close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

chopper kits - anyone done one?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 97guns, Jul 1, 2006.

1. 97guns

97guns

im getting to the age where i want to spend a few bucks and live a little so im looking to buy a chopper kit and put it together. anyone done it before? i just bought a book "how to assemble a chopper kt" from ebay and will look through it before i make any radical decisions. im looking at a custom chrome hardcore II kit for right around $13,000, i figure that i should at least be able to get my money back out of it if its something that i dont enjoy but i dont see how riding something abnoxiously loud could be anything but fun.

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I wouldn't mind building the V from Custom Chrome. It's the street fighter kit. Have you ever ridden before? If not, a chopper may not be the best bike to learn on.

That said, I think you would have a great time building one of the kits. If the kit costs $13,000, you'll need to factor in another couple grand for paint and powdercoat, plus any tools that you don't already have. I think the CCI kits come with a video now, which would be very helpful, but from what I understand it's not just a simple bolt-together job. Some parts may need modification in order to fit correctly. Good luck, and when you get it going we'd love to see pictures.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've done three Custom Chrome Hardcore II kits. Lot's of fun but not a weekend job. You need to completely assemble, test for fit, and disassemble the whole bike before painting since you don't want to test fit painted parts. You will not get what you put into it in resale since "choppers" have no blue book support. Even Big Dogs have crappy resale. Finally, good luck getting comprehensive insurance for a bike with no established lines. Built mine for fun, not resale and kept my fingers crossed that none was stolen since I couldn't get insurance for them.

4. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

Kit bikes are okay if that's you're thing, but don't go fooling yourself... there's nothing "chopper" about them... any-of-them. That goes for the big names dropping the word "chopper" after their names, or whatever, as well. Production bikes are production bikes, whether someone else turns the bolts on it or you do. Choppers, well, ain't production bikes.

5. 97guns

97guns

the chopper is now on the back burner on very low heat, i found something else to dump some hobby money into. yesterday i picked up my pretty clean '71 chevy truck. ive wanted a hotrod since i was forced to sell off my '69 camaro when i was 20. i originally wanted a '70 shortbed for the year i was born but after seeing this truck in the condition it was in i had to have it. ive been looking on and off for a truck for about 6 or 7 years and have seen alot of rustbuckets that were described as nice. its got the 350/350 setup and is lowered a little on rally rims. the body is straight with no rust. the only complaint i have so far is that im not used to the guzzling of the gas on this monster, i just drove it about 10-15 miles so far and i actually saw the gas gauge going down, im not relying on it as a daily driver so it wont affect me too much. any idea how many miles to the gallon i will get with this, im thinking less than 10 maybee around 6 or 8 if im lucky...... i paid $4500 for it and this one is going to the grave with me