close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning my Glock 19 first time

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnnyCash, May 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

Hello,

I just purchased my first handgun ever- a new Glock 19. Did lots of research and found that this was the best gun for me.

I took it shooting (about a 100 rounds) and I just got done cleaning it and had a few questions:

1. Will "Gun Scrubber" spray damage, in any way, the polymer frame? I sprayed EVERY internal part of the gun.

2. In the instruction booklet that comes with the gun- are the points were it say to put oil the only places it should go? That Gun Scrubber TOTALLY stripped the gun dry. Works great.

3. Should I use any lube besides gun oil?

4. How often should I field strip and clean ( I know Glocks can take more abuse)? How often should it be totally taken apart and cleaned?

Thanks!

2. Sikhed

Sikhed cat-herder

1. No, solvents won't bother the Glock's plastic or finish (with the exception of MEK (methyl Ethyl Keytone) but you shouldn't be using that anyway, nasty stuff.

2. Oil where the manual tells you to

3. Not necessary, but a lot of us use Mobil 1, or other speciality gun oils.

4. Most people will say: Every time after shooting it. I'll clean mine around every 500 rounds, (1 or 2 times out)

(5) Detail-strip once for the 25¢ trigger job, and maybe once a year or 1K rounds. No hard & fast rules there.

Enjoy your new pistol, shoot often:)