Cleaning question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OK Bowhunter, Apr 9, 2010.

1. OK Bowhunter

OK Bowhunter

Should I ever completely dissamble my glock to clean it. For example say after shooting 500 rounds? I am a little concerned with debris in the striker channel. When I clean I try to keep it up so solvent does not get into it, but I think that it may get some powder, dirt, etc in it in time.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

The frame hardly ever needs to be detail stripped for cleaning. Detail stripping the frame too often will widen the holes in the frame for the frame pins to the point that they'll "walk" out of their holes while firing.

I'd detail strip the slide and clean it every 1000 rounds.

3. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

That's what I do. Or I'll do it if I buy a used Glock before I shoot it.

4. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

We could have a cleaning section on the forum and it'd have more threads than the for sale section.

5. MonsterB

MonsterB

yeah what the others said...I finally detail cleaned mine after 4k rounds and it was filthy...I had to pry the extractor out it was so gunked up....it was so easy that I may now do it every 500 to 1000 rounds or so....I wouldn't worry about the frame....just clean what u can with brush and some elbow grease

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I detail strip my slide after each range session. They say a complete strip just once a year. I do mine for fun after 1000 rds. You be amazed of all the grit and how dirty it gets. I can spend 30 mins or more just cleaning one of my Glocks. Then again in the Military if you have a dirty weapon you will do pushups for ever.:rofl:

7. CynicX

CynicX

I'd probably only completely strip the gun for two reasons. 1. It was used and I wanted to get it too 'like new' status. 2. 5000-10000 rounds of use, give or take depending on how it looked.

Detail stripping the slide. Maybe every 500-1000 rounds depending on how it it looks. And I'll definitely do it if I plan on storing it for a while.

Detail stripping the slide is pretty simple though. I'll usually do it in the living while watching TV and it takes 5-10 minutes. I end up doing it more then I need too.

8. Jim S.

Jim S.

I think it is more of a personal choice since the Glocks will perform even after being abused to the point that you couldn't get one that dirty under normal use.
    Such as in the infamus torture tests.
    That being said I think it is up to you to decide how clean you want your gun.
    It is also a matter of closely inspecting internal parts for wear or damage.
    The Glocks are probably the easiest guns I have ever owned to completely detil strip.
    I like to relax after a range session and detail strip my guns, clean them to the point of being as clean as the day they were made.
    I look at each part to make sure it is in good condition and doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
    It is a pleasurable thing to do and I think it is theraputic in a way.
    My carry guns are never dirty. Actually none of my guns are ever dirty. If I wasn't anal about this before I went into the Marine Corps, I certainly was when I came out of the Corps.
    If you can't spend the hour cleaning your gun then you are either too busy or too lazy.
    Take good care of your weapon, and it will take good care of you.

9. Jim S.

Jim S.

This is something people who don't strip their frames like to say.
    I say you have to be smarter than the gun.
    I have over 9000 rounds through both of my Glocks.
    Detail stripped every time I shot them.
    No loose pin holes, no walking pins. No problems.
    If you do it properly and don't animal it, you shouldn't have a problem.

10. kda

kda NRA Life Member

Agree on slide maintenance. I just cleaned mine earlier this evening after just 1,000 rounds since the last cleaning. I am always surprised at how dirty it gets around the extractor. I find it hard to believe my G26 would keep firing (more accurately ejecting) perfectly after a couple thousand rounds with no cleaning of the extractor mechanism. Surprisingly, the firing pin channel stays pretty clean. Go figure.

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

I never will understand the reason for that. The frame comes clean with Q-tips, a brush and patches for me. I use an old tooth-brush on the extractor after firing and fouling doesn't build up there. I don't know if the pin holes will enlarge or not, it never has come up as a problem. The bore gets brushes, solvent and patches and never has needed anything else. When the bore is cleaned, I push the firing pin safety button down and shake the slide. If you hear "tinka-tinka", the firing pin isn't gummed up. Use the "pencil" test on the firing pin. Drop a new wood pencil, eraser down in the Glock barrel (pointed up) and pull the trigger. The pencil should be launched at least a foot (usually more). My oldest Glock is over 12 years and never has been detail stripped. I never have seen the point. I won't be able to wear any of my Glock pistols out, I don't think.

12. mboylan

mboylan

I'm not a big fan of military cleaning habits. M-16s are some of the most over-cleaned (to the point of damage) and under-lubed (they like it really wet) rifles in the world. No wonder why the uppers only last around 7000 rounds in the armed forces.

Do what makes sense. The chamber, extractor and firing pin channel can cause problems if way too dirty.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  13. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:thumbsup: Your OCD cleaning posts rock! I like my guns clean as well. Guns are happy when they are either being shot and getting dirty or after being shot cleaned and lubed.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I just detail stripped and cleaned my slide on my G26. Have a least 2000 rounds through it and 90% of it is dirty stuff (Blazer, Wolf, Brown Bear). It really wasn't very dirty at all in there. I really only did it because I was curious about detail stripping and I wanted to get the smell of that nasty Brown Bear ammo out. Detail stripping the slide is unbelievably easy. It's literally almost as easy as basic field stripping. I think detail stripping the frame will be harder but still not too hard.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  15. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

I finally detail stripped my G23 after maybe 700 rounds, just because I was installing the "-" connector and had everything apart anyways. Was much less dirty than I envisioned. I doubt I'll break it all down again for a few thousand rounds. There really is no point in my opinion.

Being a marine, my personal weapons will NEVER be as clean as my M16 when I was a boot. After the first deployment, my issued weapon never got more than "combat clean" which was more than enough.

Glocks like being dirty! :wavey:

16. burthouse

burthouse

This right here. You're not going to damage the frame if you detail strip it PROPERLY! If you don't know how to do it you may but if you do it properly you'll be fine. The pistols at the armorers class are stripped probably 50 times per class and still aren't lose, the pins don't walk, and there isn't a problem with them.

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

And what is your reasoning doing this?

18. Jim S.

Jim S.

Several reasons actually.
    First I prefer my guns to be PERFECTLY clean when I either carry them or put them in the safe.
    Secondly I like to look at each part as I clean them because I can then see what is wearing or having a problem and this is a little insurance for the guns I carry to save my ass.
    Third I like my guns to look like I care about the condition of them if a Police Officer ever asks to see my weapon during a traffic stop or anything else.
    They do have that right and I do not want it to look like I just used it or don't know enough to take care of it.
    Fourth it is my personal preference to take this level of care for my weapons as they are the tool that may save my ass.
    I also clean my tools that I use to work on my car or anything else.
    I was taught to do this and if you were not that is your problem.
    Do I believe that Glocks can go on forever without being cleaned?
    Yes I do but mine will be clean. Yours can be filthy and I won't care or say anything to you.

19. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Chill dude. I was just asking. If it works 4 u fine.

20. AustinTx

AustinTx

Sometime it get's a little spooky around here.