close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cleaning leaded Glock barrels

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lobo, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Lobo

Lobo Who farted??

If you shoot lead in your Glocks like I do, here's a trick when it comes time to clean your barrel. Find an appropriate dish or bowl and mix in 50% vinegar with 50% hydrogen peroxide. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Wash out the barrel with warm water and clean as usual. No lead and it'll look like new!

2. philkryder

philkryder

Lobo - Thanks!
    I've heard of this before.
    Do you have any thoughts as to what compound of lead is formed by the chemical action involved with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide?
    Is it more or less dangerous than metalic lead?

Also, what precautions do you take to keep from ingesting or absorbing the compound?
    How do you safely dispose of it after you've finished your cleaning?

The thing I like about a brass brush on an electric drill is that it doesn't change the chemistry of the metalic lead. Metalic lead is very inert. Also the brass brush is very soft relative to the tennifer treated barrel.

thanks! Phil

3. bbort

bbort

Mix and keep your solution in an old contact lens solution bottle that you have relabeled. Plug the end of your barrel with a foam type ear plug. Hold the barrell upright by some means and pour solution into barrel till full. You use less solution and you keep it off of blueing

4. john from md

john from md

Hey guys, I am not a metalurgist but I believe using hydrogen peroxide is a no no because it can cause hydrogen embrittlement and weaken the barrel steel.

Regards,