close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cichlids Anyone??

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SVTPT92, Feb 6, 2005.

1. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

I'm not sure if this forum is mostly for furry animals, but I was just wondering if any of the GTers were also into the aquatic hobby as well. I used to own a business where I imported, bred and sold African cichlids. I actually sold all of my tanks (focused on college), but to my demise I bought a 10/22.. which started my gun collection (same evil, different device).

Just curious what species/tanks everyone here has? I'll reply with mine if anyone responds lol.

-Chris

2. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

we do. this is my husband's hobby so i'm not sure of all of the particulars but this is what i do know...

we've had several cichlid and saltwater/reef tanks over the last several years. we had an oscar and some firemouths in a 75 gal tank and about 7 tanks (ranging from 5 to 15 gallons) of convicts. we had the 75 gal set up for several years just last year, something mysteriously killed everything in the 75 gal except for the pleco. we got rid of all of the convicts just because we had too many dang tanks! :) today, we have a 75 gal tank set up with about 16 lake malawi cichlids. here's a link to the set up.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/displaytank.php?tank=3770

my husband built a 15" cube tank (he has an acrylic fabricating side business) which will be home to some shell dwellers (sorry i don't recall the names) when he has time to go buy them from the breeder.

our reef tanks have included one 15 gal, a 40 gal, and now we have a 50 gal. we have a clam, one wrasse, and about 20 corals/mushrooms. again, i'm not sure of all the specific names so i apologize.

cichlids are by far the best freshwater fish, IMO.

:)

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I had a breeding pair of Kribs. Now Imy cichlids are limited to 3 Angels.

4. sixshooterfan

sixshooterfan

Just getting into cichlids after my mini-reef crashed. I've got yellow labs and red zebras in a 20L.

5. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

I am mostly into Tanganyikan Cichlids... these are the African relatives of Oscars and Angelfish (for those who didn't know what a cichlid is - it is a very large family of tropical fish that are found around the world).

Currently I only have a 300 gallon tank with:
    Neolamprologus Similis
    Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus
    Enantopius Melanogeny
    Cyprichromis Kitumba

Pretty cool fish if you look them up on the net. I had over 50 tanks a few years ago, now I wish I kept at least half of them.. oh well live and learn. I don't think I'll be selling my guns anytime soon... lesson learned haha.

6. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

300 gallons? wow. my hubby would be jealous! do you happen to have any pictures?

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I have a 10 gallon tank with neons. I had angelfish before but I need to up my tank to a larger size in order to keep those guys long term.

Neighbor down the street has a 55 gallon and used to have an Oscar named Edgar. When we'd go fishing and had leftover crickets, we'd hand feed him. :)

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Fun thread. It's neat reading about all of your different tanks. That 300 gallon tank must be very impressive!

No cichlids here at the moment. I kept a brackish tank and and cichlid tank in college. The big dog of the cichlid tank was a menenguenza (sp?).

Last summer, after not having a tank for 15 years, I bought a 30 gallon hex tank to share with the kids. This tank is all friendly, community, tropical fish. My favorites are the 4 clown loachs and the tank also has a few types of tetras and dwarf gouramis.

I don't know why I waited so long without a tank because I'm sure enjoying this one. I've even given some thought into getting a marine tank which is something I've never done before.

9. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

Once I clean the 300 I'll take some pics... but I can't promise taking any good pics of the fish. You really need a decent SLR camera to get consistent good fish pics.

I just set up a 75 today and am planning on setting up another 75 and 125 gallon tank. Tomorrow I'm picking up around two dozen large Mpimbwe Blue Frontosas.. so hopefully I'll be able to start breeding them.

I don't think I could ever go too long without a tank... this has been two years, but the people of the fish hobby are often as interesting and out reaching as a lot of guys on Glocktalk. The club that I'm a member of is www.gcas.org, The Greater Cincinnati Aquarium society. If anyone has a question about fish, the members there will definitely be able to help out.

10. Godfather

Godfather

Yep, my roomate has a 30gal tank with a very nice variety of Afericans. We are having trouble keeping other fish alive with them though...they intimidate them into not eating.

11. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

My family was always into tropial fish... now, mostly Koi in outdoor ponds...

However, we all had Silver Arowanas, an ancient amazonian species.

My brother's, which he had to give-up a few years back, was HUGE! He had a 150 gallon tank which was 6 ft. long. His Arowana was just over 3 ft. long, and about 8 inches broad.

I had a much smaller one, that used to eat the mice the family cats caught.

http://fish.orbust.net/silverarowana.html

12. 1865

1865 Ultra-violent

I just got a 55 gallon tank! So far the only residents are 5 Zebra Danios, to start the cycle. I'm trying to decide between Cichlids and plain old aquarium fish. See my "SO Busted" thread for a look at my tank.

13. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

1865 Go with cichlids! They are a blast.. it's amazing to see how evolved and intricate their behaviors are. I'd go with African cichlids more so than south American (just a personal preference). The cichlids from Lake Malawi tend to be much more attractive, but the ones from Tanganyikan are much more interesting and adapted to their niches. For a really interesting fish from lake Tanganyika I'd go with Neolamprologus Pulcher (or "Daffodil Brichardi"). A lot of pet stores carry them, and once they pair off and start breeding it's really a sight. They have extended-family breeding practices where all generations protect the younger ones... something you really dont' see often in the fish-world.

Just an idea.

14. 1865

1865 Ultra-violent

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaving strongly towards the Cichlids. My water pH is 7.8-7.9, and from what I have read they like a higer pH like that more than basic aquarium fish. My only concern is, how many of them could I have in a 55 gallon aquarium? I know that they tend to be territorial, and if I would only be able to have 5-6 of them I would prefer a type that would allow me more fish.

15. noway

noway

Cichlids?

Will I never had them as a pet but the Mayan Cichild and it's bigger cousin Peacock bass are good fighters and taste great on the grill ;f

16. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

1865- The number of cichlids in a 55 all depends on what species... it's hard to do a quick 20-second lesson..but I'll do my best. Most Malawian cichlids are easily put in large numbers... in fact it's easier to have more of them than fewer, because they'll have more targets to vent their aggression.

As far as tanganyikans go... that's a bit more difficult. Some species such as the Brichardi can take over large areas of the tank.. because of their breeding habits. So you could start by buying 6 of them, then they'll kill off one or two. Then with the other two pairs of fish, they will EASILY populate the tank which would be fun to watch also.

It depends on what path you'd like. You can always PM me if you have any questions.

17. Sektor

Sektor Ravishing One

wow i am sorry i found this thread a month late. I have been keeping big central american cichlids for the past 3 years. Everything from midas, red devils, grammodes, dovii, managuense.

currently i have 4 juvenille midas I am raising and a 6" loisellei.

In addition I have some other oddball preds: 7" black piranha, 6" red fin wolf fish.

18. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

The trick with Cichlids is to load the tank up so they can't have territories. That way they don't fight nearly as much. If you're breeding them then it's a different matter, but if you provide lots of rock, and lots of coral sand for them to dig in (Coral buffers the PH) they will be fine with a Dozen or more large Africans in a 55 with the proper filtration and plants.

19. CottenClown

CottenClown

I just started a tank a few months ago after a few years. At the moment, I've only got a 20 gallon with four apistogrammas in it. Those guys have gotten pretty evil lately too. They kill everything I've put in there so far. My brother works at an aquarium supply store and swears they are pretty even tempered fish, but they even went after my panda corey. According to my brother, that is odd. I'm not a big fish guy (I only really started it because I used to have one when I was a kid and I like to look at them) so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I've since dubbed the tank the "anger management tank."

I just picked up a 100 gallon tank last week. I'm trying to find somewhere to put it and trying to figure out what to put in it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about going saltwater, but I'm not sure yet.