Circuit City Advantage

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhedley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. rhedley

rhedley Guest

NEVER AGAIN, What a rip off $399.99 for a "IN House Protection Plan" of a Sony computer.
    After a hour or more trying to work with the Web Site, and two Toll free numbers, I get a live person, He promptly tells me to close down the computer, we are going to re format the system. I asked WHEN the "IN HOUSE" part of this PROTECTION PLAN starts?

My problem was with the Wireless Keyboard and Mouse that came with the computer.. His solution seemed a bit strange, to say the least..

To make this short, I declined his offer of help..
    NO MORE Circuit City or extended warranties for me.

What are your experiences?

2. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I despise mail in rebates which Circuit City still uses, but best buy does not. I don't bother with the extended warranties on anything other than appliances, and most of the time not even then.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have posted my experience here before quite a while ago. But it bears repeating.

Purchases a laptop from Best Buy. Got talked into the extended warranty. 3 yrs to be exact. Nearing the end of the three years the laptop took a crap. So I took it back. They sent it in. Then it was sent back with a note that said it was water damaged. I knew it wasn't so I asked them to tear it down in the store and show me the water damage. Which they did but couldn't find any water damage. So it was sent back. BTW, this computer wouldn't even begin to power up. It was sent back the second time. Again, with the note of water damage. However, now it would power up. It had nearly no marks on the case, when my original one has some significant wear due to 3 years of hard use. Then I took a closer look and noticed that it wasn't even the same model number. Looked the same but with a different model number. I was concerned that I had someone elses laptop. So I pointed out the obvious differences. The manager of the computer department told me that it was, in fact, mine and that I was a liar. In the middle of the store, with customers around, he called me a liar.
    So I took it to the next level. After several attempts at pacifying me and about three months later, I got a call from Best Buy corp. stating that I had $1800 in store credit to buy whatever I wanted. So I went and got a new laptop.
    What made me mad was that told me it was my laptop and it couldn't be repaired. If they had told me up front, this laptop is a refurb replacement with your harddrive and data on it I would have been fine with it. But since they lied and tried to cover it up I was mad.
    Anyway, I have not spent so much as a dime at Best Buy since.

4. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

lomfs24

Who did you take it to at the "next level". My local BestBuy has been jerking my chain about something similar, though not a computer.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

I basically took it to the next level by contacting Best Buy Corp directly. Click Here! to go directly to their contact information for Corporate. I don't remember exactly how I made the first contact. I think it was by phone. You will get some lacky who doesn't care so you have to give him a brief detail about what you want. Basically give him enough info to make him realize it's above his pay grade. Then ask for someone who can help you. Be very brief and concise with your statements. And above all maintain your cool. As soon as you get mad and yell, you lose. If you know you are right, and you are not trying to pull one over on them, stick to your guns. Tell them exactly what is wrong and exactly how you expect it to be rectified. Nothing more, nothing less. This lets them know you won't be bullied around but it also lets them know you are not trying to take them for everything they have. Be firm with them and let them know clearly that you are prepared to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and you are prepared to file a law suit if need be (whether you really are or not). They will try to buy you off with some gift certificates and what not. I told the lady told me she was going to send me some gift certificates "Thank You, you can send them if you like but be advised, this is in no way finished. I am still not happy with what happened".
    If you stick to your guns you can get it done. But be prepared for several weeks to a couple months of phone calls back and forth and a lot of arguing with people who are just trying to bail the company out.

Good luck!

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

P.S. Best Buy really doesn't care whether or not you file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. However, it makes you feel like you have done something. Then if enough complaints get filed, the BBB is one place lawyers will look to see if a certain complaint warrants a class action lawsuit.

7. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member