Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Without them saying what the material is and how it was built, I'd take a pass. I'd want something that explicitly said it was machined from a forged tool steel billet, or similar.

Edit: This may be more what you're looking for. Machined from stainless steel billet.

· Come on man!!
20,420 Posts
I shot and competed with Glocks for years and I've never had a Glock extractor break. Not all MIM parts are created equal and lots of companies make quality MIM parts.

MIM parts are everywhere, airplanes, cars, motorcycles. If you really hate MIM you better grow some wings.

· Premium Member
6,022 Posts
I shot and competed with Glocks for years and I've never had a Glock extractor break. Not all MIM parts are created equal and lots of companies make quality MIM parts.

MIM parts are everywhere, airplanes, cars, motorcycles. If you really hate MIM you better grow some wings.
Agreed. Well made MIM is used in some of the most challenging applications, like aircraft turbine parts. It can be done well, or poorly, but quality MIM is nothing to be feared, and for some use cases can be superior. Some of the high quality knive blades are MIM because it allows for better material uniformity.

Glock extractors are not a part one hears of many failures. I trust Glock's design. The third party part brings more questions to my mind that the OEM version, but it may be better/similar. Good luck!

· Semper Paratus
31,757 Posts
Any opinions whether this extractor is stronger then the glock OEM (MIM) extractor. Thanks

you don't want a slippery finish on a part designed to grab and hold this is really a stupid part.
same reason TEIR one manufacturers don't put slippery coatings on AR15 extractors.
when you "polish " 1911 extractors it's done to slip over the rim because of the design, the hook and claw portions should not be slippery , nor coated with slippery coatings .

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. Well made MIM is used in some of the most challenging applications, like aircraft turbine parts. It can be done well, or poorly, but quality MIM is nothing to be feared, and for some use cases can be superior. Some of the high quality knive blades are MIM because it allows for better material uniformity.

Glock extractors are not a part one hears of many failures. I trust Glock's design. The third party part brings more questions to my mind that the OEM version, but it may be better/similar. Good luck!
Must have been only mine that went once :(

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you don't want a slippery finish on a part designed to grab and hold this is really a stupid part.
same reason TEIR one manufacturers don't put slippery coatings on AR15 extractors.
when you "polish " 1911 extractors it's done to slip over the rim because of the design, the hook and claw portions should not be slippery , nor coated with slippery coatings .
Agree. As i tried out the Alphawolf G20 polished stainless steel extractor and had too many issues ... during experiment phase. So never left OEM. Glock sent me a new extractor. But in the back of mind it is always a worry:

· MacGyver
11,126 Posts
Whether you did or not:
Don't insert rounds directly into the chamber and close the slide.....without stripping off the top of the magazine.

Otherwise you won the lottery, as there is not a alarming ratio of users complaining on this forum about broken extractors.

· On the Border
17,499 Posts
I don't think catastrophic failure is much of a concern with OE extractors. In my experience, the only reason to use an alternate is for better reliability of function.

My total rounds on Glocks are probably about 50/50 between OE and Apex. I've broken one Apex, and no OE's. Functionality of the Apex is better, especially with lighter power.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whether you did or not:
Don't insert rounds directly into the chamber and close the slide.....without stripping off the top of the magazine.

Otherwise you won the lottery, as there is not a alarming ratio of users complaining on this forum about broken extractors.
Hey dude: NEVER EVER.. I am aware of that. If you look at the pictures it broke from the back side not the claw front.

· Registered
G19.5, G20.4, GP100, SP101, SBH, Mini 14. ARs. CZ clones.
647 Posts
Any opinions whether this extractor is stronger then the glock OEM (MIM) extractor. Thanks

I think it’s stronger “than”.
But why does the factory extractor need replacing to begin with?

· MacGyver
11,126 Posts
My lottery comment is suggestion that this happened out of sheer bad luck, and the chances of occurring again is low. The chances would be higher with an unknown, more brittle (harder) alloy, sold by a company that only sells a fraction of the number of extractors that Glock installs.

· Registered
Glock G45
7 Posts
Having spent my carrier in aerospace, I will say chrome plating was found to be a problem, and is generally no longer allowed in aerospace. Specifically, the chrome plating process induces "hydrogen embrittlement" in the underlying steel. This causes the steel to crack when it would not otherwise have done so. My recommendation is to avoid chrome plating for any part that is subject to stress. To increase the "looks" of other parts is fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts