usually get at least a few hours a day so I find as long as I'm eating clean and exercising... I'm OK without it.

Bill Keith and treg like this.
  12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

As a shooting sports enthusiast and hunter I enjoy this website immensely. I am a clinical social worker, a psychotherapist and crisis assessor in local ER's in Houston. I want to provide some resources and advice for those dealing with mental health issues or who know someone who might need this help. (Who doesn't know someone who has mental health issues!)

First off, don't be embarrassed if you need help. Life is hard. Sometimes we are born with genetic makeup that lends itself to mental health and substance abuse issues. Often, life throws us a curve ball and tragedies occur in our families or communities that lead to depression. Self medication occurs all too frequently. Many of our families are just dysfunctional and we might not have learned to cope well. Sometimes we are just so damn negative with stinkin' thinkin' that we box ourselves off from everyone and everything and then the paranoia and poor sleep drain us.

Here are some resources:
    National suicide hotline 24/7, 1-800-273-8255

Text hotline 24/7 Text HOME to 741741 in the USA

Substance Abuse & Mental Health Support Assistance ( for treatment referral and information ) 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

This is a link to Patient Assistance through NeedyMeds.org. This site has info to look up drug company programs to help defray the cost of expensive medications, and not just mental health medicines but all kinds of medications for medical conditions. The various programs have different requirements to qualify and each is described:
    https://www.needymeds.org/pap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuqL0tOm5gIVBL7ACh2oWQMHEAAYAiAAEgK6BPD_BwE

Another invaluable organization is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. It is national and helps to link people to free support groups and programs. The website has you enter your zip code and it directs you to local organization and info;
    https://www.dbsalliance.org/

Lastly, throughout America there are Community Mental Health Centers. The mandate is to serve people with serious mental illness and substance abuse and developmental disabilities. They are run on a sliding scale basis in most cases dependent on a person's income and expenses. I have spent some of my career working for two such agencies and it was an eye-opening as well as fulfilling experience.

Good luck to all of you who may need help! Reach out, there are people who care and have the ability to guide you to wellness. As Hickok 45 would say: "Life Is Good!"

rugercat78, OGW, TuckersDad and 8 others like this.
  13. Blanton

Blanton

^^THIS. I'm amazed at how much folks are willing to share with strangers, lurkers and others online regarding personal issues. This situation seems especially risky in light of the current rush for ERPO/Red Flag laws. I would urge the OP to be a Gray Man on this, seek assistance as needed and use more discretion

MB-G26 likes this.
  14. TuckersDad

TuckersDad

I've worked 24 hour shifts for years and get calls all the time, having to be right there for deliveries or emergencies. When I sleep off shift, I dream of and wake up thinking I am hearing the phone ring when it's not. When I "hear" a ring when I'm sleeping, I'll actually wake up and listen for another ring to decide if it's real or not. It is exhausting!

I know I said I was sleeping all of the time, but really I think it is intermittently.

I will go to sleep for a couple or 3 hours, then be up for a few, then back to sleep. I think this work schedule is making it worse.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  15. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

That happened to me all the time in my younger years. I know exactly what you mean, and it really F'd up with much-needed sleep. I worked graveyard for 5 straight years, and I would wake up during the day thinking that someone was banging on my door, but there was nobody there. Or my alarm clock was going off, or someone was talking to me or calling my name....or the really bad ones: I would wake up in a start thinking I was late for work, when in reality I had only been asleep 45 minutes.

I last worked graveyard in 2007, and even today my sleep schedule has never recovered. It's 12:15 AM here and I'm typing this.....I'll probably be awake till 6 AM or so.

When I got into counseling after my suicide attempt, one of the things I asked for immediately was sleep medicine, which I took with a combo of other meds I can't even remember. Let me tell you.....Ambien is a hell of a drug. I haven't used it in years, but whoa.....

gary_boom and TuckersDad like this.
  16. paul45

paul45

Paul53, Bill Keith and Jade Falcon like this.
  17. Berto

Berto woo woo

My way of dealing with this has been transitioning away from nighttime work schedules, regular exercise is paramount- do whatever you can to stay active; getting a workout buddy, riding partner and regular scheduled sessions will help tremendously in keeping you accountable. DO THIS.
    Sleep has to take priority, you can't live on 'naps' - working nights or graveyards really makes that tough.
    TRY to avoid big sugar and caffeine in your diet. I was huge on coke a cola, cut that out almost entirely and it made a big difference.
    HTH

TuckersDad, Paul53, rfd339 and 2 others like this.
  18. G17Jake

G17Jake

That's a good step in the right direction. Identifying it and being willing to seek help should go a long way towards a successful treatment.

Paul53, TuckersDad and Jade Falcon like this.
  19. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I would echo previous post about keeping this on the down low. If you see a therapist make sure you establish he is to reveal nothing to anyone.

when I got divorced, I hadn’t opened my gun safe in years, in fact, my ex would shoot with me when we first met. But OMG, he owns guns! Then I find out my ex was speaking with my counselor and she had the dirtiest lawyer in town.

people will take advantage of any weakness. Other than your mother, trust no one.

MB-G26 and nursetim like this.
  20. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Never...not even for a second. Until recently.

Only son left for military training in July and made my wife and I instant empty nesters... that was tough. His training schedule changed and we found that we would not see him for months longer than we thought...that didn’t help. Communicating with him during training I realized the consequences of injury and failure was high and that created fear and pressure in MY mind... thankfully he wasn’t concerned. I realized I wasn't sleeping and was overloading on caffeine to function. I was sad, tired, and just wanted to crawl back in bed. I felt defeated and did not see any improvement coming...it was miserable. Never felt that way before.

I talked to my Doc and was prescribed something to make sure I get good sleep. That and my massage chair have been my savior.

The conditions will change...everything changes. But you need to find a way to let you mind and body gather strength and give yourself the opportunity to overcome obstacles so they don’t overwhelm you. I hope you can find a way to do that. Prior to this I would have insisted that “depression” is just mental weakness...but I now see that attitude is wrong and not helpful. Your mind is incredibly strong and it drives your emotions, negative and positive. I appreciate that you are speaking out and maybe just the acknowledgement internally will allow you to turn the tides and get to a more positive place.

Please speak to your Dr. Mine was absolutely receptive and very encouraging. I needed some help to get back in control and luckily the first thing we tried made a big difference. Had I not spoked up things would not have improved.