Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
(>'-')>
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking for an entry level 1911 to get into them and the research that ive managed to do has told me that theyre a damn good 'entry level' gun. but nothing to compare to a kimber or a colt.

i was wondering if anyone here has had any personal experience with them for better worse. im looking for first hand experience, not my buddys buddys cousin once read in china that they were bad type of info...:supergrin:

thanks in advance
:wavey:

·
Banned
112 Posts
It's probably a very good gun since it's made by Armscor. My Rock Island Armory (RIA by Armscor) 1911A1-MS is a quality, solid pistol despite the budget price. Good steel and finishing. I'd definitely buy another...

·
Rent this space
9,991 Posts
i recommended a Citadel to a friend since he was on a limited budget. i worked on it because he was having problems in the first 150 rounds. mostly do to a ton of oil in the firing pin channel from the factory. The work (de-burr and trigger job) i did on it was the day before our pistol class and he ran 500 flawless rounds the next day. the slide to frame fit was very nice. he's now looking to get a 5"

here's pics from when were were done with the class, which was in the cold rain.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's mine. An all steel, series 70, 3.5inch bull barrel Citadel Officers. The only difference I see between these, and the Rock Island Armory 1911 compact is the sights. These already come with standard Novak sight cuts, which makes it a breeze to upgrade.

The trigger is very nice, and crisp out of the box. I'm using wolf spring, and haven't had a FTF, or FTE. It's more accurate than my G36. I'm changing out the sights, as soon as I have the time.

GlockMonk

·
Banned
112 Posts
GlockMonk, are the slide stop and thumb safety aftermarket parts or did you just polish them up? Also, did that extended thumb safety come standard?

·
Registered
327 Posts
GlockMonk, are the slide stop and thumb safety aftermarket parts or did you just polish them up? Also, did that extended thumb safety come standard?
They're Ed Brown parts. It came with standard GI thumb safety. I had parts lying around, so decided to put 'em on. The factory ones worked, and functioned great, also.

GlockMonk

Edit: +1 to what "Quack" said above. The pistol came packed with grease to last 100 years. A good cleaning is a must before you do anything with it.

·
THE CROW
406 Posts
Your absolutely right in the fact that RIA and Charles Daly and Citadel are all made by Armscor,they all look quite similar with just a few differences.My RIA CS-Tactical.

·
(>'-')>
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm thanks for the responses. it seems as though i may have found my first 1911 platform.

with the exception of a good cleaning/de-greasing any recommended up-grades or modifications that should be done out of the box?

·
Banned
112 Posts
with the exception of a good cleaning/de-greasing any recommended up-grades or modifications that should be done out of the box?
Nope, you don't need to do a thing right out of the box. I tore mine down, cleaned, lubed and hand racked the crap out of it with snap caps...then cleaned and lubed it again before shooting it. No upgrades or modifications need to be done.

Just go shoot it, break it in well and make sure there's no problems. No point in wasting time/money on upgrades if it's not a shooter right "out of the box".

·
Banned
112 Posts
when you detail strip it, see if the trigger moves freely.
my friends trigger was binding up in the track, so i just replaced it with a spare i had.
No need to detail strip it out of the box. Especially for the OP as it will be his first 1911. That can come later down the road as he gets more experience with it after having some fun with his new pistol. It would really suck to want to shoot it and not be able to get everything back together, even though it's not that hard once you do it a few times. As for the trigger, mine had a very slight "draggy/gritty feel". It mostly went away after the first session of about 200 rounds. When I did detail strip it, I found the trigger bow had been parkerized. I lightly sanded the finish off and it slicked up quite nicely. Easy fix and it really wasn't that big of a deal in the first place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's mine. An all steel, series 70, 3.5inch bull barrel Citadel Officers. The only difference I see between these, and the Rock Island Armory 1911 compact is the sights. These already come with standard Novak sight cuts, which makes it a breeze to upgrade.

The trigger is very nice, and crisp out of the box. I'm using wolf spring, and haven't had a FTF, or FTE. It's more accurate than my G36. I'm changing out the sights, as soon as I have the time.

GlockMonk
Never seen a 1911 chambered in 30-06.

:tongueout:

·
Rent this space
9,991 Posts
No need to detail strip it out of the box. Especially for the OP as it will be his first 1911. That can come later down the road as he gets more experience with it after having some fun with his new pistol. It would really suck to want to shoot it and not be able to get everything back together, even though it's not that hard once you do it a few times. As for the trigger, mine had a very slight "draggy/gritty feel". It mostly went away after the first session of about 200 rounds. When I did detail strip it, I found the trigger bow had been parkerized. I lightly sanded the finish off and it slicked up quite nicely. Easy fix and it really wasn't that big of a deal in the first place.
needed to detail strip my friends to get all the grease/oil out.
i stoned his trigger bow free of parkerizing and it was still crappy, that's why i threw in a spare trigger that i had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts