close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chrono'd some Georgia Arms +P+ .40

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Jul 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ABNAK

ABNAK

I've had it for quite a while. From 1998 according to the stamp on the back of the bag. I know there is no such thing as +P .40, let alone +P+. Just really hot ammo. I've fired some years ago from a Kahr K-40 (steel frame gun) and then put it in my safe until today. I realize these are not for continuous use, but as a load for SD it oughta work okay.

I bought a Kel Tec Sub2000 yesterday (16" barrel) and figured a carbine-length barrel would be a good platform for these.

I only have ~25 left so after a few for function I only fired 3 across the chrono. Keep in mind this is from a 16" barrel, 155gr Gold Dot, .40 cal +P+:

1543fps
    1572fps
    1587fps
    Avg 1567fps :wow:

Dug out an old(er) reloading manual with a ballistics section and it should still be doing ~1050fps at 150yds and the drop is ~16 inches at that range.

2. gatorboy

gatorboy

I shot some of that the other day in my 23. Like you, I bought it years ago and decided if I needed a 1300 + fps 155 I'd let them fly from my 10mm's. Holy crap that stuff is hot! Hotter than I remember but I'll get some more because I'm getting a Sub 2k in .40 also now that those 22 rd. mags have come out. The perfect load for them, can't wait to anchor a fat hog with that setup. I shoot NATO +P and +P+ only from my 9mm Sub 2k, the extra pressure does work well in the 16" tube.

3. ABNAK

ABNAK

Good luck; Georgia Arms said they haven't had the +P+ .40 load for nearly two years. :crying:

Have you chrono'd any of the hot 9mm loads from your Sub2000?

If they made a Sub2000 in .357Sig that would be awesome.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Considering there is no such SAAMI spec, I would be very cautious about shooting that in my guns. Seeing as the 40s&w is probably the most KB round going, better you than me.

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

I have my doubts about it in a handgun, but have you ever cocked a Sub2000? Stout, very stout. In a limited usage scenario (like I don't have many more) I'll take my chances.

ETA---FWIW, no bulging on the fired cases or flattened primers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. gatorboy

gatorboy

Damn, wish I had saved them now! I chronod' some NATO 95 gr. and it averaged 1620. I've seen results showing Speer 155 GD averaging 1525 from a Sub 2K.

I had an idea about that 357 sig conversion that I will know for certain if it's doable when I get my .40 Sub 2K. Simply taking the front off a 9mm, reaming the chamber to 357 sig and bolting it on to the back of a .40 should, as I see it, work perfectly. If it does, I'll be getting another 9mm also because I'd like to play with that one.

7. ABNAK

ABNAK

Was actually thinking about that myself. Please, keep me informed.