close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Classification for G17?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FJR, Jan 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. FJR

FJR

Hello, I was interested in shooting some GSSF matches in 2006. I have a Glock 17 that has some frame/slide modifications to it. Can anyone let me know what class this gun would fit into? If not, can anyone provide a referfence where I can obtain this info?

The following modifications have been done to the pistol solely for the purpose of it fitting my shooting grip/style. It is a 3rd Generation Glock 17 with the finger grooves removed from the front strap. The grip then had an abrasive rubberized adhesive and truck bed liner applied to it to help with grip. The stock magazine release was also filed down a little bit. I am left handed and the mag release had to be relieved a slight bit to accomodate my shooting grip. The inside lower section of the trigger guard was relieved and the trigger guard was undercut slightly. Both mods were done to aid in comfort. Finally, the lower rear sections of the slide, underneath the rear slide serrations, was also relieved to fix a problem I was having with slide bite. I was told by a coworker that in IDPA this would classify my gun somewhere along the lines of an Enhanced Service Pistol. Would it be considered something similar in a GSSF match?

It should be noted that all of the original factory parts are still in the pistol and no modification has been made to the internals/trigger mechanism, or anything to make it "gamey". I simply set it up how I felt it should be set up for a defensive handgun, after taking several training classes with it. If this gun is considered custom, which it basically is, will I have to compete against other shooters using compensated "race" guns with dots or optics? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Modifications to the frame and slide generally cause the pistol to be eligible for only Masters/Unlimited Category. It's a close call in your case and you should check with the GSSF Official at your match.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

that sounds like unlimited to me.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

doesn't sound like it'd be legal for anything but unlimited. you can find the rules at www.gssfonline.com

5. FJR

FJR

Oh well........you don't know if you don't ask. Thanks to all for their replies. What type of guns/mods would I be facing if I have to shoot in Masters/Unlimited class?

If the modifications are looked at as being "an advantage" over a box stock gun, then so be it. The only thing they offer are comfort and a non slick surface when manipulating/shooting the gun. If I had a 1.5 lb trigger, or some muzzle brake/counterweight on the gun, I could see me having an advantage. Rules are rules though.

Thanks again.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

7. FJR

FJR

Thanks.

reading......