close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Class III firearms for self defense?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Woodsy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Woodsy

Woodsy

Personally, for most self defense situations i would prefer a good powerful semi automatic, but my question is this:

In terms of the laws affecting using say a sub-machinegun to mow down a burglar in a self defense situation, is it legal?

Lets say the state where the unfortunate situation had taken place was a castle doctrine state.

Are there any legal ramifications to using this type of weapon vs. using say a Glock 19?

Just a made up example of an unfortunate situation where the answer to this question might be desirable:

Youre sitting there admiring your newly purchased, fully loaded Heckler and Koch MP5K-N PDW at your kitchen table one friday night, caressing her fine features, mighty happy with yourself, when all of a sudden two armed thugs crash through your front door and shoot your dog. You spring into action and mow them down full auto style with well aimed short bursts and call the police as soon as youre sure they are dead and gone.

Would you be any more in "trouble" than if say the same situation were to happen but instead your weapon was a well aimed Springfield 1911?

I tried a forum search followed directly afterwards by a google search and found nothing.

I'm just curious. TIA. :patriot:

2. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

i dunno...i'm sure they forwn apon it but not sure if they could really do anything if you were properly permitted to have this type of weapon

3. joker42179

joker42179

ok i am now curious lol

tagged

4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Yes, you'd be in a CRAP load of trouble.

Laws are downright stupid and if you have any contact with the law you are bound to get it in the end. Just owning a full auto puts you in a bad position.

5. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If you leave their faces so they can be identified it would be perfectly legal.:rofl:Great scenario. :supergrin:

7. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

It might cost you more, the weapon is probibally gone for a while if you ever get it back but if that was the gun at hand I would have no problem using it

8. GreyEclipse

Awesome story, thanks for the link.

9. Historian

You guys would have liked Harry.

If crust could have crust...it would have been Harry.

I was in his shop one day and realized 5 feet from me, behind the counter, were three matched serial parkers in 12, 20, and 28.

Just there on the wall...waiting for someone with $50,000 to take them home.

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

in that situation you would be most likely okay, at least in az here,

but i would not go out of my way to use a regulated item for that purpose,

if it did turn out to be a bad shoot, it would be a black spot onto the machine gun community (legal community), and would reflect poorly,

there is a very good history going right now of next to none and possibly no occurrences of class 3 being used in crimes .. its good to keep it that way too

11. Historian

I think that has a lot to do with the quality of person who owns a legal class three and the fact they take ownership seriously.

They are a good representation of gun owners.

12. GreyEclipse

My dream would be to own a gunshop like his and become a class 3 dealer.
    To be able to own class 3 firearms and class 3 accessories.
    But never in my lifetime will that happen. He sounds like a good man.

Not my generation.
    Unfortunately I inherited a little bit of my generations flaws as well, lol.
    But I'm better off than most of my age. At least there's that.

But yeah, it sounds like that was a great guy. He had it made too.
    It would be a blessing to have his experience with firearms.

13. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

I have the same hangup with using one of my suppressed handguns in the night stand, so I can preserve flash/hearing in that situation...I keep telling myself that in "fight or flight" mode my selective hearing will kick in and I wont notice the shots or flash (I use low flash powder high quality JHP anyway) Of course I wont hear the shots but physically my ear drum will still reverb and recieve damage from the high dB's. And my Gun/can will be taken into evidence, etc....I dunno. I also like the idea of blasting the SOB with my 12G rather than a pistol. My state is VERY home owner vs. intruder friendly. Id prob be fine either way.

14. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I have a feeling that things have changed.

IF it is a legal shoot with and NFA item, then it is a legal shoot, but I expect you will be taken into custody, and have to talk with a lawyer.

15. G31

G31 Millennium Member

It's happened twice already, as far as I can find documented, and both got off because it was a clean shoot. I would not want to use a very expensive NFA weapon for that purpose, unless it was somehow necessary. It'll sit on an evidence shelf for a while with no cleaning, etc., and no padded case. Likely, it will be in rougher shape than it was when you turned it over (not terribly, though).

As far as getting the gun back...you will. They have to return it once the investigation and/or court trial is over. If you get a gun stolen and it is used to kill a crowd of innocent people, you will get it back, as long as the serial # is still intact.

16. Woodsy

Woodsy

Thank you all for your responses thus far. :wavey:

And a special thank you for Historian for the best righteous self defense story that i've read to date.

Now,

In some states, yes they have.

But,

Lets now add a new ingredient to the pot, that i previously mentioned in the OP.

The Castle Doctrine.

The lawful citizens of my current state as well as the state of Mr. Harry Beckwith, as well as others, are now protected by this beautiful piece of indoctrination.

Now, considering this relatively new piece of law. What say you now?

In fact, i believe it would have saved Mr. Beckwith the unpleasant visit to Court were it in action back in 1990.

Thoughts, facts, experiences, views and observations? :supergrin:

17. Historian

They have. Harry died about four year ago...and his place was sold to a regionally large dealer...less famous locally but decent people. This gives them two locations.

To give you some kind of idea what kind of people they are...they kept the name Beckwith guns to honor him.

They don' sell the beer...but if you know the right person to ask they will give you one.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

19. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

20. Historian

That is known as an error in the victim selection process!

(Foxworthy on) If your victim turns into the H&K plant...you might want to reconsider! (Foxworthy off)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010