cleaning leaded Glock barrels

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lobo, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Lobo

Lobo Who farted??

If you shoot lead in your Glocks like I do, here's a trick when it comes time to clean your barrel. Find an appropriate dish or bowl and mix in 50% vinegar with 50% hydrogen peroxide. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Wash out the barrel with warm water and clean as usual. No lead and it'll look like new!

w30olds and Cali.Glock like this.
  2. philkryder

philkryder

Lobo - Thanks!
    I've heard of this before.
    Do you have any thoughts as to what compound of lead is formed by the chemical action involved with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide?
    Is it more or less dangerous than metalic lead?

Also, what precautions do you take to keep from ingesting or absorbing the compound?
    How do you safely dispose of it after you've finished your cleaning?

The thing I like about a brass brush on an electric drill is that it doesn't change the chemistry of the metalic lead. Metalic lead is very inert. Also the brass brush is very soft relative to the tennifer treated barrel.

thanks! Phil

3. bbort

bbort

Mix and keep your solution in an old contact lens solution bottle that you have relabeled. Plug the end of your barrel with a foam type ear plug. Hold the barrell upright by some means and pour solution into barrel till full. You use less solution and you keep it off of blueing

4. john from md

john from md

Hey guys, I am not a metalurgist but I believe using hydrogen peroxide is a no no because it can cause hydrogen embrittlement and weaken the barrel steel.

Regards,

5. igolfat8

igolfat8

Or you could just use a few strands of CHORE BOY wrapped around an old bronze brush and scrub it using most any solvent. Lead will come out easily with a few strokes and you don’t have any dangerous lead solution to deal with as mentioned above.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I too use 99% copper Chore Boy pad, clipped and wrapped around my chamber brush, works fine and is quick.

The risks outlined in the case against hydrogen peroxide and vinegar for lead removable (i.e. the creation of lead acetate) is highly overstated in the concentrations you will be using with off the shelf home use peroxide (like 4%) and vinegar, very little lead acetate is going to be formed.

My bottom line is why would I screw around with chemicals when I can address it so easily with the wrapped with copper chore boy chamber brush and CLP?

I had one monstrous case of leading in my G21 barrel and likely should have used the vinegar and peroxide, but stuck to the scrubbing and it took awhile. Most times, with the chore boy, it is less time that it would be to mix the vinegar and peroxide.

Scott1970, porschedog, Elicsx and 2 others like this.
  7. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-yay...

8. MajorD

MajorD

I have been shooting cast bullets in glocks for about 25 years. A few swipes of a brass brush every 200 rounds ( dry brush followed by a few dry patches no solvents at all) always did the trick

Cali.Glock and WeeWilly like this.
  9. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

The vinegar/hydrogen peroxide mix is used for cleaning non-aluminum .22 suppressors. Works like a charm!!

G19 DB and curtmini14 like this.
  10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The "Lead Cocktail" recipe has been around since the 20's. It's an old Bullseye shooters recipe. It works best on stainless steel, as it can't touch that, but if you leave it in an OEM Glock barrel, it can pit it. Hydrogen doesn't work that way,

The first, known as internal hydrogen embrittlement, occurs when the hydrogen enters molten metal which becomes supersaturated with hydrogen immediately after solidification.

Do you have any thoughts as to what compound of lead is formed by the chemical action involved with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide?
    Is it more or less dangerous than metalic lead?

Also, what precautions do you take to keep from ingesting or absorbing the compound?
    How do you safely dispose of it after you've finished your cleaning?

No compound is formed with the cocktail. It is just lead oxide in the solution of a weak acetic acid after being reduced by the hydrogen peroxide. It would take much higher concentrations of peroxide and the solution would have to be boiled to react anything. It is no more dangerous than handling lead bullets. Lead cannot be absorbed thru the skin. Shooters get lead from gun exhaust. The lead base gets to over 1,200 F during ignition, and some of the bullet shears off thru the bore, and the lead from the primer ( lead styphnate) during combustion. You breathe this in directly to your lungs, which goes into your bloodstream. Anyone who shoots more than 200 rounds a month needs to be tested. I quit lead after my level got to 28 shooting 4-6 matches a month in competition. I switched to Bayous and it dropped to 6, about the same as guys running FMJs.

The cocktail will evaporate on it's own, leaving just a fraction of lead. I pour it out on a cleaning patch, then toss the patch.

11. Mike-M

Mike-M

It's pure nonsense to re-open a thread whose last post was more than 16 years ago. The OP hasn't even shown up on Glock Talk for more than two years.

Start a fresh new thread if you have wisdom to share.

WeeWilly likes this.
  12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

[​IMG]after about 225 rounds of Bear Creek Moly lead in a BarSto barrel

[​IMG]

solution at work

[​IMG]

after the lead cocktail

[​IMG]

the residual moly and lead

[​IMG]

boilergonzo likes this.
  13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Totally agree. I got to create a "pre-post" checklist.

1) Age of thread. Check.

G19 DB likes this.
  14. igolfat8

igolfat8

FYI,
    FYI, the thread was on the FIRST page when I opened GT last night. If it’s an old thread, I’m not sure how it showed up? Sorry if sharing my opinion ruffled your feathers. Hope you have a nice day.

MNBud likes this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

That has happened to me as well. Not sure how it happens.

16. LMFAO

LMFAO

The media company that owns this site seems to be trying to learn how to run and be a media company. Or maybe this site is actually part of a lesson in IT school. :supergrin:

WeeWilly likes this.
  17. Cali.Glock

Cali.Glock

This may very well be the oldest resurrected thread I've seen since the beginning of time. 2 Generations of Glocks have come out since.

Luckily it is still relevant, since Glock has not changed much anyway, lol.

Scott1970, timmay and G19 DB like this.
  18. tenntornado

tenntornado

Chore boy works good,
    Windows XP baby.

19. G19 DB

G19 DB

That's a GT faux pas? :dunno: :D

WeeWilly likes this.
  20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Hey, I was happily reading along, and didn't notice until others pointed it out. As a bonus, I got to see 9x45's post and photos!

There is a thread going where I posted a reply, later it wasn't there. I posted a reply noting the old post didn't show up, so I was posting again. Today, all the posts are there.

GlockTalk has been a bit of a mess the last few days! I am sure they are frantically trying to keep things normal while plugging the holes that have shown up!