close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning and Storing Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Valor1, May 5, 2004.

1. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

Can you guys give me recommendations on cleaning a Glock pistol after firing about 300 rounds, and then storing them for long periods of time. Thanks.

2. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Anytime your going to store any gun for along period of time you should atleast field strip it and clean it if not a detailed strip.

How long are we talking on the storage? If you do not know how to do a detailed strip here are some links:
    FRAME: http://glockmeister.com/trigger.shtml
    SLIDE: http://glockmeister.com/slidedis.shtml
    MAGAZINE: http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml

If were me I would do a detailed stip of the frame and slide making sure to lube the proper points: http://glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

Give the slide a nice light coat of oil before you put it away.

Thats my 10mm worth!;f

Take Care
    "duck"

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Yeah, how long are you talking about storing it? Are you talking about throwing it in the back of the safe, or are you talking about burying it for several years?

4. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

i guess i'm not very specific. i've done a detailed strip on the glock many times. stoarage in this case will be a minimum of 6 months. thanks for the input

5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

On some guns it depends on the climate of were you live amoung other things. For six months I would clean it real good and oil or any other protective seal will work. Do not store in a holster, or wrap it in a rag, or store in a gun rug. It takes a lot to get a Glock to rust, but then anything is possible. If you live in a humid area a suggestion would get an ammo can and place some Silica Gel Crystal paks in with the gun. For longer than that, The best prodect I have found is called RIG. I put that on a Colt Python and 20 years later no rust and that is in Florida. and I live about a half mile from the Gulf of Mexico, humid salt air.

6. GlockST

GlockST

unclebob,
    will you suggest the same thing with other guns? I live in the Philippines and the humidity is worse than Florida (I've been there and loved my vacation with your theme parks and beaches). I might store my gun for a year since I'll be going to another country. Any suggestions from the others are also welcome. thanks

7. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

You did not say for what type of guns. What I would do and have done is remove the grips or stock and strip the gun as far down as you can and do the best cleaning job with a good cleaning product and do the best cleaning job you have ever done. You do not want to leave any leading or carbon that could hind any moisture under it. If you can not take the gun apart spray were you can't with a good spray cleaner follow up with a good metal seal, I have used Outers Metal Seal. once you have all of this done. put on a pair of rubber or cotten gloves and wipe down the outside of the gun again with your gun cleaner. From this point on do not touch the gun with your bare hands. Like I said before I like RIG. You want a product that does not run and will be there a year from now. apply this every were you can. get one of the plastic storage box you can get a Wal-Mart etc. that has a seal in the lid. if it is a long gun PVC pipe with one in glued with a end cap and the other end with a screw in cap. put the gun in the box still broken down and the grips off. put some Silica Gel crystal paks in the box and close the lid. store the box in a place were you will have the least amount of tempture change. and keep your fingers. crossed.

8. GlockST

GlockST

Thanks Unclebob. I'm thinking of storing my STI Edge, Colt Gov't model and Glock 26 for longer periods. More power to you.