Clash of the Titans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Weiser 878, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Saw it last night with a couple of buddies (FWIW, we're all old enough to well remember the original)

I really liked it.

It changed a LOT from the 1981 version. I really wouldn't even call it a remake...more a different story all together where a lot of the same stuff happens.

Sorry, can't go into more detail now because I'm on my phone waiting at the drive-thru.

Anyone else seen it?
    Anyone want to?

2. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

On my way out the door to see it right now. 3d at the Draughthouse. I hope it's as good as I expect it to be!

3. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I skipped the 3D.

The only movie that it seemed to really WOW me was Avatar, and they just went up on the prices here for a 3D movie.

Regular (w/student discount) $8
    3D (no discount availible) $12.50

4. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

Going to see it with a buddy at 4:50 this afternoon. I loved the original...since I was in the fourth grade and saw it at a double-feature with the cheesy Rankin-Bass Lord of the Rings animated version. Anyway, Clash was awesome and I can't wait to see this one. Not expecting great things...but c'mon.....how bad could it be? It's got Zeus, the Kraken, Medusa, the Stygian Witches, Calibos, and a bunch of giant scorpions! I'm not expecting The Godfather or Citizen Kane...

5. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

Huge mythology fan - going to see the 3d version tmw morning. I hope I am as impressed as I was with Avatar 3d.

Thing about the remakes now a days is the technology is so much more advanced - its hard not to imagine this thing NOT kicking butt.

6. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

How can anyone like this crapfest? There is zero character development, the dialogue is strained and heavy, there huge plot gaps, there are huge inconsistancies in some major plot points, the overall look of the movie was bland and dull, and the 3-D effects where unnecessay and gratuitous. All the 3-D acomplished was to make the movie even more dim and make the effects look like cardboard cutout. This film seemed like it was an attempt by first year film students to create an "art film. " They were so self absorbed that they sucked out everything that was good about the 80's version and replaced it with boring special effects. If it wasn't for that Terminator movie this same actor was in recently I would call this the worst film I have seen in at least a decade.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Because they release the Kraken...

8. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

The 3D didn't really add anything to the movie. The actions scenes were often so fast that the 3d effect didn't really register or there would be sand other trash floating around that obscured the 3D.

3D aside, I really enjoyed the movie. But how could you not? The plot has obviously stood the test of time and CGI finally brings the mythological beasts up to par. Not as much plot development as the original, but still a good way to waste 2 hrs.

9. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

So...what are you saying?

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

It no be very gud. :)

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sounds like a good movie, I liked the original.

12. targus

targus

And, that's the kicker right there. It's even more of a let down if the movie totally blows. Technology can't carry everything and they're just running on this "neato 3D stuff" right now. It will get as passe as everything else...soon enough... Then we'll be stuck with $15-20 crappy 3D movies since, like gas prices, they know what the "market" will bear. :upeyes:

13. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

Wow...hopes and dreams shattered.

This celluloid turd made Ishtar look like Lawrence of freakin' Arabia!

Everything was better when I was a kid.

14. mixflip

mixflip

I am a sucker for good SPX. It doesnt have to be an oscar winner. I just watched the old movie and stop motion really hurts to watch nowadays. I am looking forward to seeing a new telling of this story. SPX movies aren't supposed to challenge your mind and make you ponder your existence. Its a 2 hour escape into a fantasy world. Its not even supposed to be a Greek mythology documentary...its just a fun Hollywood escape.

Some people really need to lighten up. If you dont like SPX Hollywood blockbuster movies, and you went and bought tickets to see this movie thinking it was anything other than a SPX eye candy movie (not much plot other than he needs to kill the Krakken) then you are an idiot and I am glad you wasted your money. The note book 2 will becoming out soon just for you.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  15. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

I saw it in 3D Friday night and liked it a lot. But, I don't take movies too seriously and can enjoy a "popcorn" flick for what it really is.

The story is Greek mythology, mostly turned on its ear. It (along with the original from the 80s) takes names of Greek characters and the myths they're a part of, and stretches what the Greeks had in mind.

The Titans weren't defeated by the Kraken. Zeus did that with the help of the cyclops and his new-found control of lightning. In defeating his father (the head of the Titans), he freed his brothers and sisters, who had been eaten by their own father. They were trapped in his gut for eternity.

Perseus did not go seeking Medusa's head to kill the Kraken, he went looking for it to kill a king that he felt unworthy to marry his mother.

Perseus did not fly on a Pegasus. He was granted a gift of Hermes' shoes, which he used to fly to the island Medusa was on.

Medusa wasn't on an island off the river Styx (ie, the Underworld). She took refuge on a deserted island because of her horrible transformation.

The bit about Medusa's transformation (ie, raped by Poseidon in the Parthenon) ... right on the money.

The blind witches with the single eye: also right on the money. Part of the original Perseus story.

I'm sure there were other bits that were stretched a bit from what the Greeks had in mind. But, overall, it was a very fun movie.

jas

16. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I was disappointed but entertained with the "remake", I loved the original, until I rented it last night following the remake, talk about cheesy. Well it was 1981

17. arclight610

arclight610

Was is just me, or is that blue-eyed desert man-creature creepy looking. Sort of looks like a organic Optimus Prime.

18. Woodsy

Woodsy

TOE-GETHAR! My fave character in the movie, (Spoiler?) i loved how he LAUGHED at medusa.

Anyways, i think alot of people really expect too much when they go to see movies nowadays, youre not being paid to slam everything that comes out nowadays cause most of the movie is CGI, people should just try to relax and have fun like, you know...what going out to the movies is for? :dunno:

:supergrin:

19. Trigun

Trigun

And that is it in a nut shell. As a kid, the original was deep and thought provoking. The ideas were new and cool. Seeing the new version now doesn't have the same effect. But then go back and watch the original again. Once past the nostalgia, it's cheesy as hell. The test would be to go back in time and show your young self the new movie. I thought the mechanical owl was the coolest. I even liked how it didn't seem to really fit with the time. When the new movie came out, that's the first thing I thought of. Then I watched old clips of that Owl and thought "argh this was the predecessor to JarJar Binks". So I'm glad they didn't bring that back. Leave it as a past memory when it was cool.

20. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

The owl did have a cameo... "Leave it!... " lol

I liked the movie. Both the old and the new. I skipped the 3D because I didn't feel it would add to this one. Sounds ike I was right.

Now when are we gonna remake Jason and the Argonauts??? :)