GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
His G17 should go into a museum or something similar. While other pistols are capable of similar round counts, his was well documented in various articles over the last 30 years. I very much enjoyed reading them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Um, no. Unless Glock chopped and fattened the G19 lower to make it the size of a 30s and I never heard about it.

45 ACP.
Fits in same holster. Looks the same over all side by side. As close as you are gonna get in 45 acp Feels the same to me on the draw. Kicks more

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
No one should comply with anything the tax and spend on your dime do . Look what they tried with Trump , and they get away with every thing .

·
17,622 Posts
I've lost track! What is the latest report on how many rounds Chuck Taylor had fired through his Generation 1 Glock 17?
It kind of makes you wonder why people think the Gen 5's are so greatly "Improved" over previous generations.

to me the biggest improvement was the elimination of the finger grooves which the Gen 1's didn't have.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It kind of makes you wonder why people think the Gen 5's are so greatly "Improved" over previous generations.

to me the biggest improvement was the elimination of the finger grooves which the Gen 1's didn't have.
I really like my 17.5. The new "Polymid traction Rough Textured Frame" (Gen 4 grip texture) without finger grooves, larger magazine release, beveled muzzle area, forward slide serrations, ambidextrous slide release, and slightly flared magazine well are very nice features that I think distinguish the Gen 5 Model 17 from its predecessors.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The Gen5 IS better in every way, except the finish. What Chuck Taylor did with his 17, such as leaving it in the ocean for 6 months, thousands upon thousands of holster presentations and constantly being dropped or thrown on the ground over many years would reveal a surface bereft of the finish and no doubt much rust and pitting on a Gen5. Why Glock chose to degrade the finish and rust proof ability of the pistol is baffling to me. It was one of the primary selling points of the pistol back when I bought my first one, a Gen1 17, in 1988.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Gen5 IS better in every way, except the finish. What Chuck Taylor did with his 17, such as leaving it in the ocean for 6 months, thousands upon thousands of holster presentations and constantly being dropped or thrown on the ground over many years would reveal a surface bereft of the finish and no doubt much rust and pitting on a Gen5. Why Glock chose to degrade the finish and rust proof ability of the pistol is baffling to me. It was one of the primary selling points of the pistol back when I bought my first one, a Gen1 17, in 1988.
My guess is environmental and/or other government regulations in the USA prevent them from using the older finishes.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
My guess is environmental and/or other government regulations in the USA prevent them from using the older finishes.
They're still using a nitride base finish. It's the outer finish that is less than optimal. My Gen 4's have 10,000 rounds each on them and they still look as good as the day that I bought them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
“Generally speaking, however, I prefer two specific handguns -- the old Colt LW Commander .45 ACP and the Gen 2 Glock 17 9mm. Assuming I have a choice (which on numerous occasions during my life where a self-defense scenario occurred often have not always had), these two handguns with the right ammo are good medicine.”
-Chuck Taylor

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
I really like my 17.5. The new "Polymid traction Rough Textured Frame" (Gen 4 grip texture) without finger grooves, larger magazine release, beveled muzzle area, forward slide serrations, ambidextrous slide release, and slightly flared magazine well are very nice features that I think distinguish the Gen 5 Model 17 from its predecessors.
This! I'll add the addition of the rail from the Gen 3 forward was a very good addition to the design. Also, in the Gen 5 we have ambi controls which are important for left-handed folks as well as right-handed folks in the event they have to manipulate the other side controls if injured. All are excellent enhancements.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It kind of makes you wonder why people think the Gen 5's are so greatly "Improved" over previous generations.QUOTE

No matter how good a product is, companies are forced by market pressure* to change the product.

*The consumer screams, "new ,new, it must be NEW!"

21 - 40 of 55 Posts