CHP Officer shot, possibly Friendly Fire!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Trigger Finger, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

2. use2b6L32

use2b6L32

WTF...

Can't
    Handle
    Pistols

3. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

As much as I wanted to hack on the chippies... he's still a brother officer who's hurt... but they do have silly uniforms... and it's more appropriately:

Can't
    Handle
    POLICEWORK

4. CAcop

CAcop

Poor bastards. The last time those Chippies handled a 211 they probably were in the academy.

5. Morris

Morris CLM

Good on them for jumping in. But friendly fire isn't.

One other thing: take-over style robberies are one of the major reasons why so many of our former 24 hour drug stores like Walgreens no long stay open past 9pm.

6. CW Mock

CW Mock

Two ChiPs in one car? I don't know how they roll, but out here, the only time there are regularly two Troopers in a car (I know ChiPs are "Officers") is when one is in FTO.

Wonder if this is the case here?

Sorry to see he's hurt, and hope he recovers quickly. I'm glad they jumped in, even if its not their usual venue. They did what cops are supposed to do, go after bad guys.

7. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

IIRC, CHP Officers double up on the late shift.

8. socalchuckster

socalchuckster

Usually after midnight the Chippies double up in two man cars. I dunno if it's their version of officer safety or just so they always have a backing officer with them.

9. CW Mock

CW Mock

Hmm, must be nice. We don't have the manpower or agency mindset for partners.

10. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

In high crime areas of California all CHP officers, except supervisors, ride two to a car at night! This is from the Saugus Newhall shooting in SoCal in 1972 or 1973, where four CHP officers were killed by two psychos. All of the CHP officers were one to a car back then! LAPD run two deep 98% of the time for officer safety.

My mistake I meant to say 1972 or 1973. I changed it. Turns out it occurred in 1970. Thanks OLY-M4gery.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  11. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Ummm . . . . when was the last time either of you got into a gunfight near another officer with a masked bad guy shooting at you - with all of you moving around in a dynamic situation . . . . at night? I'll wait on your expertise. If not, I might go back and consider editing my post. One of your fellow officers got shot, is in critical condition, and you're **** talking them on an open forum. If I were a mod I would be telling you to un**** yourselves.

12. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newhall_massacre

13. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

I have been involved in ONE shooting. But the point is that we only learn by being critical of the situation and not repeating the mistakes, and mistakes were made. We all feel for the officer just as if a brother or sister were injured but not to talk about it would minimize and degrade the situation.
    Perhaps you are not used to cop humor or just don't like it! :dunno:

14. CW Mock

CW Mock

I'm sure he understands it, he pushes a radiator in a blue suit like a lot of us. Doesn't mean that he can't call a crass and tasteless statement for what it is, from another cop or not. Analyzing it is one thing, make snarky comments about their agency is another. I didn't see a whole lot of trash talked about Oakland PD or Lakewood PD in here by anyone when that all went down.

Running two deep at night seems like a good idea, even if its so the two officers can keep each other awake and alert. Where I work, I rarely have any kind of immediate backup, so having a partner would be priceless. I doubt we ever will though - we don't have the manpower, or the money to hire more people, and the state as a whole is pretty anti-LE, or at least apathetic. I think some of the cities here might run two to a car though, but I am not sure. Nobody in my area does, unless its a trainee.

15. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Are you ****ing joking, or are you trying to defend what they said here?

So go ahead and tell us how your shooting was like this one, and how it rates us **** talking these guys.

Sorry. This MMQB **** belongs in GNG, not here. I don't see anyone posting for sure what happened, but a cop has been shot, is in critical condition, and we're **** talking each other. ****ing nice. Maybe when you get into a **** sandwich like this and things go wrong and you are staying awake wondering if your rounds hit your partner, fellow cops will be trash talking you on the internet.

Did people **** talk you on the internet after your shooting, and if not, how would you feel if they did?

You're wrong. Cut this **** out.

16. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Without going into detail, my shooting was an ambush situation at night, that's about the only thing similar. And it was before the internet was popular. But I don't think it would have bothered me all that much. I can see where you are coming from and I said nothing negative about the California Highway Patrol! As to what actually happened, I posted the news article when I started this thread and I am not aware of anything new.
    Perhaps there was a little too much joking around or portraying an attitude of non-caring but I did not get that feeling! I did not mean to offend!!

Oh, and dude you are kind of wearing out the star button on your keyboard!
    ****ing *****you cheese**** dumb*******. j/k

17. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

This piece of **** put the *******ed stars in by its ****ing self ***** **** **** *** **** piss **** ****.

Didn't hit the star once.

And you didn't offend really - the ones **** talking the CHP did. And I even like the guys who posted this crap. They just need to un**** themselves on this topic.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Don't chippies in your neck of the woods act as State Police for small towns that have neither a PD or Sheriff?

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Perhaps you missed my statement...

"he's still a brother officer who's hurt"

I was trying to correct UserB, but in any event, you're right... there's no excuse that can justify it but there is a reason why it was done. You not being a California cop wouldn't get why some (or most) local cops and chippies don't quite get along as well as other state's troopers and their local officers. Again, not saying it's right, but there's a reason why it goes on in this state.

For the record, I have not been in that type of situation, but I think my actions speak louder than words when I tell you that I've never hesitated to back up a chippie that I see engaged in traffic stops on local streets.

I always see chippies alone on a t-stop in my jurisdiction because the section of freeway near us doesn't have nice shoulders for them to stop on the freeway so they pull off to surface streets. I will always pull up behind them to give them a back. If they wave me off, that's on them, but I will do it without fail.

My personal feelings and experiences aside, when it comes to officer safety and helping out another officer, I won't think twice even when it involves chippies.

20. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Man! Look what happened the last time I backed up a CHPPIE!
    Holy crap, I think the suspects name was something like Rodney King. They never really got over that. No sense of humor. :whistling: