Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I am using a pact MKIV chrono, and my #'s are way below, what is advertised by manufactures. Any Ideas will help. How much does the cold effect the #'s the temps today were in the upper 40's

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Some powders are more affected by temp than others and barrel length will also impact velocity compared to factory ammo. Most factory ammo velocities are overstated. Double Tap being the most overstated. in addition the distance away your chrono from firing vs have an effect.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Is Double Tap doing anything to fix their reputation? They used to be the best out there and now they've gone down hill. What does McNett say about it? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Is Double Tap doing anything to fix their reputation? They used to be the best out there and now they've gone down hill. What does McNett say about it? Anyone know?
They still make a decent mid velocity bullet but my experience with the 10mm ammo is the
velocity is over stated by 100 ft/ sec thru my Glock 10 mms. I have chronoed about 200 rounds of different lots over the past 2 years and they do not come close to the published velocities. The way they switched bullets using Montana Golds which is a trarget bullet vs a PD BULLET like the Golden saber and never told their customers was sleazy. Not much from McNett here on GT for quiet a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the #'s yesterday, for the DT 200 gr were, an average of 1017.9 fps, advertised is 1250 out of a 4.6 inch barrel. that was with a wolff spring. distance from screens was what is advertised, 84 inches. the closest to being avertised vol. was the hornady 180 gr average was 1105.1 and they say it should be 1180fps

·
Not an Expert!
870 Posts
the #'s yesterday, for the DT 200 gr were, an average of 1017.9 fps, advertised is 1250 out of a 4.6 inch barrel. that was with a wolff spring. distance from screens was what is advertised, 84 inches. the closest to being avertised vol. was the hornady 180 gr average was 1105.1 and they say it should be 1180fps
Not bad, that's better than what I thought the fps would be. Have you ever tested the 230?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I occasionally verify the accuracy of my chrono with some combination of gun/ammo that has been previously well established. Just have to remember to bring those components along to the range in addition to whatever I wanted to test in the first place.

Another method is by getting someone else to pack their chrono that day, and compare the readings.

All that said, I've found way more exaggeration than understatement from published ammo company propaga--uh, figures.

One outfit that I've never caught in a 'fib' is CorBon, and that's over a long period of years, shooting several of their offerings. A good friend has found this to be the case also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the next, thing I am going to do, try a different chrono. Although I called DT and spoke to Robert, he was very helpful, and I am going to do some more testing, we will see if there are any changes in the results.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
the 10mm that is within velocity claims is usually mid powered stuff like Corbon and Hornandy.

DT velocity claims lead you to believe they are full power but except for their testing, all the videoed and available for us to look at testing shows it to be mid powered at best.

Buffalo Bore seems to be the real deal from what ive seen, but i cant afford $1.25 per round of ammo.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Swamp Fox! Swamp Fox! Swamp Fox!

No, really. That's what I carry in my G.20 'cause it's basically the most powerful 'brand' ammo I can get my hands on without rolling my own, and even if I did roll my own, I couldn't go any farther than they do without risking a kB! in my stock pistol.

They even offer some really really hot stuff for fully supported chambers.

So it's more like a rent-a-loader. Something you would do yourself except somebody does it for you, and stands behind the product. I like that.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
ive been reading some good things about Swamp Fox and them making true 10mm ammo at an affordable price.....

how long have they been on the public market selling ammo? my only concern with a new company is the here today, gone tomorrow outfits......they get sued once for some mistake they made and youre left wondering about your stock that youve already gotten from a defunted company......not saying SF is like that, just dont know if theyve established themselves as a full time long term player yet....

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
not that ive read or heard about.....they put out the bait, got some dolts who blindly follow them like a cult, drinking the Kool-aid and bad mouthing all others.

i for one am let down from what ive seen on you tube with DT ammo.

i have a few hundred rounds of DT in my stash and shot a few hundred in the past.....it "feels" faster, snappier, more powerfull than the win sthp, hornady, federal.....but those others arent full power to begain with so it doesnt take much to out do them.

peer review is the true measure of sucess....if they nay sayers cant poke holes in your case, it stands on its own merit instead of hype....

you tube has opened my eyes to the ammo makers claims. before that the win sthp was my go to round in 10mm, but ive since been elightened.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Swamp Fox has been commercially selling his product for 2 years now (though he's been loading ammo for over 25 years) with a lot of success, from what I can tell. I started buying his ammo after reading a lot of good reviews on these and other forums and so far I've been very very satisfied. The stuff is very accurate and you can really tell you're shooting something powerful.

Now I haven't had the chance to go to the range for a few weeks now but next time I'm there I'm gonna shoot some of his 180gr. GDHP's into water jugs and see how they behave.

Though I'm probably gonna switch from carrying the Silvertips to his XTP's for SD in my G.20. Haven't decided on the weight yet but I think they're a much better bullet in terms of reliability and penetration. Man I wish I had more money, haha!

Also, the guy stands behind his product 100%. Very honest guy. Great to do business with and there's a lot of people out there who can vouch for this.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
there is another thread on here when the SF 200gr. 10mm round is in question regarding a "ka-boom". says jury is still out from SF and glock.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Yeah I just got done reading about it. There's another one where CanyonMan's gun blew up shooting factory Winchester Silvertips.. his theory is that the barrel might've had a hairline fracture from previous abuse.

I wouldn't worry about it. I know for a fact that in order to be 100% safe from a kaboom, the only thing you can do is to not shoot at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts