close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning slide with alcohol

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by guns54, Mar 12, 2012.

1. guns54

guns54 toni

I used isopropyl rubbing alcohol,usp 70%, the guy at the gun shop said it will rust the slide. Thanks.

2. Presscheck40

Presscheck40 Presscheck40

Put a very lite coat of oil on it after cleaning.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

3. guns54

guns54 toni

thank you sir. p.s. I cleaned may be 4 or 5 times and didnt put any oil on it, any harm done.

4. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Youre fine, alcohol will NOT rust the slide, it dries too quickly. I clean my slide with alcohol all the time to clean any oil off of places it isnt supposed to be, never had a single bad side effect.

5. Presscheck40

Presscheck40 Presscheck40

+1 I have used alcohol to clean before. No harm done at all.

6. guns54

guns54 toni

Thank all of you for the help. Have a safe and nice night.

7. righteoushoot

righteoushoot Deluxe Member

Maybe it's that the alcohol takes off all the protective oil, leaving it vulnerable.

8. ken grant

ken grant

70% Alcohol leaves a lot of water behind in the form of bubbles as it dries.
    I always use 91% for any cleaning.

9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

This is a good point....everclear would be good for cleaning also, since it is 95% alcohol, and yes, I am serious.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

When I use alcohol to clean the gun, I prefer ethanol over isopropyl. I usually lick it off rather than risk incomplete evaporation.

11. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hickok45 uses rubbing alcohol to clean his Glocks in the concentration range you are using (90-95% isopropyl alcohol). Ballistol and rubbing alcohol are the only solvents and lubricant he uses. He recorded the Glock cleaning videos linked below.

To the OP, one thing is guaranteed, if rubbing alcohol caused any harm to a Glock pistol, Greg Hickok would have discovered it years ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc"]Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco"]Glock Cleaning 2 (Slide Disassembly) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  12. guns54

guns54 toni

Thank you Sir.Have a safe night.

13. Roger H

Roger H

just don't drink any alcohol when cleaning your guns. and i think hickoc uses degenerated alcohol

14. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Yup, denatured (90% or higher, I believe...) to clean out the slide stuff. Works like a champ on your computer's keyboard/trackpad/mouse, too!

I've used it for years with no ill effects. Just make sure you oil what's supposed to be oiled, though.

15. NCHeel

NCHeel

Denatured alcohol is good too. I use the 91% Isopropyl though. You have to remember 70% alcohol has 30% water.

16. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

You may be referring to a throw-away line that Hickok utters as an afterthought at the 4:35 time mark of the first video, but he isn't using denatured alcohol in the video to clean his Glock. Just to be clear, Hickok45 is using common rubbing alcohol made from isopropyl alcohol and purified water that he buys in a concentration in the range of 90-95% alcohol. I asked this question and he confirmed it in a PM several months ago.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol (grain alcohol) that has been rendered unfit for human consumption by adding poisonous and foul-tasting chemicals. Dozens of different additives can be combined with ethanol to make denatured alcohol including (but not limited to) methanol, isopropyl alcohol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, pyridine, benzene, diethyl phthalate, naphtha, and even gasoline to name a few.

My only point is if you want to use denatured alcohol for cleaning just be sure first what is in it. I'm sticking with simple 90-95% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) in water for my Glock. I have used some 99% isopropyl alcohol that I bought at Amazon.com in the past, but it doesn't do any better job of cleaning IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  17. albinlee

albinlee

Thats BS dude! LOL! :faint:

I use isopropyl on not only my Glock slides but also a bare stainless Kahr slide (which would be MUCH more likely to rust than a Glock slide), and do not show even a hint of rust on any of my pistols. If you were that worried, you could use 90% instead of 70% isopropyl, or use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as an alternative. Also, if you intend to store your gun in the safe for extended periods, wipe the slide down with a silicone rag or a lightly oiled rag (I use Ballistol). Standard procedure for me.

As a side note, have you ever seen the Glock 21 torture test floating around the internet? (there was a post on GT at one point as well). You wouldn't believe what it takes to instigate rust in a Tenifer treated Glock slide.

18. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

I've learned to take the things said at my LGS with a grain of salt. Others results may vary.

I've bathed all my Glocks in hot water and dish soap after a detail strip. Been doing it for years and no ill effects yet. If anything would rust it, id imagine it would be that.

19. NCHeel

NCHeel

I'll throw mine in a soapy bowl of water also. I use the alcohol to dissipate the water.

20. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

Correct!

We use alcohol in the Navy to clean a lot of parts and areas in aircraft. If it caused corrosion/rust it would be stopped with a quickness. I personally wouldn't use it on firearms. It can dry plastics/polymers out. The plastic areas I have used it on eventually appear to be faded with a white haze like appearance. It goes away when a oil or corrosion preventor is applied. It does and will reappear when that wears out. Not sure what it would do to a Glock's polymer parts. We also use a dry cleaning solvent that has the same effect. With all the products out there made for firearms I don't bother with other products not specifically made for them. Doesn't mean they(things like alcohol, motor oil, etc) don't work the same, less or better. I just don't mess with it.