Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever heard of this method for cleaning your Glock?
Field strip your Glock then spray with Brake Parts Cleaner (non Chlorinated) then let air dry. Lubricate with Mobil one syntactic oil, apply with a Q-tip.

·
38,473 Posts
Not really, but seems like it should work except the brake cleaner might be a bit harsh on the finish if you don't clean it off right away. I wouldn't use automotive oil though, it has a tendency to form condensation which in a car is not an issue since it gets burned off due to the high operating temps but in a carry weapon, might cause some corrosion.

What's wrong with Hoppe's #9 all purpose cleaner/lube? I spray some on my bore snake, 1 pull and it's good as new. That bore snake is really awesome, I tell ya! Should have bought them sooner.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really, but seems like it should work except the brake cleaner might be a bit harsh on the finish if you don't clean it off right away. I wouldn't use automotive oil though, it has a tendency to form condensation which in a car is not an issue since it gets burned off due to the high operating temps but in a carry weapon, might cause some corrosion.

What's wrong with Hoppe's #9 all purpose cleaner/lube? I spray some on my bore snake, 1 pull and it's good as new. That bore snake is really awesome, I tell ya! Should have bought them sooner.
Nothing that’s what I use, was just wondering if you ever heard of it, Thank you

·
Dangerous Toys
79 Posts
Field strip your Glock then spray with Brake Parts Cleaner (non Chlorinated) then let air dry. Lubricate with Mobil one syntactic oil, apply with a Q-tip.
Yes, this is more or less the cleaning method I use, except I use a large syringe to apply the lube precisely to the slide rails and I use BreakFree to clean the bore.

The brake cleaner blasts out powder and fouled oil debris really well. I wrap a bore patch around a dental pick to swab out the small crannies.

·
EnemyOfTheState
6,686 Posts
I used to be a mechanic, and one day I bought a product called "Gun Scrubber"-basically solvent in a spray can. As I used it, I realized it was carb cleaner at 3X the price (I determined this by the smell). Since I do some work on my own cars and am restoring an old car, I have lots of car-related products in my garage. I started using carb cleaner to clean my guns and it works great. I use a seperate bore solvent, but the spray is great for nooks and crannies and general cleaning, as it means I don't have to take as many things apart. They often come with a little straw which allows more precise spraying. Brake cleaner isn't much different and I have used it too. The only problem I've ever had is that it slightly discolored the plastic on the frame of my Ruger MKIII 22/45- the cheapest gun I own. I use carb and brake cleaner on GLOCKs without problems.

More controversial is my use of WD-40 as lube (on some-but not all). Many people say this is bad, but I have an AR-15 with very tight tolerances that only works well with light oil, and WD-40 is cheap. I've been using it for years and have no problems related to it.

·
Nevada Glocker
482 Posts
OK, what's the deal with people coming up with bizarre ways to clean a gun? This isn't directed at you, OP, since you said you clean your gun like a normal human being. Honestly though....we've had a lot of this "I stick my Glock in the dishwasher" or " I clean my gun in a tub of water with denture cleaner" stuff goin' on here. Is it cheapness or do people just crave the high of doing rediculous **** to their Glocks? It's like buying a Subaru and pissing in the gas tank just to see if it will run.

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
what is this "cleaning" you speak of?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used to be a mechanic, and one day I bought a product called "Gun Scrubber"-basically solvent in a spray can. As I used it, I realized it was carb cleaner at 3X the price (I determined this by the smell). Since I do some work on my own cars and am restoring an old car, I have lots of car-related products in my garage. I started using carb cleaner to clean my guns and it works great. I use a seperate bore solvent, but the spray is great for nooks and crannies and general cleaning, as it means I don't have to take as many things apart. They often come with a little straw which allows more precise spraying. Brake cleaner isn't much different and I have used it too. The only problem I've ever had is that it slightly discolored the plastic on the frame of my Ruger MKIII 22/45- the cheapest gun I own. I use carb and brake cleaner on GLOCKs without problems.

More controversial is my use of WD-40 as lube (on some-but not all). Many people say this is bad, but I have an AR-15 with very tight tolerances that only works well with light oil, and WD-40 is cheap. I've been using it for years and have no problems related to it.
Man I never thought of using carb cleaner on my glock. I work in a marine repair shop and I know how good that stuff is on cleaning just about anything and you really dont even have to dry it off. Next range trip I'm gonna try it out.

·
EnemyOfTheState
6,686 Posts
OK, what's the deal with people coming up with bizarre ways to clean a gun? This isn't directed at you, OP, since you said you clean your gun like a normal human being. Honestly though....we've had a lot of this "I stick my Glock in the dishwasher" or " I clean my gun in a tub of water with denture cleaner" stuff goin' on here. Is it cheapness or do people just crave the high of doing rediculous **** to their Glocks? It's like buying a Subaru and pissing in the gas tank just to see if it will run.
Speaking only for myself, as I started shooting a lot more, I began to seek easier ways to clean guns. Cleaning them is tiresome, but I am too obsessive not to. If I got to bed on a range day without cleaning my guns, I'll lay there thinking that my guns are dirty and have difficulty resting, just as when I notice my car is due an oil change it bothers me until it's done.

