Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Texan
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a M642 revolver and love shooting the little thing. I have always cleaned guns to the extent where I could no longer see any fouling of any sort, but the smith is proving to be very difficult. I've really always been an auto shooter so this is new to me.

When ya'll clean your revolvers do you get every speck of grime off of the forcing cone area and if so, how do you do it? I have been scrubbing with a stiff tooth brush for a good 15 minutes and cannot remove some of it using hopes 9 solvet. It almost looks more like lead than fouling. Here is a pic:

Thanks,

Nathan

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Small brush and solvent is all You need.
Don't worry about it too much.
It's revolver.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
does not have to be spotless.

·
Texan
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going at it with the stiff-bristle tooth brush didn't do much good. Are you suggesting I buy another proper gun cleaning small brush and scrub away, or that I should just leave it as it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
It looks fine, but if you really want to clean it try Birchwood Casey Lead Remover cloth. It also works good on the rings that show up on the front of the cylinder.

·
Texan
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks fine, but if you really want to clean it try Birchwood Casey Lead Remover cloth. It also works good on the rings that show up on the front of the cylinder.
Thanks, I will leave it for now and see if it bugs me enough to buy one of those.

I was just about to ask about those rings around the cylinder :embarassed:

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Thanks, I will leave it for now and see if it bugs me enough to buy one of those.

I was just about to ask about those rings around the cylinder :embarassed:
Those rings are normal as well.
This is the beauty of the wheel gun - low maintenance, big boom.

·
Texan
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, I just wanted to be sure being new-ish to revolver shooting. After putting 200 rounds of 158 grain cast lead bullets through it, it was in pretty dirty shape.

On a side note, Nestor I love the BHP you posted in another thread!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you bought a blued revolver, you wouldn't notice the fouling around the forcing cone or the burn rings. :wavey:

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Thanks all, I just wanted to be sure being new-ish to revolver shooting. After putting 200 rounds of 158 grain cast lead bullets through it, it was in pretty dirty shape.

On a side note, Nestor I love the BHP you posted in another thread!
Thanks and welcome in the wonderful World of the revolvers.
I will try to post some more pictures, once I will put my hands on it.

·
Stop the steal!
18,031 Posts
Try the brass bristle toothbrush instead. Doesn't scratch the metal but stiffer than nylon bristle.
Good suggestion. These brass "tooth brushes" are very cheap, and can be found in your local hardware store. They are used for cleaning metal parts in the shop, but work well for your purposes, too......

In a pinch, you can always mount an old bore brush on your cleaning rod......this works too......

hog

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Good suggestion. These brass "tooth brushes" are very cheap, and can be found in your local hardware store. They are used for cleaning metal parts in the shop, but work well for your purposes, too......

In a pinch, you can always mount an old bore brush on your cleaning rod......this works too......

hog
Heck, go to Wally World's shooting section. They have a pack of three toothbrushes (nylon, brass & stainless steel) for like $7.

·
woo woo
31,041 Posts
That spot around the FC will never look the same once you really shoot it...the stainless guns can clean up pretty well, but on the aluminum frames it will get dark there and you just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
If you bought a blued revolver, you wouldn't notice the fouling around the forcing cone or the burn rings. :wavey:
Yup, for some reason the alloy frame silver guns show the grime. I dont worry about the discoloration, just make sure to remove any buildup to ensure the cylinder can spin freely.

I let a little solvent soak in for 15mins or so, then scrub with an old toothbrush just like you did. from the looks of your pic you should be good to go.

·
Floyd
3,569 Posts
I use a new patch with solvent and fold it over a few times..... work it back and forth in there.... kind of like I'm flossing.

But I'm not anal about it or anything..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts