Church carry... Who, what, when and where?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Opie 1 Kenopie, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

So I'm getting dressed this morning to (grudgingly) accompany my wife and kids to church and I got to thinking about Sunday morning carry options. Who carries? What do you carry? What is your situation once you get there?

I've been carrying in church and everywhere else for 15+ years. My wife used to raise an eyebrow at my carrying in church but now she thinks its normal and even asks if I have it on me as we leave.

I'm an Active Shooter Response instructor for my agency and in my classes it often comes up that quite a few AS incidents recently have been directed toward religious places or groups. And what better soft target than a building crammed full of unarmed people who believe something different than you? It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. I always close my classes with the recommendation that my guys find something they can carry off duty and carry it ALWAYS. Church included.

So let me hear about your setups. Do you sit in the back? (I do)
    Do you leave your EDC pistol in the car to please the wife? Do you downsize to a smaller CCW pistol for the morning then go back to your regular rig the rest of the week? FWIW I sat through church this morning with a G23 on my belt under a jacket, backed up by two 15 round mags on my weak side. Along with a loaded cellphone I was as prepared as I could've been to help protect this group from a shooter. Your thoughts?

2. Citadel15L

Citadel15L

What the hell is a "loaded" cell phone?

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I don't go to church but if I did, I would carry there for sure. I will carry wherever I can and my wife knows there is not a compromise based on anyone's opinion of what I do in this case. I just tell her she's lucky to have an armed security detachment all to herself.

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I've been going to church since August 1993 with a G17 loaded with 9mm +p+ 115gr bullets.

5. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Seriously?

6. Citadel15L

Citadel15L

In all my existence I have never heard the term "loaded" cell phone. So yes, I am seriously befuddled.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I would assume it means by "loaded"... it's ready for him to use in a crisis (ie, to call for help). However, I'm with you, I have never, ever heard that term.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

IGF, that is how I've heard it several times. My CCW instructor about 7 years ago used that term.

I carry every time I enter...usually once a week. Most of the time I carry my trusted G26, sometimes the G32 depending on what I'm wearing.

The only thing I am careful about is little old ladies who like to hug from the side. :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

9. skennedy

skennedy

My church carry gun - Ruger LCP in D. M. Bullard pocket holster. I carry the G23 when clothes allow it.
    [​IMG]

10. flyover

flyover

Sorry, not allowed in Kansas last I knew.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  11. tshadow6

tshadow6

When I carry my G-19 to Mass, it is on my hip under my sport jacket. I always wear a jacket to Mass. I keep a spare magazine in my left pocket. I sometimes carry my Bersa .380 in a similar set up. Fobus paddle holster, spare magazines, all under a nice jacket. It is easy to conceal in church since jackets and ties are normal.

12. Daniel r

Daniel r

In my church several people carry, my self and wife are part of the security ministry. I carry G21 and a Tac light. Wife carries a G23 and an ASP. We also have 2 L.E. Members on the team, an Ex Marine and an old Army engineer.
    Remember 1 in 4 has a mental disorder of some kind, and with some of these churches holding 10000 people, that is a lot to watch out for
    Dan

13. Robreynolds

Robreynolds Registered User

I used to try to carry with my Crossbreed Supertuck in church alot. But like a few of the other guys have said, a paddle holster covered by a jacket is about the best and by far the most comfortable.

14. Winter_Born

Winter_Born

Carry what I usually carry, either a G30 sf IWB (+ 1 13 rd reload)or occasionally a SP101 in a shoulder holster (+2 reloads)and the miss has her Beretta nano (+ 1 reload)on her. The pastor encourages us to carry to services and the church insurance company does as well so it's not a big deal. Church just seems like too easy a target for some sociopath that I have never considered not carrying personally. I sit in the back as well, out of direct line of sight of the main entrance. I also help out with the children's ministry which is in a separate building that is isolated somewhat, so just another reason to be armed just in case someone wanders in.

"The only thing I am careful about is little old ladies who like to hug from the side."

Funny thing is probably 1 in 3 of the little old ladies I know carry a 357 in there purses and would laugh and scold me for not preventing them finding my weapon.

15. sarge83

sarge83

I carry every service, have for 20+yrs. either a keltec P32 in my pocket, JFrame S&W, a Firestar 9mm or a keltec pf9 in my jacket. I run the sound room in our church and have an excellent view of the auditorium.

16. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Rarely go to church, and need pastor's permission in MO. If I did, EDC is good enough for God too. G20/MTAC. I heard Arkansas just passed a law allowing it, though.

17. Jim S.

Jim S.

Grudgingly going to church hey?
    You are a shooting instructor. Did you know that God considers the man responsible for instructing his family (wife and children) about spiritual matters?
    Just thought I would dig you on that grudgingly crap.

I carry all the time. Even when I take the family to church.
    As far as the hugs from the church ladies... be sure to hug low and that sort of forces them to hug high and miss the hardware.

18. WT

WT Millennium Member

I guess I have one disagreement with this thread.

It appears most are prepared to stop an active shooter, rather than preventing the incident from happening.

For instance, sitting in the back to one side, out of line with the main entrance. Okay. The BG walks in with an AR and 30 round mag. He rips off 30 rounds into the worshipers before security personnel can present their weapons. When he reloads security puts him down.

Not a Success story in my way of thinking.

If I am off line here just smack me upside the head with a 2 by 4. I don't have all the answers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Winter_Born

Winter_Born

I don't call myself security, not trained for it and I'm in the medical field, just a armed citizen who prepares realistically. If I was alone I would probably sit outside the door with a wireless earpiece connected to the sound system so I could listen to the sermon and watch or something like that. But I'm more thinking getting my wife and 4 children under 7 out quickly and safely and then do what I can. As it is the former military ex cop watches the door and he shoots better than me anyway.

20. WT

WT Millennium Member

deleted

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020