Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an add for a new TKD/judo,etc. place opening with this theme. I've studied both in the past and can't see the connection. HH

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
When I was heavy into martial arts, I knew a guy who taught "Christian Martial Arts".

It was his own system, called "Pneuma" (Yes, exactly. "Air".).

The gimmick, it appeared, was that he recruited students from his church.

He had very small children playing very dangerous games, all in the name of Jesus Christ (and air).

·
Unfair Facist
26,963 Posts
Saw an add for a new TKD/judo,etc. place opening with this theme. I've studied both in the past and can't see the connection. HH
Their Golden Rule,

"do unto others as they would do unto you, but do it first."

:rofl:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's basically the same martial arts with the eastern philosophy removed and replaced with "christian" themes. It is geared toward parents who have an irrational fear of their children learning anything other than "christian" values, no matter what. Basically just a marketing ploy.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Didn't the Apostles carry swords?

If one religion can carry blades, why can't another?

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Didn't the Apostles carry swords?

If one religion can carry blades, why can't another?

I've studied martial arts all my adult life. Japanese. Aikido, Judo, and Jodo (aka "Jyodo"). All Japanese styles. Zero religion involved.

As stated above, "Christian" martial arts training is just a gimmick to get the ultra-religious to pay one to teach their children self defense.

Nothing wrong with any religion, just don't play it off as though the religion and the art are "one and the same". They're not.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
A rather religious buddy of mine, who is also a big MMA fan, has convinced himself that during the missing years of Christ's life from the bible, Jesus traveled to the far east learning philosophy and martial arts. I wonder if he got the concept from something like this?

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
A rather religious buddy of mine, who is also a big MMA fan, has convinced himself that during the missing years of Christ's life from the bible, Jesus traveled to the far east learning philosophy and martial arts. I wonder if he got the concept from something like this?
There's actually a (very funny) novel written on that premise entitled Lamb, by Christopher Moore.

·
> OD Glock 32
4,431 Posts
Their Golden Rule,

"do unto others as they would do unto you, but do it first."

:rofl:
:animlol: That's fantastic!!

OP, was it Christian-run like Chik-Fil-A is? Kinda a "we're cleaner/more responsible" deal or "Here is how Jesus really made that blind guy see..." [judo chop to back of neck] :faint: ??

Guess it may not have been easy to attain this knowledge from a sign. Judo and TKD go way way back but I know of no Christian connection involved.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, is the eastern philosophy simply removed or removed and replaced with something else? HH

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I've studied martial arts all my adult life. Japanese. Aikido, Judo, and Jodo (aka "Jyodo"). All Japanese styles. Zero religion involved...Nothing wrong with any religion, just don't play it off as though the religion and the art are "one and the same". They're not.
Historically speaking is there no connection between Japanese martial arts and religion? Everything I have read indicates that the roots of the JMA traditions were very spiritual. As I type that I realize there is a difference between religious and spiritual, but isn't there some relation?
There's actually a (very funny) novel written on that premise entitled Lamb, by Christopher Moore.
Interesting. I will have to ask him if he has read that book.

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
Historically speaking is there no connection between Japanese martial arts and religion? Everything I have read indicates that the roots of the JMA traditions had very spiritual roots. As I type that I realize there is a difference between religious and spiritual, but is there some relation?
Zen Buddhism and the Japanese martial arts have a long history together.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Zen Buddhism and the Japanese martial arts have a long history together.
That's what I recall reading. I was fairly certain there was some connection.

:rofl: I always get a "kick" out of that play on words. I know this will sound like a stupid question from a stupid person, but seriously I have read about ancient Egyptian MA's. Are there any Jewish MA's? or MA's that are culturally practiced by Jews?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
hmm. don't believe i've ever read about martial arts in the bible... interesting.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts