close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning and Storing Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KidA, Mar 16, 2004.

1. KidA

KidA

I just bought a G23 for my fist handgun. I bought it used, and it didn't come with the manual, so I have a couple of questions:

1. How soon after firing should I clean the bore? What cleaning should I do daily, weekly, etc?
    2. Would storing it field stripped, or just with the slide taken off be bad for the gun at all?
    3. I'm going to buy a 9mm conversion barrel, is my assumption that I should clean it the exact same way a correct one?

Any other tips you might have for a first-time gun owner would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

First of all, have a couple gin & tonics and relax.;) Just kidding but my point is that Glocks are notorious for performing even when they're dirtier than you'll ever allow it to get. I do clean the bore after every trip to the range. I also oil every few trips but be sure and oil a Glock sparingly. They require less oil than most any other firearm and over oiling them can actually hurt their performance. I wouldn't bother with taking the slide off for storage. Just keep it in a dry place, assembled. I do a full detail strip a couple times a year paying the most attention to the striker channel. I use Gunscrubber spray for this purpose but any fast evaporating, oiless spray will do. i.e. brake cleaner, etc. I recommend checking the following link out for oiling instructions and a plethera of excellent info that pertains to Glocks. http://www.glockfaq.com --JJ

3. KidA

KidA

Thanks a lot for the info and the link. I would love a gin and tonic or two if you got em ;f The only reason I thought to store it field stripped was as an emergency child proofer, if one ever came across it.

4. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Good thinking but I would implore you to consider a safe of some sort if that's an issue for you. Don't mean to tell anybody what to do but they've got some great storage units these days for less than $100 such as GunVault. Many vendors are available but click on THIS link to see what they're about. Again, I'm not meaning to judge here but I thought it might be something you'd be interested in.--JJ

5. KidA

KidA

There is no immediate threat of kids stumbling across the gun, just friends visiting with their kids, and I want all the lines of defense possible. I've looked at that safe, but didn't know it was relatively cheap. Thanks again for the suggestions, they help immensely.