close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chronographs: School Me!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SinCityGlocker, Feb 22, 2010.

1. SinCityGlocker

SinCityGlocker

I want to buy a chronograph. I have been reloading for about two years and I want to see what my loads are actually doing. I have been reloading .45 and 10mm. I am very happy with my .45 loads, but I want to know how my 10mm is in comparison to factory loads, etc. A gun shop owner friend of mine told me great stories of Oehler, but a search of their website leads me to believe they have ceased operations. I want a chrono that is accurate and has expandability to bring data into a PC. A printer is unimportant to me. I would be more interested in a usb output or something of the like.

That's it. Tell me what I need to know to buy a good chrony. I want to buy one in my life so it needs to be a durable, quality piece. Thanks in advance.

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

CED is the best from a accuracy point of view. It's the Oehler now that Oehler is gone.

3. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

I think that about any chrono available today is accurate and reliable. I have a Shooting Chrony without memory and with remote display (in the green-metal case). I think it's this... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=688064 ...one.

It shows velocities about 95% of the time I shoot thru it, which is as good as both of my very fine Oehler 35Ps did. If you can find one of those for a reasonable price, and that may be as much as $500 by now, it MAY be a wise investment. But I'm just a hobbiest, so $100 chronos are just fine for me.

Here's my first and most-important recommendation after you buy one--put an extra 9V. battery in your shooting or chrono bag. I know that if I don't carry an extra, the battery now in the chrono will die; if I do bring an extra, that battery will NOT die. Here's my second--aim carefully. I haven't 3 times and have had to buy new shade rods.
    :whistling:

4. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

If the option is available, pay the extra 10 bucks for the one with the most memory. Mine will hold 9 strings of up to 99 shots per string, and I wouldn't mine having even more storage then that. If you have a lot of different loads you want to try out, being able to store more than 9 strings would be nice. It's also nice to be able to interface with a computer to download your shot data so you can look it over graphically on the computer screen instead of having to scroll through it all in some little LED display one shot at a time.

This is mine:

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Digital.html

I bought the debris shield (glad I did - guns throw a lot of crap at it), the indoor lighting kit (which I have modified to run from 16 AA batteries wired in series), and the USB computer interface. I like this model a lot.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

CED Millenium +1

6. Jumper

Jumper

CED Millenium +2

7. PBKing

PBKing

Your second chrony will last longer than your first...lol
    The first tends to get shot.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I was talking with the Chrono Tech for USPSA. He said that there is a 8% varience from one chrono make to the next. Their is a difference between consistency and accuaracy. CED is the most accurate. They are all consistent. 8% is a huge swing when you really think about it for a minute. We use starting loads that are 10% below max. The difference betwen 130PF and 125PF is only 4%.

9. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

CED Millenium +3

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Eight percent variance seems like a lot - eight percent of 1400 fps would be 1288fps - that's a huge difference.

The only real way to confirm such a variance would be to line two chronographs up end to end for comparison. Personally, I'd think that considering the technology available today, there would not be that much difference. Maybe 10-20 years ago, yes, but not today. It would be a very interesting test to prove out though.

11. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

The shooting chrony is great for $100---------for me it does everything I would ask of a chronograph.

12. fredj338

fredj338

CED. I have an Oehler. What makes the Oheler the best is it's patented screens. They are the best by far. The Chrony screens are verys small & offer a very narrow range for shooting (one reason so many get shot). The CED has pretty good screens. I have lined up all three & shot over them fornt to back. The Oehler never misses, ok, maybe once in 100shots, so say 99% readings. The CED about 98% & the Chrony, as low as 75%. All read within 2% of each other on any given shot. The issue is missed shots. You must shoot low & dead center over the Chrony screens, really low., no more than 8" above the screens. For the money, the CED isn't much more & it's a better product. If you ever cross an Oehler & can buy it cheap, get one. They still support them at the factory.

13. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

I would agree with the others suggesting the CED M2 chrono. I don't own one but have borrowed one for the past year almost and liked it a lot. I plan on picking one up when I can.

14. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

CED M2 +1000

Put over 3000 rounds over it. I have shot mine about 5 times (dang large bore pistols). It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Mine rarely misses a shot even on overcast days.

No electronics on the receiving end that can get hurt, Parts are available everywhere and are real cheap.
    Has a HUGE LCD display, for the blind folks.
    Plus it is one the the few models that allow indoor chrono with the IR Screens. I have those too.

Saves all data inside the remote brain, so no need for a printer, download your strings into your PC with the supplied software and usb cable.

If you are really blind and can't read the huge display, it has a feature that talks to you and repeats the numbers displayed on the screen after every shot.:embarassed:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  15. srd

srd

CED M2..love mine. Carring case is back ordered until next month in case you are interested. I played with a friends Chrony before i bought mine. I didnt personally care for a bullet going over the electronics . Mistakes do happen even when you try to be careful.

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

If you're going to use it infrequently, just to verify FPS/PF of your "normal' loads, I don't see the point of spending a lot on one. Get a Shooting Chrony when Midway has them on sale. Don't shoot over it with a new/strange gun until you know where it hits.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

It's 8% from one chrono to the next. So if the CED is accuarate to 99.8% (there testing in a German Lab)then the others could be 4% more or less then that standard. Yep, thats a lot.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/04/20/new-ced-m2-chronograph/

Look at the size of the Shooting Chrono next to the CED. 1 ft screen spacing vs 2ft for the CED. It will show more with faster bullets as well. Read the bottom about clock speed of the unit and the screen spacing. Add the varialble of shooting outdoors in different light and you get the idea how much they can vary. CED can be put in a box with IR screens. No lighting variance that way as well. When one error (machine) compounds on another error (lighting) you end up with large swings.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  18. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

CED the only way too go.

19. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

C4W, Interesting article but it is obviously slanted.

The pic of the Shooting Chrony - they slighted the Chrony by using only one half of the post legs that come with the unit. The Chrony post legs are two separate pieces, one with a brass coupler (at least with the Beta Master unit). I agree that the reviewer's comment regarding keypad sequences that are hard to remember can be an irritation, but they can be learned.

I can't comment on the clock speed of the units, but I don't own a weapon that can shoot a projectile over 4,500 fps so I'm not interested in spending more money for 7K. Besides, for the limited times I've used my Chrony, a $120 investment was more than adequate. But for others, a $200 investment may be a better value, especially if they use their chronograph more frequently than I do.

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

OP asked what was the best.