close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chris Kyle murdered

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by s&wfan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"to characterize someone who has suffered from PTSD as mentally unstable or even mentally ill demonstrates ignorance of the condition."

Has suffered or is currently diagnosed? A current PTSD diagnosis is taken from the DSM-IV - soon to be DSM-V in a few months - the APA handbook of mental illnesses. It's been listed since 1980.

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/Diagnositics.htm

www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/PTSD%20CBT%20TX/PTSD/Pages/DSMPTSD.htm

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The "glorificiation of war" is less now than ever in the history of the world and less here than in most of the world. War is the driving force of civilization and the the central theme of human history. I am not against it.

3. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

The APA and the DSM have no credibility since 1972...

4. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...s-kyle-investigation-20130203,0,4541295.story

“We’re such a small brotherhood that when something happens to anybody here or overseas, word travels fast,” Denver told The Times on Sunday.

Denver said the news was “really hard to believe,” and he called Kyle “one of our real champions and battle stars.”

For Denver, one of the toughest parts to believe was that Kyle was “not only killed, but on a range with someone he was trying to help, another veteran.”

“I knew Chris had been working with other veterans, folks with PTSD, trying to help them get better,” Denver said. "It’s hard to stomach that someone he was trying to help would turn on him.”

Denver said that during the last day, he has fielded questions from civilians who can’t understand why Kyle would have taken someone with PTSD to a shooting range — but as a veteran, he understands.

“That type of shooting can actually be cathartic, calming,” he said, “letting your heart settle,” particularly for veterans who have just returned home after being accustomed to carrying weapons.

5. kyglockshooter

kyglockshooter

Chris may you RIP - we will carry on the fight to educated the uneducated.
    Many prayers for your family

LT USN (Ret)

6. jkloeker

jkloeker

7. klampton317

klampton317

Chris Kyle was awesome. The world is a lesser place because he is gone.

I dont know anything about PTSD. With that being said, I dont think it had a whole lot to do with what happened.

Personally, I think the sick ****** just wanted to bag a "big fish." In a twisted persons mind, what would be better than killing a legendary SEAL sniper? It would certainly give you notoriety. Everyone remembers who killed Billy the Kid and Jesse James (loose analogy but you get it).

Sorry, but a person doesn't shoot two people in the back, flee the scene in the dead mans truck and attempt to allude/hide from the police for 4 hours MERELY because of PTSD.

8. Pokapotato

Pokapotato

I read Chirs' book and was so impressed by Him and His Counterparts. I am truely saddened to hear of his murder. He is a good man, a champion of conservative ideals, a warrior, a friend to those in anguish and he will be missed sorely I am sure. Thank You Chris for making my life better in many ways. God bless those close to him who are mourning.

9. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818

He was just in "Soldier Of Fortune", back cover & all, with his LaRue!

RIP / Semper Fi!

10. Armedleprechaun

Armedleprechaun

This!

11. Armedleprechaun

Armedleprechaun

You should be dropped off in the middle of the Agahn mountains, with nothing but the clothes on your back... Go play in traffic.

12. LawScholar

LawScholar

Keep reading

13. cookj

cookj

Godspeed. Prayers for his family.

14. F_G

F_G

Read his second post before you go off half cocked.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  15. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"The APA and the DSM have no credibility since 1972..."

They do in the real world. They are all there is when is comes to diagnosing, coding and paying for treatment. But you can go ahead and believe whatever you like.

16. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"Sorry, but a person doesn't shoot two people in the back, flee the scene in the dead mans truck and attempt to allude/hide from the police for 4 hours MERELY because of PTSD."

Speaking generally, without knowing the specifics of Routh's past treatment, I tend to agree with you.

There's an article on CNN this morning that says Routh was in and out of VA facilities for 2 years for treatment for mental illness. It doesn't say what kind of mental illness, but I can't recall ever working with a vet with PTSD who spent that much time receiving inpatient treatment.

John

17. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

I'm not sure which comment was more inappropriate. Moeman's before he clarified, or yours (for this thread)

18. Beware Owner

They became politicized in the real world, allowing political pressure to tell them who is sick and who isn't, despite all their previous knowledge. They have no credibility.

19. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"They have no credibility."

You can say that over and over again, but it does not make it true. Does the field change and grow? Certainly. The DSM-V is due for release this May iirc. Will some folks be unhappy with parts of it? Sure. It's still all there is.

John

20. Beware Owner

It's true whether I say it or not. People will go with the institution but it's largely a joke.