close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning DVD'S.CD'S,CD/ROM question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Time, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

What's the best home remedity for cleaning DVD's,CD's and such?Useing home cleaning solutions please,What about major scratches? Thank you.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

For major scratches, use a moist paper towel and a thin film of white toothpaste on the polymer disk surface. Wipe from the inside to the outside, not back and forth around the CD, until the dent/scratch is smoothed. Rinse, dry and test frequently.

For disks that don't want to play but have few if any noticable flaws: hand lotion is the thing to use.

Just wipe a film of the stuff on with a finger then use a dry Kleenex or paper towel to wipe the stuff off, again from the outside to the inside, perpendicular to thje direction the tracks are laid down.

If all else fails, put the disk in boiling water for a few seconds, then pull it out and dry it carefully with a clean paper towel.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I've heard the first one, but never the last two. I'm guessing the lotion fills in the scratches, or is it mildly abrasive enough to buff it to a fine sheen?

And, how does the boiling water thingy work?

Just curious,
    Joey

4. Blue59

Blue59

I have heard car wax as a solution for disk scratches. I tried lotion once and it was visibly greasy, it wasn't successful.
    Somebody asked me for help with reading a data DVD once that was very heavily scratched. I tried wax and toothpaste and neither of those helped, so then I just tried buffing it with steel wool in a "radial" pattern--from center to edge. The whole disk was so buffed you couldn't really see the laser tracks anymore, but the disk was then readable (slowly). Only one ~2-Gb file out of about 450 2-3 Gb files wasn't recoverable.
    ~

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The idea behind the hand lotion is to remove 99.99% of it; it should not be greasy at all, just a bit shinier. The little that remains fills in the grooves and helps transfer light by smoothing out the optical interface surface. Most liquids, including water, should behave similarly but most would be flung off by the centrifugal force.

There are several fix-a-disk kits that offer little more than a half-ounce of Carnuba wax. They will work, as will Turtle Wax, but I have had more success with the lotion method.

And, as for the boiling, I'd guess it makes the polymer layers less opaque or something. Unless you boil it too long and melt the little beggar, there should be no visible difference.

Lots of those Playstation demo disks from magazines refuse to work until they are boiled--don't ask me why. But this often makes for a good last-ditch save on stubborn CD's and DVD's.

Just be sure you try everything else that was suggested first.