close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cleaning brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by catwrench, Feb 25, 2010.

1. catwrench

catwrench

hi i'am new two reloading have been gathering all needed tooling .and waiting for books to come and dillon loader. also read alot on this form which is very very loaded with info.

Question is won a dillon case cleaner on e bay and i can't seem to find any info on in you should remove primers first for cleaning or does that aply to just rifle. i know dillon 550 which is coming pushes primer out and resets new . please help me till my books come wis. jim aka catwrench

2. glocknick

glocknick

i throw my brass in the tumbler with the old primers still on them.

3. Smoker

Smoker

I've done it both ways, just make sure to get the cob and/or walnuts out of them.

4. srd

srd

I tumble with primers in place . Would rather not have to ck every primer pocket for media.

5. Power Pistol Pete

Power Pistol Pete

I usually tumble cases with primer in. From the tumbler they go into an old spaghetti colander (high tech reloading equipment) for a vigorous shake, then into the case feeder. Have fun with your new Dillon! :supergrin:

6. catwrench

catwrench

thanks alot guys i think i will go with primer in less cleaning primer pocket.what sucks is just on line looking for bass but none to be found. and from what i read on brass i shouldn't use my 9mm FC stamp brass to reload? whats your thought's .when new in the box its american eagle 9mm 115 g FMJ with head stamp of 9mm luger F.C. input need help the newbe so he can lean the right way Jim AKA catwrench

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

It's not necessary to deprime before tumbling. If you wanted to do it, there's no harm in it...but it's just extra steps you don't need to take.

8. glocknick

glocknick

i almost exclusively use american eagle brass marked fc 9mm luger and also 10 mm and have had no problems.

9. catwrench

catwrench

thanks going to keep it simple and one less step thanks . jim

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

What did you read...that FC brass is weak and prone to failure? I'd worry about that more in .40 than in 9mm.

Not having brass sucks...it's the most expensive component...and at least for pistol, I think most of us tend to find ways to pick it up for free...like working a GSSF match as an RO and coming home with 2k pieces of mostly once fired brass. I could have come home with probably twice that...but I was starting to feel like a pig.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Are you only needing 9mm brass? I got some .45 and some .40 I can get rid of, but I'll be keeping all my 9mm.

12. dudel

dudel

You can do it either way. I use a universal deprimer and clean with fine media so that the primer pockers get some cleaning. I don't worry about media in the flash hole since I leave the the decapping rod in when I size. Note that this doesn't work if you use large media (such as lizard bedding from Walmart).

13. catwrench

catwrench

thanks but need 9mm. last week at range i see they had some wo i will check this weekend what it is . jim

14. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

They are a little slow but I have bought the 9mm and the 40 S&W brass from these guys.
    https://surplusammo.com/
    They can't count and always got 50+ more.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  15. catwrench

catwrench

thanks i will check them out .Jim

16. dudel

dudel

Large or small Dillon tumbler? The problem I had with the large is that you needed to feed it large amounts of brass to get it to circulate and clean. The small one is great for most pistol shooters. Large works great if you have large amounts of rifle brass.

Add your brass, then add enough media to make the cases circulate around the bowl.

17. catwrench

catwrench

just received one that i won on e bay for 65.00 with media dillon cv-500 works perfect jim

18. kshutt

kshutt

De-priming before tumbling would be a real pain in the tail! I only reload pistol, but I've never thrown 'em in the tumbler without the primers intact, and it's always worked out for me! I don't want to add any steps to the process without an absolute benefit. :israelflag:

19. catwrench

catwrench

thanks one other guy said why add a extra step to the process if you don't need it. so leaving primers in when tumbling cases it is ! jim