Cleaning out the food cabinets today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by quantico, Sep 27, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Nothing crazy old or bad. Time to get rid of 2 year old stuff in cardboard boxes. Found about ten jars of pasta sauce. Three expired 12/19 so those can be eaten if they go first. Pasta sauce can stay good a long time.
    Found enough ramin and soup for weeks. Glad to get it sorted. I hate not knowing what I have or how old it is. I bought coffee filters last week and found 400 more today. So have 2 years of coffee filters and maybe 10 pounds of coffee beans in foil bags. But I go thru a lot of seatles best coffee in a month.
    How long is a reasonable time for boxed dry pasta ?? I have maybe 6 boxes of rotini. Have not checked dates but my guess is 12 months old...
    Found nothing that was scary old. In a pinch all of it could be eaten. I just like to keep things fresh and not overly deep. I have no problem having a month or two worth of food for two people. And I think in an emergency I have half of that tops.

When covid hit I thought I had a couple months worth of food at home. I was actually at half that or less. I guess with maybe ten of the fancy bags of rice meals and 5 lb or bagged rice I could make it a month..

I had mormon friends that had at least 6 months. If not a year of food ready. But it was always what they ate daily. Not some wierd food plan.. when they bought soup or rice it was cases and dated it and rotated the food. They often donated food to familys in need. I respect that.

So do most of you have food organized and stocked. Or run to the store every other day so you dont starve ? I never understood the wisconsin hey there is a snow storm coming. Buy 400 dollars worth of food.. which I see quite often.

I have friends that seem to think being prepared food wise is pretzels and doritos and wings and ranch dressing.. which is great.. unless that is your entire food supply.

nitesit(+ an e) likes this.
  2. flyover

flyover

I could live off the pantry for a couple of weeks maybe more. The most difficult items are fresh foods.

Caver 60 and nitesit(+ an e) like this.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I vacuum seal all my bulk items. I've got months worth of pantry staples.

jimcorbin, G30SF/F-250 and flyover like this.
  4. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I am not a prepper.

But I am responsible for almost 100% of food preparation in my home, because that is what I like to do.

So my obsession with having the pantry shelves packed to the gills comes from my ability to meal plan "on the fly" and not have to run to the supermarket very often. If something sounds like it would go well with glazed salmon, well voila I have just the thing right there!

A lot of times I have to pass buy a really good sale on a 10/$10 because I know I simply don't have the space in my cupboards for it.

n2g and flyover like this.
  5. flyover

flyover

I'm 16 miles to the nearest grocery store. It costs to much to run back and forth to the store every day. I try to do a grocery run once a week.

FullClip and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

We could go months with the food we have - but it would get old eating rice, beans, noodles / spaghetti and canned vegetables.

I have a few cans of span type stuff and a case of Vienna Sausages - but that would also get old fast.

I also have a bunch of powdered milk - and we always keep a bunch of breakfast type cereal.

I guess if things ever get that bad we will be glad we have something to eat.

flyover likes this.
  7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I like having basic food. To make rice and pasta and casarole. Dont mind buying fresh bread and milk twice a week.. but if I got sick or society was going nuts I want to have minimum a month worth of stuff to eat. Not saying pasta and mac n cheese and soup or ravioli is fun the second or third time in a week. But its there. I have a few frozen dinners and pizzas and steaks and italians .. so the grill can do lots for the first week.

Had a boss woman that literally only had hot peppers and pickels in her home. Not a bagel or peanut butter sandwich or slice of toast. Nothing frozen or fresh or veggie or meat. She has a 165 IQ . But in life functions can be an idiot. I asked her once why not even 5 cans of soup or some canned vegtables. A can of beef stew. She seemed perplexed. Had no idea.. said she could call for delivery.

8. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

We could go 2 or 3 months without a store visit if we had to.

That being said, we grocery shop every week or 2......

Our only close neighbor is an every day shopper.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  9. jayglocker

jayglocker

Powdered spices and other condiments will enhance bland recipes to excellent/palatable everyday viand. Grilling with just salt and pepper gets old specially eaten everyday. Try eating oysters on a half shell without the cocktail sauce. Yummy? I think not...unless it's the oyster between the legs...lol.

10. ron b

ron b

I have enough rice, beans, whole wheat, dried eggs, etc to make it through the next ice age. The canned food still has over 10 years on its use by date.

With my canned goods that I try to rotate the best I can if The food starts to approach the use by date I bag them up and give them to the homeless begging for money. All of the people take the cans that I encounter.

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I like oysters without cocktail sauce. :dunno:

Desert Kraut and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  12. syntaxerrorsix

Me too. Right out the river.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Pasta rice beans etc.. last "forever"

until the bugs find them..

if it gets scary at that point.. eat the bugs.

14. syntaxerrorsix

Always eat the bugs.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I get to use up anything my son left behind and just buy what my wife and I like. He left a lot of boxed pasta, rice and potato meals and other things easy for a college kid to make quick.

16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

This chore and replacing the shelf liners has been on my "to-do" list for a long time. I think I got some mac-n-cheeze dinner boxes that saw both Bush administrations.

17. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

We eat mostly fresh foods but I do have an emergency stock of canned goods, beans, rice, and pasta in the survival section of my basement. I also keep wine, bourbon, rum and vodka there too. The freezer is stocked as well. It all gets rotated as the needed.

My neighbor has a big garden and she gives us some of the stuff she cans. She took care of us this year. We could live off her canning for 3 months if needed.

We also keep plenty of TP, paper towels, soap, toothpaste, and 12 cases of water on hand. We have plenty of fuel for the generator, and plenty of propane for the grill. We learned our lesson with hurricane Ike in Sept of 2008.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  18. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

When people here say "boxed pasta" , is that code for Kraft macaroni and cheese?

If so, watch out for those "cheese" packets. They turn brown when their lifespan is over.

FullClip likes this.
  19. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

We try to stock basic staples that will last us for a few months. We enhance that with canned goods, foil packs of prepared foods, powdered milk, etc. We keep a basic supply of alcohol for us and an additional alcohol supply for barter. We have a freezer full of various meats and keep a pretty full fresh food supply in the main fridge. Hard candy and chocolate is also kept on hand to boost our morale if needed.

20. Squid1

Squid1

We maintain around 6 months of food (canned, jar, box)and supplies (tp, paper towels, napkins, etc) against probability that supply chain could, as it does, just stop. During covid the friends who 'discounted' our rotating stash were embarrassed about our their immature lack of concern for food (and THEY got up at 5am to be first inline for food, TP etc.) Most food is rotated - slowly because we eat from the vegetable garden first, farmers market second and fresh purchases third. it's not like fires, storms, earthquakes, epidemics are in any way unusual. (also stock diesel fuel for jeep which is part of emergency evacuations and electric generator if electricity goes down, batteries and of course thousands of rounds for pistols and rifle in case some miscreants come to take supplies. Cannot understand why others do not prepare for supply chain stopping.