City slicker needs advice about deer feed.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by davethehiker, Apr 3, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I put out a salt lick several years ago, but then I noticed the deer preferred the ash from old wood fires that I had in my yard.

2. davethehiker

davethehiker

I value everyone's opinion here on Glock talk. However I value the wisdom imparted my friend the old farmer across the valley even more. I just called him and told about the deer feeder that I just bought. I told him how I was worried about CWD and how I was told that the deer would not bother with eating corn during Spring when there is more natural food growing. He said "Naaaa. They have the CWD far to the North of us and to the East but we don't have any of around here." He also told me that once the deer discover I have corn in the feeder that they will come every day. He also told me that he just had eight now calves born and I'm welcome to come over with my camera gear and photograph them nursing and such. That man loves his cows!

3. Scamp57

Scamp57

Farmer is right use corn, once they find it they will come everyday. Corn is available at any feed store, around here Walmart sells corn because it is legal to feed deer here and it is also legal to hunt them over bait. CDY_0028.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    davethehiker likes this.
  4. davethehiker

davethehiker

Nice photo of deer eating. I do not know what the law is here in PA about shooting deer at a feeding station? I did it for photography purposes. I have a 600mm f/4 lens that lets me photograph them while in my pajama from inside my house. (How that deer got into my pajamas, I'll never know?!)

5. Scamp57

Scamp57

In Maryland you can bait deer on private land only, not State owned property. Be warned that once you start baiting/feeding deer into the area they will eat mostly any flowers, shrubs, bushes, or whatever landscaping plants around your house and yard.