Citizens Police Acadamies - do you?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by WarCry, Jan 5, 2010.

1. WarCry

WarCry

I did this locally a while back now, and I thought it was fantastic. Opened my eyes to more of the "behind-the-scenes" stuff that police do, more than just the black-and-whites on the streets.

My class was a mixed bag. I think I was the youngest one there (at 33). There was 1 member of the 'clergy' (radio news media), the city engineer, and a department of correction parole officer (who, as far as I know, was carrying every week). There was also an extreme liberal nutjob of a university professor (and coming from a guy who's political leanings skew to the left, that says a lot) who was, frankly, the bane of nearly everyone's existence (students and police/instructors: She asked the narcotics officer his views on legalizing marijuana, and told - TOLD, not asked - a patrol officer that he was more likely to shoot a black suspect than a white one, because 'studies' said so. She was white, and I think he was ready to prove her wrong).

Anyway, I guess my questions are 1) do any of you participate as instructors for any of these classes? And 2) if you do, do you find them fulfilling to the effect that the students are actually LEARNING from you and not just listening to you?

Personally, I've tried to convince everyone I know to go.

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

We didn't have citizen police academies in my day. We did give select citizens a "screen test" on occasion.

:supergrin:

3. blueiron

blueiron

No.

The people they "select" for that duty are chosen for their political correctness and their acquiesence to the chief.

I tell it like it is and never apologized for doing so.

4. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

I went through one with the University P.D. when I was in college. It was interesting and I thought it was a good recruiting tool for overall LE. Also, it helped some of the extra-lib kids have a more reasonable understanding of what police do.

My group was about 60% student and 40% faculty and staff.

I thought it was a good program.

5. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

My old OD did them. There were a couple of guys that ran the program each week. However, when it came time for specific topics, they outsourced it to various instructors in the department (FIs handled firearms and range day, etc.).

Along with another guy, I did traffic stop classes. Pretty much what you should, and shouldn't, do during a traffic stop. Gave some insight on why LEOs do what they do during a stop. Opened some eyes.

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We can't even afford to fill half of our vacant positions, and our in-service training was cut by 50%. No way are we putting on a class that's just a couple steps above watching Cops.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Our last chief liked the idea and run a bunch of them. Our current chief killed of the citizen's academy.

It was okay. It was nice that some of our city counsel members got some training above and beyone what they "read in a book one time."

I did some training for them once. It was okay, it could have been better.

8. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

We do them. I take part in a Tactical Assault dog and pony show, then the citizens get to shoot some of our MP5's and Suppressed M16s full auto. Even the biggest Left Wingers have a S### eating grin after that portion of the day. Its definately a useful process as far as an oppertunity to influence Political decision makers/budget controllers in your local government.

9. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Not many chances to shoot full auto in our lovely state. Where do I sign up? :supergrin:

10. VA27

VA27

I've helped instruct the firearms block when a local PD was having CPAs. It was a good time and lots of the 'students' had their eyes opened to just how hard the job really is. There were lots of good questions and folks were very attentive. It was a very positive experience for all concerned.

11. WarCry

WarCry

Damn, I didn't get to do any full-auto! The did toss a flashbang outside the window of the room we were sitting in and, yes, distracted us enough while the ERT came in the OTHER way. Nothing scarier than have half-a-dozen guys in ACU, full vests and helmets with customized ARs screaming 'POLICE, GET ON THE FLOOR!!!'

Well, I suppose it COULD be scarier if I was really a bad guy, but for those first few seconds, my OODA went for a loop (and yes, that was they class they taught about OODA).

We did get to shoot the stock AR (with adjustable stock...that was new for me) and the G22. For my first time shooting in over a decade, I didn't do too bad: 10 in the belly, 10 in the head with the AR, and 13 out of 14 in the 'A' box on the brown silhouette targets. (the 10 in the belly is because the range was too close for the AR, about 10, 15 feet, so the sights weren't zeroed right).

I could be wrong, but I got the impression the officers doing the instructing were in on their time. I mean, I didn't ASK, that's just the impression I got. I didn't really get the vibe that any of them didn't want to be there. Also, doing a ride-along as a participant was truly eye-opening (and no, I went alone, it wasn't a class field-trip with 10 people jammed in a cruiser).

If I was younger and, ya know, less round, the class had me quite inspired to sign up and give it a shot, but I guess I'll have to just make sure I say "thank you" whenever I see 'em.

12. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

Here's how they're done around here. I signed up a couple years back, they didn't have them for a while, and then I moved across the river before the next one. Not sure if I'm still eligible, working and paying taxes in Louisville but technically living in Indiana (a stone's throw from the river and thus Kentucky). I might call them again and ask :)

Hey, I wonder if I can get a tour of wprebeck's workplace without having to throw a brick thru someone's window and seeing the pretty cells from the wrong side of the bars? :)

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroPolice/Community+Relations+Programs/The+Citizens+Police+Academy.htm

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The local PD where I live has a citizen's academy where you sit in the class for a few horus a week for like 8 or 10 weeks and they cover different topics like the law, criminal procedure, police tactics, community relations, etc.

Not sure what they were telling the students, but I have pulled over people who waved that citizen academy graduation certificate like it was a get out of jail card. I have gotten badged a few times when I stop cops, but only been "certificated" once by a civilian.

Then there was this one guy who put down "Citizen's Police Academy" on his job application under LE Experience....

14. WarCry

WarCry

Ours was 3 hours, once a week for 10 weeks. I will make you a promise that I will never try and use that as an excuse with any dealings I have with police officers anywhere, ever.....

....because, as much as I DID take away from the class, I'm not stupid....

15. JBaird22

JBaird22

I teach domestic violence in ours. The problem with ours is I am teaching people who were "suggested" by the chief and they aren't part of the silent majority. I would like to see more people from that segment of our community but its whatever.

As far as doing it on my own time, I teach it when I am on duty and they do a good job of scheduling it that way. Again, the way it is now, I don't really see the value in it as I feel we are just preaching to the choir.

16. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Our department holds one three times a year. They are one three hour session each week for 10 weeks, then the graduates get to do one ride along. Each class has about 30 students and it's open enrollment.

We find it to be a very good PR opportunity for the department and LE in general. There is always a few officer relatives (spouses, parents, grandparents, etc.) who go through the citizens academy and it is always a positive experiance for them as they get a little closer view of what LEO's experiance.

17. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

Hey Brother anytime your on the wetside your welcome to get a 'demo' :whistling:

I think we hired that dude...............:rofl:

18. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

They actually have a couple officers that are assigned to set up and run Citizen Acadamies / Explorer Programs. Thats all they do and they get Tech pay / rank status for it (Basically FTO/SRO/SWAT pay). So they set up and run atleast one or two per year and usually have one specifically for Officers Family Members. They get to experience all the fun stuff and everyone I know who has done it loved it and learned a lot about what we really do rather then what they see on TV. I wish more people would attend them so they have a positive view on what we do every day.

Funny thing about that is that in the study I know about on that matter (that my Department was one of the test Departments on) Officers actually did not seem to react at all to race and only fired at a percieved threat no matter the color of their skin. When the civi's off the street did it they were much more likely to fire on a minority with no weapon. Shows how much she knew....

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I fire based on what the person is doing... they can be covered head to toe but if they point a gun (even with an orange tip) at me, and don't comply with my order to drop it, they are getting some perforations to help with summer cooling. How hard of a concept is that?

20. Ribbler

Ribbler

I attended the Las Vegas Metro Police Academy about a year ago. It was a 12 week course where we met once a week for three hours each time. It was a great experience and a lot of fun. Our classes included learning about all different division of the force from vice to homicide etc. We got to go down to the jail and see how things work there and we were able to go to the range and shoot. My favorite day was the simulated situations including various types of traffic stops and dispute resolution on simulated calls. We were partnered up and with our partner had to respond to various scenarios as dictated by our instructor. The vehicle stops were done using an old squad car and a confiscated vehicle (all parked). We had to use the squad car - make the simulated radio call, determine how to approach the vehicle depending on the situation (felony stop, warrant, speeding etc.). It was a ton of fun and a great experience. I'd recommend it to anybody who has the time.