City just took our scheduled OT

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by 1985 4Runner, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

The mayor has decided to take our scheduled OT of 12 hours per month in order to save the city some money. He also shut down one station completely. He also shut down an additional engine & a rescue unit.

While other city services have been cut, the FD took the brunt of the cuts. We were already running two man engine companies due to a hiring freeze & manpower shortage.

This equates to $300 a month for me. Another way to look at it is an 8.5 % pay cut effective immediately.

I'm beyond pissed off right now.

2. trifecta

trifecta

Holy crap! Sorry to hear all of that. 2 man engines? I don't know how they think that will work. Guess it will be fine until you burn something big to the ground because you didn't have the manpower to stop it. Hope you have some mutual aid close by.

Why did FD take the big hit? We are looking at local cuts as well but not quite that bad.

Be safe my friend. That is a tough way to operate.

Is Washington looking better all the time?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

3. Brucev

Brucev

Sorry to hear about that. I don't know beans about FD work, but my wife has been furloughed 1 day each month. Late last year my brother was cut $85/wk. I don't know that he will ever get that money back. There's no telling how long the furlough policy will apply to my wife. It looks like if you work for the state or city or a private company, you get hammered when the economy goes down. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

4. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

We had two civilian fatalities in a structure fire last week. First in engine was two man & could not make entry until second in truck arrived.

This was before the Mayor took our OT & left us shorter today than we were then.

Incredible.

5. trifecta

trifecta

Just wow. Normally,after a bad event they pull their heads out and fix the problem.

If you are interested in Texas, I will forward test dates as they become available. As I recall you are NREMT? Is MS an IFSAC state? If you are IFSAC I,II you could wouldn't have to do an academy. Some places do require some college hrs.

6. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

It does suck. Everyone is going through tough times. In Virginia, we are getting three days off per year with no pay. Plus they are stopping the O/T as well. It will proabably get worse before getting better.

7. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I'm NREMT-B certified, NFPA 1001, 1002. MS Fire Academy is IFSAC Accredited. I do have College hours as well.

Problem is at 39, my options are limited. I'm going to end up working until I'm 57 currently to be eligible for State retirement, (I get 4 years credit for my Military Service). Starting over in any State other than MS, puts me back a square one.

I may be forced to ride this one out.

I fully expect a pay cut for our Department as well in the not too distant future.

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Everybody is taking it in the neck, but if essential services are being unfairly cut, take it public.

Talk to newspapers and television stations, that is, someone who isn't risking their job.

Political backlash is the only weapon that works against politicians I know of, and it doesn't work all that well. Don't dawdle.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  9. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Hard times everyplace these days. I'm in the early stages of contract negotiations. The District will not guarantee minimum staffing of two, raises, and considering caps on health insurance or a 80/20 pay.

10. M249SAW

M249SAW Rescue Jockey

Our county was talking 2 man engines last shift but fortunately our union came up with other options. The amount of overtime we are hiring is ridiculous because we are 42 people understaffed to meet MINIMUM staffing. We hired overtime for 21 positions the other day.

11. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

We are doing Kelly days (12hrs) now & get this, the City is advertising for PT FF's to cover the manpower shortage. :steamed::steamed::steamed:

So the City can't pay me OT for 12 hours, but they can pay a part timer straight time for a 24 hour shift, plus Workman's Comp & uniforms.

effing BS.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  12. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

It's happening in all departments. Never count on OT as part of your income.

13. M249SAW

M249SAW Rescue Jockey

That is becoming very true. Urgent care clinic, here I come.

14. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Exactly.

I'll add, "scheduled overtime" by municipal corporation is absolutely beyond stupid. Our sheriff's office used to run $8 million per year in over time. Now I think they were down to $4 million last year. I've never understood why you'd burn out your workforce when you could have more bodies at a lesser cost.

15. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

The largest fully paid City Fire Department here in Southern Illinois used to have 24 men per shift. Now they have twelve.

16. Bamamedic

Bamamedic

Yea, here at my ambulance service they are cuting us back to 48 hrs. a week. unheard of in EMS.

17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Cuts look good until the big screw up happens then they start looking for someone to blame it on.