Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy at the range yesterday noted that he was shooting better. Explained that he had cleaned the lower on his Glock 17 since last week’s range trip with CLP. Said he was surprised that black clumps were coming out during the cleaning. Yesterday, he said the trigger was much better than previous range trips.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
You’d be surprised the condition of some peoples guns.

Had a detectives gun that had used MilPro7 to clean their gun. But didn’t clean the stuff out after, just sprayed It in there and let it congeal. I could pull the trigger, rack the slide, and let go of the trigger and Watch the trigger slowly reset because of all the gunk.

·
Registered
626 Posts
A gun that performs better when properly maintained? What a concept. Yeah to piggyback on what indivi said, I've seen a lot of Glocks at GSSF matches that were terribly over lubricated such that you could see the oil spraying from the gun when being fired. There's a reason the armorers at these matches have a goodly supply of dry rags and/or paper towels on their bench.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I once had a K9 officer turn in his issued Mini 14 upon his retirement. I watched from the bunker as he tried to open the breach of the gun while he stood beside his truck. He finally brought it over to me and said "I don't know what's wrong with it, I oil it down every week".
I couldn't get the op rod to come back either, and since it was not an emergency, I did not give it the heel release stroke. I soaked it with brake cleaner a couple times that day and again the next and finally broke the varnish seal. No damage to the rifle itself, I'm just thankful that the officer never had to rely on it in a life-or-death situation.
Oil, more is not always better.!.!.!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Black clumps? What kind of ammo is he using?

He shoots factory brass ammo. Nothing special or out of the ordinary.

I also saw the opposite yesterday. New shooter with a new Shield 9mm. He experienced a jam and couldn’t get the slide to go back into battery or get the mag to drop. His more experienced buddy finally got the jam cleared and asked if he had oiled his new pistol before coming to the range. The new shooter said no and his buddy broke out some Lucas gun oil. He locked the slide back and lightly oiled the slide and barrel from the front and then proceeded to drop a good bit of oil down into the trigger housing or possibly onto the feed ramp or maybe into the barrel???? Not sure about that last part but no more malfunctions happened with the Shield.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Why would you do that?
However, it's good to know any idiot (not referring to you) can buy and never maintain their GLOCK for 15k rounds.
No, not never maintain. After every match I clean the bore and lube the gun. The crud just goes along for the ride.

Glocks can run dirty and oily, or dry and clean, but not dry and dirty.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Can I assume (yes I know what this means) that it was some kind of function test and not how you rountinely keep your handguns? ;)
LOL
No, this is how my competition Glocks look. Which is typically 20,000 rounds a year. My carry Glocks do not look like that but only because they get maybe 200 rounds a year..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts