Chrysler to move Jeep production to China.. for real this time

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Atlas, Jan 20, 2013.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

But I can still use the phrase Be American, Buy American. Right?

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Producing and selling them in China is not the same as producing them in China and importing them to the US. Which is it? I see nothing about moving production to China, only building them in China, adding dealers in China and increasing sales in China. Of course the WSJ wants a subscription so I can only see the second article.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

This.

Nothing I have read anywhere says that Chrysler is moving production of their Jeeps to China. They are going to build Jeeps IN China for the Chinese market.

It's a smart business move.

Of course some day in the future Chinese built Jeeps could make their way to American shores, but I don't know the "ifs" and "whens" of such a situation.

American Jeeps will still be built in America.

I do wonder what the financial difference is between the cheaper labor costs in China, versus packing up Chinese built vehicles and shipping them to America. Plus, vehicles built for the Chinese market are almost sure to have differences mandated by the Chinese government, so they may be too different to bring to the U.S.......don't know.

4. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Sorry, looks like my thread title is in error according to the available news articles.

I was told Friday by someone within the Chrysler organization that they are moving production to China. Either she was mistaken or I misunderstood her.

5. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I love jeep <3

6. Fungunner

Fungunner

I'm reading, they want to set up shop there to build them for other markets. No different than Toyota or BMW opening plants in the US. Except, maybe, if the Unions get too rowdy here, they can crank up another shift of eager Chinese to build for export.

7. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Until someone other than Dodge makes the Jeep, I wouldn't buy it regardless.

Maybe quality will step back up once it's made in another country.

8. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Why not move? We bailed them out with money borrowed from China.:whistling:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Reading is fundamental! :whistling:

10. Anon1

Anon1

What did Mitt really say and was it reported in the media correctly?

"[Mitt Romney] Says Barack Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China" at the cost of American jobs."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/whoops-politifacts-lie-year-turns-out-be-true_696223.html

By expanding Jeep production to China, instead of increasing Jeep production in the U.S., it's safe to say Jeep (or more properly, Fiat, which now owns Chrysler) is choosing to create more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out.

11. engineer151515

engineer151515

China accuses the U.S. of unfairly subsidizing it own automakers. Seeing that policy as damaging to China’s domestic industry, China decided about a year ago to impose new import tariffs on several U.S. auto manufacturers. Chrysler was included on that list. All this gets thrown into the mix when deciding where to build a new plant. Cheaper labor, no import tariffs, growing market, land to build, fewer environmental restrictions and permits can be bought with some cash under the table. Given those conditions, why build in the business unfriendly US?

12. FCastle88

FCastle88

I had a Cherokee for a couple years, got rid of it after almost everything electronic in it crapped out. Every 6 months or so a random sensor would go out, had the notorious window motors break several times at a replacement cost of almost $400 each, had to replace the power steering pump and A/C compressor, sometimes it would get stuck in 4WD, other times when in 4WD something would randomly partially disengage and start grinding while I lost power to the wheels. I will never buy another Jeep, or probably another American vehicle for that matter.

13. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Well the media jumped all over the misquote of Romney and made it a page one issue.

At that point I knew the media was lying! Guess I was right with my assumption.

14. GunHo198

GunHo198

I'm sure the Jeeps made in China will have the smaller 4cyl. Motors and get a lot better mileage.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'll buy a Ford. That's it though as far as American vehicles go.

Anything else will be a Tundra, Titan, or Tacoma.

16. GunHo198

GunHo198

17. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Most here and the OP are missing the point. Romney called it right during the election. Chrysler executives and the liberal media were covering down for Obama in the 2012 election.

18. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

From Wikipedia

American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984.[22] The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. The original 1984 XJ model was updated and called the "Jeep 2500" toward the end of its production that ended after 2005.[23]

Been there, done that. Just doing it again for the international market.

19. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Not really, the devil is in the details. Mitt said he read a report saying Jeep was considering "moving all production to China" and that he (Romney) would "never move US jobs to China".

Factually, Jeep is not moving any US jobs to China nor is it (or it ever was) moving all production of Jeeps to China.

Specifically, Romney was dead wrong on both counts and looked like a fool making such inflammatory statements that could (and everyone knew would) be completely shot down by Sergio Marchionne the CEO of Fiat.

Can't dispute the media comments as they are true...but Romney was never right and should have just shut his mouth instead of spreading a salacious half truth.