Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past week I just purchased my first handgun a g23 gen 3 and am very happy with it so far. shoots well, is simple in construction and seems pretty durable. shooting approx 25 rounds I am not greatly worried about cleaning it now but i know i will have to and it will need to be oiled. being new to the handgun world is there anything i should know or do specifically? thanks for the help and to all the members on this forum, it is really informative and interesting. look forward to the responses and future posts.

·
Long Trail
2,482 Posts
This past week I just purchased my first handgun a g23 gen 3 and am very happy with it so far. shoots well, is simple in construction and seems pretty durable. shooting approx 25 rounds I am not greatly worried about cleaning it now but i know i will have to and it will need to be oiled. being new to the handgun world is there anything i should know or do specifically? thanks for the help and to all the members on this forum, it is really informative and interesting. look forward to the responses and future posts.
Read the manual. Nothing special.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Don't get oil into the internals of the slide, such as the firing pin channel or around the extractor. When field stripped, the base of the guide rod will slightly pop out of its notch in the barrel lug, this is normal, just make sure you fully seat it before reassembly. Once clean, use small drops of oil in the areas indicated by the instruction manual for lubrication.

Here are some videos I found helpful:
nutnfancy Glock Cleaning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako
(he uses grease in the slide rails, it's not necessary, you can use oil)

Glock lubrication:
JamesYeager: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc
R6AJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEA_J0fM2I (this is how I lubricate mine, the video is flipped like looking in a mirror)
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8631536&postcount=25

The things I use:
-Bore rod and brush that came with the pistol(some people prefer phosphor bronze/brass brushes but the nylon works fine for me)
-Hoppe's Nylon Utility Brush(great for brushing breech face and under extractor claw)
-Old/expired soft plastic ID card for wrapping a cloth/patch around to get into the slide rails
-100% cotton rag
-Hoppe's Sontora bulk-pack synthetic patches or Outers synthetic patches
-Q-tips(be careful not to let cotton snag off of these and get left behind in the gun)
-Ballistol oil for wiping down then wiping dry for cleaning/corrosion protection
-Hoppe's Oil for lubrication
-Hoppe's Elite Cleaner for cleaning any part of the gun, even polymer parts
-Hoppe's #9 bore solvent used only for cleaning the bore of the barrel

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, lots of good information here. The 23 is really a sweet pistol, one of my favorites.

Do some searches and you will find more on cleaning than you have time to read. In time you'll get your own routine down, just remember it will be more reliable if it's clean.

Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum and as you can see there is an abundance of knowledge and info to be shared.

My only input regarding cleaning/lubrication comes from the glock armorers class..."do not use any products on your glock that were designed for cars or the kitchen."

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum and as you can see there is an abundance of knowledge and info to be shared.

My only input regarding cleaning/lubrication comes from the glock armorers class..."do not use any products on your glock that were designed for cars or the kitchen."
Especially tomato sauce and canola oil:rofl:

·
Registered
272 Posts
do some research on youtube but dont pay attention to the 5 drops of oil rule. Glocks can run dryer than most guns but if you ever plan on shooting allot of ammo in one range trip (600 to 700 rnds) 5 drops of oil is not enough. You will want to buy some good gun grease for the rails( I like tetra gun grease) and some good gun oil( break free clp or balistol) for the barrel(inside and out), the barrel hood and the disconnector. Good luck and have fun with your new recruit.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've been using Break Free LP to lube, it really stays on and doesnt run at all. I use CLP to clean. Nice choice with the 23 I EDC mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone, got some more rounds through it this week and decided to strip it down and have a go at it. it was awesome the breakdown is so simple and easy to clean and oil. i used what i think is just enough oil and it fires well after cleaning. again thanks everyone and i am stoked to be here and a Glock owner :tongueout:

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts