City councilor mulls idea to disarm police

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SKSman57, Aug 17, 2019.

1. fla2760

fla2760

Stand by for the road trip, when home invaders, and other armed miscreants drive in for the easy pickings.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Why can't these wads go off and create their own little utopia and report back to us how it worked out. I suggest south side of Chicago.

pgg00 and Arklay Ishimura like this.

3. Navy1964

Navy1964

Alternate headline:
    “City Council recommends that citizens protect themselves, their families, and their property. Police department is hereby dismissed.”

4. Pistol Pap

Pistol Pap

That’s easy fix . All police officers should quit and find jobs in neighboring towns. No reason they should not be able to protect themselves

SevenSixtyTwo and Navy1964 like this.
  5. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

Late last year, I retired as the patrol ops captain after 25 yrs in a busy southern NJ suburban town to take a job at a very large, prestigious urban campus PD. Our (the college) PD not only issues Glock 17's, they allow any service-sized personally-owned Glock. We have a tac team, and some supervisors, who are issued M4's.

Our mission generally doesn't require us to deal with incidents on campus (an ambiguous term for me, at my job), but rather to protect the college's assets (including the affiliated folks, students, etc) from being preyed upon by the surrounding urban criminals.

I was very active when I was a cop/sgt, and recognized my job later on was to facilitate and support the cops as upper mgmt. I fully backed my guys our doing God's work pulling guns and drugs.

This place? That's not my mission. Guns and drugs are passing through, and all I'm doing is f-ing up the Clery Report. So I go out every night (I work steady midnights) and hunt the creeps prowling.

lol go Wildcats!

6. k9patrol

k9patrol Arma dei Carabinieri and Stallions

Time for the police union to grow a pair and let the city understand that no police officer will work for the city without carrying a firearm to protect themselves and others.

Next the city will expect officers to carry nothing but 3 colored CARDS. They are to hold up a Yellow Card if a person is attempting to break the law, and hold up a Red card if they have broken the law. At which time the lawbreaker is to turn themselves in.
    A Green Card would be held up if when a person has done the right thing. It says, "At-A-Boy, or At-A-Girl, or At-A-Confused or Deviate.

No way in the "dynamic equivalence of hades", would I even consider working for those
    BUFFOONS.

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Look, an idiot, and not a useful one.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I think rather than taking guns away from cops on duty you need to take votes away from council people there.

And make every restaurant a Taco Bell.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Church Key likes this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Does the retirement system for the PD really cap at only 75%? It doesn't increase with further service years? Is there at least an annual COLA increase for retired members?
    http://www.bpdcareers.com/bvt-salary-benefits/

Well, with an authorized strength of full-time 105 officers, any serious talk of making dramatic changes like turning them into unarmed English Bobbies would probably make the younger officers start looking elsewhere, and the ones near retirement age look to retire.

Do they have different safety retirement systems in VT, so a cop in one system could take an early retirement from one agency and lateral to another agency, with a different retirement system, to work another 5-10 years and earn another partial retirement?

Whatever the case, if a new wave of Progressive city politicians really tries to disarm their police, they might actually achieve their goal of not having armed officers when they start to see an exodus of existing officers, and nobody want's to apply to replace them. Mission accomplished.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

As foolish and ill advised as the idea is I think we should remember that one council member may no get support from the others.

And I am going to go way out on a limb here and take a wild guess that the city council members in Burlington do not have a police detail.

11. Ftttu

Ftttu

I know this will NEVER happen, but I'd like to see states make it law that anyone who is employed as a peace officer is equipped with firearms full time. I don't care if they want to employ some other type of security force for their utopian paradise, but don't call them police, sheriff, marshal, trooper, etc if they are disarmed.

12. Justin121784

Justin121784

The 2nd amendment is under full fledged attack. Nobody seems to care

13. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Hmmm. Coincidently, the guy I spoke to retired as a Captain from a Southern NJ Department, too. Though his campus is not surrounded by an urban area.