In my defense-"Gun Scrubber" is a product sold as a gun cleaner; I used it and it works quite well. I only started using carb cleaner when I realized it was the same stuff, only cheaper. They are all chemical solvents, why use the most expensive one?

·
Wildey's here
1,003 Posts
been using cheap automotive lubes and solvents on all of my firearms for over 20 years...
10w30, 10w40, whatever i have on hand.. Brake & carb cleaner works well for clean up

tech tip - check out Liquid Wrench Foaming L4 by Gunk :cool:

·
38,473 Posts
Some good ideas... I am going to try the carb cleaner but my main problem is cleaning the AR without completely unhinging the assembies or is that a necessary evil?

·
EnemyOfTheState
6,686 Posts
I find carb cleaner works well on many things, but it won't take off hard carbon (like on an AR-15 bolt). On my AR-15, I use it to clean inside the receivers. It's really good for cleaning out the lower without removing the trigger group. Once dry, these can be oiled in place. You will still want to dissassemble the bolt and scrub the passages and the firing pin as always. It works really well for on-the-spot range cleanings too. My AR-15 doesn't like dirt and will start to malfunction on a long range day (not that I can afford to shoot it that much anymore-ammo costs too much now:crying:). I pull the bolt and spray it and the chamber area with carb cleaner, then hit it with WD-40 or Rem-oil and it's good for more shooting.

I also use it to remove remnants of bore cleaner and solvent. I use Blue Wonder bore cleaner, which is really good stuff, but it's gooey and leaves a residue. A quick spray of carb cleaner removes any dingy solvent or bore cleaner and leaves the metal clean (and dry: since it evaporates quickly).

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:hearts:

I really luv reading through these highly toxic, truly carcinogenic; 'How I Clean My Glock' threads. You guys can be sooo .... frigg 'in creative! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brake cleaner works well, but it is a bit harsh on plastic parts. Lately i've been using electric motor cleaner to flush away the debris after first cleaning with #9 or Breakfree. It does a nice job of degreasing and flushing and is easier on plastics.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Even the non-chlorinated brake cleaner is bad to breathe and will attack many plastics/paints, although the Glock polymer seems to be ok over the short term. It will definitely eat the clearcoat on a Ruger 10-22. For anything except all steel, I use Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber; only when needed.
Your Glock will probably run well and resist rust even if lubed with yak fat, but Breakfree CLP does a good job of, uh, Cleaning, Lubricating, and Protecting against rust. Others may be a little better, but I'm too busy to re-invent the wheel.

G

·
I use G-96 and I have never had any problems with it. I am the fourth generation in my family to use this degreaser/oil to protect our firearms. I moved awy from my hometown back in the day and could not find the stuff and had to switch to a substitute. I tried all of the brands at the time (late eighties) and had problems with my guns picking up fingerprint problems and other rusting issues. Luckily I have found G-96 online and it has cured the problem. I use the G-96 to break up the crud, blow out the crap with air pressure, and lighly oil with shaving brush (sprayed with G-96) and lube with a grease with autos. I will never have anything bad to say against other products but with the G-96 I have the ability to use/abuse the guns as far as rain, sweat, fingerprints, ect. and never have to worry about the finish. I swaped a guy a Reminton 20 gauge that my dad bought in 1980 and the guy that bought it from me thought it was never used, I told him that that gun shot more rabbitts, squirrels, nd other critters that he could shack a stick at and it had been protected with G-96 and he said "no wonder the wood and steel look so good--I used it for many years and he had started to use the stuff in the military".

check it out. http://www.g96.com/

·
Dangerous Toys
79 Posts
why not just use gun cleaning products?
An excellent question! Basically, some of us, like gearjammer351, realize that some "gun cleaning products" are the exact same thing as automotive cleaning products that cost one third the price. "Gun cleaning products" are made and marketed by people who realize that most shooters think their pistol is magically different from any other machine with sliding, reciprocating parts, and will pay any price for something that says "Gun scrub, Gun oil, Gun protector" on it.

Now, I don't advocate cleaning a pistol in a dishwasher (although you probably clean plenty of kitchen appliances made of much lower quality metal and plastic than a Glock for years that way with no ill effect) but brake cleaner was designed to disolve and flush dusty residue mixed with oil and subjected to high temperatures. That is exactly the composition of what I blast out of my pistol. As gearjammer also said, brake cleaner doesn't touch hard carbon, so I'll use Break Free on the bore and breach face. But brake cleaner works great on everything else and dries completely. If anyone can recount a case of brake cleaner melting Glock polymer, please share because it'll be the first case I've ever heard about.

I'm not "re-inventing the wheel"; I just use my brain and don't accept the hype. Mobil 1 was formulated to lubricate machines that generate kinetic and thermal energy many time in excess of any pistol, and cycle more times in fifteen minutes than any Glock's service life.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts