Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I'm curious: how does everyone do their citations here? I recently saw this article on P1 (http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...-reasons-why-eCitations-are-better-than-paper) so I decided I would post while it's fresh.

In Iowa, we have a program called TraCS (Traffic & Criminal Software) created by the Iowa DOT. TraCS uses a barcode scanner to populate information from the violator's DL and registration card, I select the code section, location, and print. Then I use the same barcode scanner to scan their signature back into the system. TraCS also allows us to do all of the forms for accident investigations (or just information exchanges), OWI/Implied Consent checklists, Complaint and Affidavits, everything. It's a great system and I figured everyone has to be digital by now, but I see a lot of recent videos of guys still handwriting everything.

We also have a new Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) which is mandated statewide. Even if you hand write a ticket, you have to scan it to a PDF and then upload it to the Courts website so that it gets sent to the Clerk of Court. It's really trying to dissuade people from still doing it the old way.

So, tell me: how do you guys do your citations and such?

· BOOSH
4,012 Posts
We hand write for all citations, but use a computerized program for crashes (IyeTek or some variation of the spelling). I don't particularly kind hand writing them, except we have 3 variations of tickets (2 county issued and a unique local ticket), so depending on what happens, it could get complicated.

· Registered
269 Posts
We're in transition, we'll be using software from Brazos Technology. I haven't warmed up to it yet. A stop takes me about twice as long using the Ewriter, which comes in handy if I'm waiting for K9. But generally, I'm faster & more efficient with good old pen & paper.

The state went digital with crash reports. It's the same form, just filled out via computer. I like the diagrams being much neater than my pocket template would do. But since there is no way to auto-populate, it takes a while to copy & paste switching back & forth between programs. Again, it takes me about twice as long as filling in the blanks with a pen, but they can read my reports now.

My son on the other hand does all his reports, AR's & statements on the PDF forms available through our records management system. I think it's no surprise that the younger guys are just more comfortable with computers than old farts like me.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
We use TraCs 10, it's a flaming pain in the &*^. the incident locator tool is the worst. The only time TraCs shines is when multiple citations will be issued to the same offender.
It's not just a problem with 10, TraCS itself is the root problem. I don't complain about the ILT nearly as much now that the GPS function works properly.

It's the intermittent problems that pop up that are the worst. Kinda like the other night when for some reason I suddenly couldn't print anything but the redacted version of the informing the accused or notice of intent to suspend. When I was a TraCS admin and went to the yearly conference in the Dell's, they referred to them as "features".

· Registered
778 Posts
Incident reports and accident reports are always on the computer, even if you do it on paper on scene and transfer it later. All citations are hand written. The original is turned in to the clerk via walking in and dropping it off. :) Small town USA.

· Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use TraCs 10, it's a flaming pain in the &*^. the incident locator tool is the worst. The only time TraCs shines is when multiple citations will be issued to the same offender.
It's not just a problem with 10, TraCS itself is the root problem. I don't complain about the ILT nearly as much now that the GPS function works properly.

It's the intermittent problems that pop up that are the worst. Kinda like the other night when for some reason I suddenly couldn't print anything but the redacted version of the informing the accused or notice of intent to suspend. When I was a TraCS admin and went to the yearly conference in the Dell's, they referred to them as "features".
That's weird. I love TraCS, it makes my life a hell of a lot easier. We never have problems with TraCS, usually if there's an issue pertaining to our citation system, it's that the barcode scanner goes haywire.

· Registered
7,829 Posts
Citations are still had written by most agencies here. In fact, the state police are the only ones I know of using electronic printed citations.

All of our DUI paperwork is still hand written as well except for the criminal complaint. For our crash reports the whole state uses a program called Report Beam. Seems to work decent enough to most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
38,684 Posts
Our traffic guys tried it 5 years ago and dropped it. I think there were some issues with the processing side so we are all paper again.

· Registered
16,875 Posts
I hate TraCs, and so does everyone else here; alhtough it does have good diagrams....the locate feature never seems to work, and sometimes the auot-populate goes down and you have to hand enter everything....

I write very few citations, but I issue quite a few written warnings; the citations I do electronically, the warnings I am about 50/50, and I do all of my FI's by hand....

· Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
8,261 Posts
We do everything digital, using eCite for traffic citations and also non-traffic citations. It's a beautiful thing when you can do both traffic and non-traffic and populate everything you need off of the DL scan and license plate data. We have Brother PocketJet thermal printers that use perforated roll paper. I think they are awesome most of the time.

Traffic accidents we do on eCrash and it's super simple and generates really great crash diagrams down to the smallest details if you want to add them. My only complaint with eCrash is that once you start the report on one computer you have to finish it on that computer. No going back to the PD to load what I saved and finish at my desk.

· Registered
11,892 Posts
SECTOR up here. Good system, joined with small thermal printers in the cars. Easy to transfer reports and cites to a thumb drive so you can work in the station.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
We had 2 previous versions of TraCS, I was ok with them. We don't use barcode scanners, we import data from WI-DOT returns. It doesn't import out of state DL or registration info.

10 takes more time, and is not user friendly or intuitive to use. WI UTC's and crash reports have more info on them than most other states, so if TraCS doesn't auto-pop there is a silly amount of typing that needs to be done.

I'm pretty sure the reason TraCS is attractive, it auto-pops into our LERMS database, and into WI-CCAP. So it pretty much eliminates data entry for citations.

· Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm surprised with the issues some of you have with TraCS. It has been flawless for me. Maybe we get a better version of the product since we're the origin ;).

We just got a new CAD (Zuercher, pronounced ZER-ker) and all of our TraCS forms port over and attach to the appropriate names in our master name list. It's slick.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
We had 2 previous versions of TraCS, I was ok with them. We don't use barcode scanners, we import data from WI-DOT returns. It doesn't import out of state DL or registration info.

10 takes more time, and is not user friendly or intuitive to use. WI UTC's and crash reports have more info on them than most other states, so if TraCS doesn't auto-pop there is a silly amount of typing that needs to be done.

I'm pretty sure the reason TraCS is attractive, it auto-pops into our LERMS database, and into WI-CCAP. So it pretty much eliminates data entry for citations.
I agree that 10 is less user friendly than older versions. WISDOT is actually changing some of the fields on the MV4000 crash form very soon. I just got an email on this. I can forward it to you if you are interested.

TraCS also does work with out of state XML files now for numerous states. At least if you're running them in MACH. Not sure about e-time. I also have an email about this if you're interested.

CCAP loves TraCS because it eliminates a vast majority of their work. Clerks now just have to download the citations from the server and it pretty much takes care of itself.

· Registered
712 Posts
Patrol handwrites tickets, though there is talk of an electronic system, with the printer in the trunk of the car...that's safe and convenient. The motors use electronic tickets.

i hand write injury accidents (no reports for non injury), but California and CHP offer CARS for electronic crash reports. All DMV forms for DUI, etc are hand written.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
I agree that 10 is less user friendly than older versions.

TraCS also does work with out of state XML files now for numerous states. At least if you're running them in MACH. Not sure about e-time. I also have an email about this if you're interested.
I have no idea what MACH is PS-Portals, or E-Time are what we get.

We use Visinet MDC software that has most data checks in it, and also logs what we run in our call history.

It is less friendly than E-time, but also does CIB crim hist when we run a person. Unfortunately it will also crash/lock-up if we try to make an XML on a person that has a DL file, but has never been issued a WI DL/ID.

E-time is much more versatile, but requires additional sign on etc to use. Not to mention being less user friendly for use in a vehicle.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
We use Brazos Technology's E-Citation but I still carry a ticket book in case it malfunctions. Also, it doesn't work with our accident reporting which is TX DOT's CRIS CRASH- a web based.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts