close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Civilians- Ever use your weapon? Save your life?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GlockoPopPopPop, Mar 19, 2010.

1. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Just curiouse if any civilians on the forum have ever used their weapon, or pulled it, and it saved them, got them out of a bad sitaution?

If its painful or personal I understand, but to anyone who wants to give a good story, i'd apreciate it.

2. dosei

dosei

Do a little searching around here on GT...several threads on this. Several people have, and have posted. Most of those that have done it will not post, because posting details about it on the internet is generally not recommended for many reasons.

3. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

yeah thats what i was thinking.

I wasnt really looking for someone who shot and killed someone, more just maybe a sticky sitatuion they were happy they were armed or something like that.... id imagine sometimes pulling a gun can get the job done

I will do some more searching.. thanks

4. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I have never fired my handgun in self-defense as a civilian, but I have pulled it 3 times.

Once was an attempted mugging, the guy ran away. Once was in defense of a young lady who was being attacked by a couple of guys, same result.

The last time was really odd, like a scene from a bad movie. I was at a stop sign, guy ahead of me was just sitting there, rummaging around under his seat, in the back seat, glovebox etc. After several minutes, with no safe way to go around him and traffic behind me leaning on the horns. I hit my horn. Just a tap, to get the guys attention and waved him on.

The guy flipped out. You could see him waving his arms, flipping me off, shaking his fist etc. He threw the car in gear, peeled out on to the main road and lost control, fishtailed across 2 lanes of traffic. He eventually bounced over a curb and into a small sapling. I drove off, shaking my head.

In my rear view, the guy backed on to the street again, and accelerated quickly, coming up beside me. He was screaming and yelling, weaving his car at mine like he was going to hit me. I told my wife to dial 911 and tried to ignore him. This made him more angry and he tried to actually ram me. Luckily the turn lane was empty and I was able to avoid him. I accelerated to get him going faster in the outside lane, then laid on the brakes, flipped an illegal u-turn and took off the other way.

As soon as I couldn't see him in the rear-view, I ducked into a development and parked behind some tall bushes. I was hidden from the main road but could see the entrance to the development. This whole time my wife is still on the phone with the local LEOs.

I see the car inch past the development; stop and reverse, then enter. He saw my car and pulled so his car was pointing directly at mine, incidentally blocking both lanes of traffic.

Hoping to distract him and protect my wife, I got out of the car and walked to the other side of the road so his attention was on me. It worked and he pointed the nose of his car at me... then started revving his engine. The whole time he is screaming incoherently and starts to lurch the car forward.. threatening to run me down.

I drew the 1911 I had on my hip and yelled that I would shoot him if he didn't leave.

He stopped revving his engine, called me a few choice names and said he was calling the cops.... but he did leave.

When the Police finally got there 10 minutes later (we were within 5 miles of the station) I described what happened, told them that my wife had been on the phone with 911 the whole time describing to THEM the situation. The officer agreed that I had done the right thing, took a report and left. Never dear hear back from them so I assume he was never caught.

The whole incident left me shaking my head.... scenes from that movie "Duel" in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. roar

roar .38 Special

Crazy story!!!

6. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Wow, what a story... and I can think of a few times in that movie where the character could have really used a gun!

7. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Yes, I have.

8. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

If a "weapon" can be a Buck 110 folding hunter, then yes. Firearm? No. My Buck once dissuaded a jealous ex-boyfriend of my girlfriend of the time, and his buddy, from the notion that trying to give me a "beat down" was going to do anything but send them to the hospital. Only had to brandish it.

9. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Good story, thanks for taking the time to type that out. Thats exactly what i was looking for! And that sitaution was defused quickly, without your weapon who knows what would have went down....

Thanks Again

10. txpitdog

txpitdog

Pulled mine twice but never pointed it anyone. Drew but kept it concealed in case the situation went from bad to worse.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

12. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Not just sometimes, most of the time. Most defensive uses of a gun do not involve firing it.

13. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Drew it twice and pointed it twice. Didn't have to pull the trigger, the message was made very clear.

