City slicker needs advice about deer feed.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by davethehiker, Apr 3, 2020.

1. peng

peng

We feed 'em corn, carrots and sugar beets in MI.
    Our gas stations usually carry big bags of it in the fall, not sure about now.

FullClip likes this.
  2. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Depending on the state that feeder is likely illegal even for non hunting purposes.

My state:
    No person may place any bait or feed material for deer that:
    • contains any animal part or animal by-product.
    • is contained in or deposited by a feeder that is designed to deposit or replenish feed automatically, mechanically, or by gravity.

treg, 835mag and Caver 60 like this.

3. Caver 60

Caver 60

Just like carrying a gun, be durn sure to check the local laws. CWD areas may totally prohibit them. Other states require them to be removed XX days before deer season, especially if you or anyone you let hunt on your property, plan on hunting the deer.

4. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

We also have a two gallon limit. Even for non hunting purposes.

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

Alot of times Bigger mature bucks are smart and skiddish and will only come into a feeder at night, or when does are around and in heat. The lust for some doe nookie usually gets em killed

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think it's legal to feed them here in PA. If not, let me know. I have a neighbor with a lot of property who puts up a feeder and plants gardens with things that deer like to eat. He also has blinds where he harvests them.

7. glock collector

glock collector

Feed em if ya want, never gonna get caught....I have an old cat lady by me feeding, dnr says no due to cwd, but it keeps her happy.

8. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Quoted Hartford for emphasis and agreement! Even if feeding is legal, not a good idea to get the deer to concentrate in a very limited area in areas that have or might have CWD.

Dave, there definitely is CWD in PA but not sure if in your western PA area. You should be able to check on a CWD map and also the regulations on feeding deer at this site:
    https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

I am sure that even if feeding/salt blocking is legal in your part of PA that you can not do it within a time period before hunting season.

If you can promote growth, plants, fruits, crops that they like to eat naturally over a dispersed area, that would be a better way to go.

treg, BlueKat and Caver 60 like this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It varies wildly. Some areas they encourage feeding, others it’s against the law, I have some by the house every evening. They are getting used to my smelly shirts. (After wearing them hang them on line, before washing). Protein later.

10. racerford

racerford

I didn’t read the thread. But my advise is not to eat deer feed corn.

I know people that feed to deer and it does not end well for the deer that eat it. You have been warned.

11. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

People used to feed deer around here. Then, as the people got older and died or went south for the winter, the feeding stopped. We were dragging starved deer off of the road. The deer are too stupid to travel a half mile, across the river, to where there was plenty of browse. Feeding just artificially inflated the herd - there wasn't enough natural food to support it.

I used to feed the birds around here. It gets pretty severe in the winter and I like to watch the birds at the feeder. The damned deer would stand around the feeder like pigs waiting to be fed. Then they'd start eating my shrubs and smaller trees. So I stopped feeding the birds altogether. Nature will take care of the birds and it will limit the deer herd to what it provides for them.

Also, there's less chance of CWD if you don't feed the deer.

The big question - why did you shoot Bambi in the A$$?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    treg and Caver 60 like this.
  12. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

yea I was listening to a podcast about that, def scary stuff and hope it doesn’t happen.

it’s spring, everything is green and growing, they’d rather eat all of that instead of corn

Flying-Dutchman and davethehiker like this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

Thanks for he warning. I did not know.

14. Ftttu

Ftttu

I purchased two bags of apple flavored deer corn today. I feed deer every day, and they LOVE this stuff! I get mine from a place called Strutty's.

15. collim1

collim1

Save yourself the money next time and just go buy a $4 section of 10” corrugated pipe. About 6’ high. Bungee cord it to a tree so the opening is a about an inch above the ground. Fill it with corn and it will dispense as they eat it.

I have a dozen gravity feeders I have built just like this. I don’t feed the deer On my property often. Just when I want to get them on camera. Even when there is not corn in them they still check them.

davethehiker likes this.
  16. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Ahh yes. It makes her happy so feel free to spread disease. I've personally seen what deer feeding and baiting will do to a population. I really wish people would pull their heads out of their butts and stop feeding.

Joebiker, glock collector and treg like this.
  17. BlueKat

BlueKat

Please consult your local Wildlife Agency website. Read the regs & local ordinances regarding wildlife. There’s very important information relation to wildlife management & disease control. Best of luck.

18. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Put a saltlick under it the deer can smell it

19. Sfaql

Sfaql

835mag’s pic ? I’d wager a “ hard “ rear quartering shot , and from the blood out the nose he got one if not both lungs .

20. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

.450 Bushmaster is excellent deer feed.

Hauptmann6 likes this.