Civilian "Operators".

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I'm sorry, but I can't take those civilian "operators" seriously on shows like Doomsday Preppers.

Yes, they have tacticool ARs, but most of them are obese. It makes no sense to be a prepper with "OPSEC" in mind if you're in terrible physical shape. I laugh out loud when I see those guys and gals go all tactical in simulated firefights.

A trained military or special law enforcement unit would wipe the floor with these folks, and if SHTF really happens, looters with bolt action guns and scopes will win every single time, no matter what gizmo they have strapped to their ARs or chest rigs.

That being said, I enjoy the show, I just find it laughable at times.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

In before the "Afghan farmers are kicking the U.S. Military's ass" people.

:faint:

ETA: Being an "Operator" isn't about your hardware; its about having the physical and mental strength to operate in austere conditions.

It's about being tactically and technically proficient in the basics, and mastering them. Why is Ranger Battalion so damn good? Because they've mastered the basics to a tee.

3. Restless28

Restless28

Yep. I'm no Operator, nor will I ever be one. I imagine it takes a tremendous amount of dedication and training such as the military does, to even be minimally proficient.

It makes for good TV, Internet banter, and firearms and accessories sales. :rofl:

4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

the only civilian operators I ever knew of always, and I mean always answered the call. "Operator, how may I be of service?" or "Operator, please deposit $.25 if you would like to place the call."

5. JBnTX

JBnTX

The entire "SHTF survival" concept is laughable.

There's too much "if" and "when" in those people's minds. If they think they can survive on their own, then do it now.

Put your plans into effect right now and see how long you can last without outside help.

6. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

What did American Patriots (aka civilian operators) do to the British army???

7. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

People laugh at them and they laugh all the way to the bank.

8. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Not all military 'operators' look like Arnold or Jesse in their primes, either. I was stationed at a base on my last tour that had 2 ODA units on it. 1 group had a Captain that was fairly fat by military standards, not even SF standards, but they said he was the best weapons expert/marksmen they had. A number of other guys were really skinny, built like runners. There were, however a few of their guys that were built like brick ****-houses!! I remember one guy, Kevin, laid down on a bench and started doing chest flys with 85 lb dumbbells like they were 5 pounders. He said he hadn't been to the gym in nearly a month due to mission load...

9. Airborne Infantryman

Not to be an ass, but have you seen your average "man" these days? There is a HUGE difference between our founding fathers, and their willingness to get **** done, and the average joe.

I'll wager my next paycheck that 8/10 men these days couldn't perform the average actions a soldier does, without running out of breath.

The first step in being a soldier, is having the discipline to take care of your body and mind.

If someone gets winded jogging a few blocks, they're nowhere near being ready for combat. Just my .02 cents.

10. Restless28

Restless28

Comparing the Revolutionary Patriots to today's American is laughable. As as country, we are generally fat, lazy and lack the discipline and courage that our forefathers did.

How many of the average Americans of today could survive Valley Forge? How many would have the courage of both sides at Gettysburg?

Paintball is pretty fun, though.

11. droidfire

droidfire

Who needs to walk the walk (waddle maybe instead?) when you can talk the talk?

12. Airborne Infantryman

We have standards for a reason. If you cannot meet them, you need to be chaptered out of the Military for failure to maintain height/weight standards. SF or not.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Are you from a city in Texas, by any chance? Here in KY, I have known people who have lived since before I was born in hand-built shacks without water or electricity. Another guy, where I used to work as a police officer, has lived in a non-running car without tires for many years. Living with all the luxuries these survival preppers have would be a major step up for many people.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Anybody know what would be the best EMP proof four wheeler?

15. cesaros

cesaros

US Policy is kicking the US Military's ass :whistling:

Prepping is more of a hobby to most of these people...I agree, they would be toast if anything were to actually happen.

16. cesaros

cesaros

SF is a different military...whether the rest of us like it or not.

They get the job done, so I wont complain if an expert in their field is overweight.

17. The Fed

The Fed

Perhaps if it uses a simple magneto... Do they even exist anymore? Even many or most single cylinder engines have solid state ignitions now.

I'm not sure if anything which uses a condenser or a capacitor is safe. If so, then magnetos are safe. I don't think any 4-wheeler uses or used an old-fashioned distributor.

18. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I hope you don't honestly believe that it is going to be the case...Guy was a Captain, which means the DoD already paid for his college (likely), plus he'd probably been to: ranger school, AA, Airborne, Captain's CC, obv been though SFAS plus the 2 add'l years before you get picked up for a team. Possibly been to: Halo, scuba, sniper, counter-sniper, SERE, Pathfinder....they could easily be into the guy for $1M plus, not including any extremely large bonuses he's been paid (if any).

SF doesn't generally cut their hair/shave, wear a 'standard-issue' uniform, weapons, gear etc. I'm sure you know all of this.

As an aside, I noticed you've got TDC as your location. Does that mean you're on the backside of Casey??

19. Airborne Infantryman

I was speaking in general, not at the specific situation.

Camp Hovey? Oh God no. I'm on Casey with 1-72 AR. Half 11Bs, half 19Ks. Wanna talk about the twilight zone. :faint:

20. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

So, I guess comparing a bunch of people who wear rags on their heads vs the Russians would be laughable too, right? :upeyes:

Or people wearing black pajamas in SE Asia??