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Have drawn mine a couple times against two legged critters and several more times against four legged critters. I have only pulled the trigger on four legged critters. Have been in at least one situation where OC'ing actively deterred a crime and a second situation where OC'ing was very likely a deterrence as well. I listed them in a thread around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: At age 19 an acquaintance came to my door with a gun and swore he was going to kill me and everyone else in the house. Won't go into details, but I'm still here, and having a gun would have made handling that situation a lot easier. I undoubtedly saved my life that day. The rest of the times I've actually had a gun and drawn it, and I couldn't say whether it saved my life or not. It's entirely possible that my wife and I could have given him our money and that would have been the end of it. It's also entirely possible he'd have killed me, raped my wife at his leisure, taken her home to share with his buddies, then killed her. I don't know how that would have gone. Neither of the perps wanted anything to do with my .45 or my wife's 9mm.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

Never presented it visually to another human being, but very glad I had it on more than one occasion. Scariest time was probably back in the 60's. The Interstate highway network system was still under construction, especially out west. I was trying make a 900 mile haul in one leg. Young and broke. Barely had gas money to make it to a relatives home where I was going to visit for a few days.

About 1:30 at night I found myself nodding at the wheel a few times and decided I'd better get some sleep, before I woke up in a twisted pile of scrap metal. Saw an area where some construction equipment was parked. A couple of other people were already parked there. I pulled in and parked a reasonable distance from the other vehicles. Got in the back in a cheap sleeping bag. I put a condition two, full size 1911, in an old style GI holster in the bag with me and went to sleep with the windows down a few inches. It was warm out.

Woke up about 4:00 AM with someone shinning a flashlight in my face and hollering 'Hey wake up in there.' My first thought was that it was an LEO checking me out. But the guy was slurring his works and not professional at all. In an instant the 45 was in my hand, but still inside the sleeping bag. At that moment it was very comforting to me.

I asked the guy what he wanted. He replied he needed help getting his car started. I lied and told him I didn't know anything about cars. He said he just needed a jump or a push. I said I wasn't going to do that. Meanwhile the flashlight was still shinning full in my face. I of course, didn't know if there were more people with him, if he was armed or not, or just what the heck was going on. I decided if he tried to open my door I was going to take defensive action.

Finally he took the flashlight beam out of my face and again asked for help. I told him that if he was still there at daylight, I'd give him a ride to the next town. With that he left. I of course, watched him and he went to another car and tried the same thing. He didn't have any luck there either. Then he went up beside the highway and started trying to thumb a ride. Shortly afterward a semi stopped and picked him up. I never saw him again.

I then went back to sleep. The next morning there were no unoccupied cars there. I drove on to my relatives house with no more trouble. But while the event was happening I wouldn't have traded that 1911 for it's weight in pure gold, even if I could have sold the gold at todays prices.

16. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

I've had three attempted robberies, the first I only had to grab the grip of my holstered gun, they left. The second, I just turned around so the gun grip could be seen, dude left. On the third, well, he ran up on me gun drawn and he lived.

17. python357

python357 Old Fart in training

18. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Closest I came was about 2 years ago on the road. This jerkoff pulled out of a side street without looking and I nearly hit him. He thought it was funny I guess and flipped me off and kept slamming on his brakes and such. At the end of the street we both got on a highway onramp where he slammed on his brakes again and hopped out (figuring he was an *******, I was already staying well back and I stopped like 6 carlengths behind him and I couldnt go around or anything) He started walking back towards me while kind of conspicuously keeping his right hand in his jacket pocket. I drew my g36 and had it aimed at him but below the doorline where he couldnt see it. We exchanged some words.... :whistling: and I guess he could see I wasn't going to take the bait. He got back in his truck and took off.

19. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

This site is currently unavailable

If you are the account holder, please contact customer service. Our customer service center is available 24x7 via phone, chat, or email:

Email: support@inmotionhosting.com
    Phone: 888-321-4678 (213-258-4422 Int'l)

20. hamburger

hamburger

Yes. A knife.