Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a buddy who's got a Gen4 G35 chopped to G23 length on the handle. I love the way of looks and handles! It also has the "HK Kut" on the mag well.... I'm sooooo thinking about cutting a G17 Gen4 I bought used down to a A G19 grip like his.... I don't want to cut my FDE Gen4 G34 or Gen4 G35... Take a look at these pics.... He's got a KKM .357sig barrel in it! I WANT ONE OF THESE BARRELS!

View attachment 235696
View attachment 235697
View attachment 235698
View attachment 235699

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
755 Posts
I love these. I would definitely carry a g35 normally but I can't wait to find one cheap enough to justify the chop on a gen 4. If you do end up doing I'd consult your friend, he did a great job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been thinking about a G19 cut to G26 mags, then I started thinking maby a G32 cut down and convert it to 9mm for range time, but carry it as a .357, of course a Gen 3 in OD would be the ticket as long as im dreaming...

I've never had a problem carrying the G19 barrel length, it's always the grip that prints, and a compact cut to a sub looks like a good handling addition to the herd.

·
NRA Life Member
67,116 Posts
I've got a buddy who's got a Gen4 G35 chopped to G23 length on the handle.
That may be the dumbest Glock modification I can imagine.:upeyes:

Why not just get a Glock 23? Same length grip as the conversion and a shorter slide. If you think the long slide is some sort of benefit for a self-devfense gun, you need to get some more experience as a shooter before you start chopping up guns.

Save yourself some ridicule and the loss of all the value of your gun and just trade for a real Glock.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Why not just get a Glock 23? Same length grip as the conversion and a shorter slide. If you think the long slide is some sort of benefit for a self-devfense gun, you need to get some more experience as a shooter before you start chopping up guns.

Save yourself some ridicule and the loss of all the value of your gun and just trade for a real Glock.
I have 2 Gen4 G23's and a G22.... I just think it's kinda a cool concept.... You gain a benefit of ballistics front the longer barrel and a big of reduced capacity. However, I don't the the logic of chopping a G19/G23 down to a G26/27.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 2 Gen4 G23's and a G22.... I just think it's kinda a cool concept.... You gain a benefit of ballistics front the longer barrel and a big of reduced capacity. However, I don't the the logic of chopping a G19/G23 down to a G26/27.....
For me the only issues are the grip printing and the feel of the 26's backstrap. My 19 has moved to carry rotation, and since it's t-shirt and shorts weather I feel that the butt sticks out at every movement, but I really prefer the grip feel the 19 has over a 26.

So I was thinking shorting the 19 grip to the length of the 26 would solve two issues.

I guess reshaping a 26 would get the job done, but the 19's barrel length is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I've long wanted to chop a G19 down to a G26 sized grip frame....

I like the longer G19 barrel, but for me, the grip frame is what makes concealment more difficult....

Don't know why some have chimed in with such negative comments.......guess that is how some like to go through life?

To the OP....although your friend's long slide wouldn't work for ME as a concealment gun....I do like how well the work turned out!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Do what ever makes you happy!!!!
I wont be happy till I get a .22 cal AR with a bump stock.

:snoopy:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Go for it! Even if you wind up hating the result, you'll have less than a grand into it, and you'll still have some resale value.

·
Registered
703 Posts

You call it "dumb". Others call it "doing whatever the hell I want with my own s*** 'cause it works for me".

No, dumb is calling other people's s*** that works fine for them, is fully functional, and looks great (see pics provided by op) dumb.

Not trying to make trouble here, it's just super irritating when people call other people "dumb" for something like this.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you want to chop the "handle", by all means go for it. Buy a perfectly good pistol and bubbah it up a little, seems to be the norm for a lot of people.
Don't take it personally.

·
NRA Life Member
5,390 Posts
Chopped a G19 to G26 grip length, and I'll do my G23 when I get a shop setup again.

Best carry pistol I own.

Longer barrel with shorter grip - Easier to conceal, more stable on a belt (less ammo means less movement), decent site radius...

That lighter grip does lend stability to the carry package. Very comfortable without the holster moving and pinching you at times. This will help reduce the 'tells' that can tell on concealed carriers...

Shorter gripped pistols are known to hide easier, so it's a win / win deal in my mind.

I honestly don't know why Glock hasn't started producing a "Concealed Carry" pistol pack like Dan Wesson did decades ago...

I say SCRATCH THAT ITCH - You will be glad you did!

·
I Support Israel
606 Posts
I would consider a 19 to 26 length conversion, but the 26 works for me as is.

If you like it go for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is a very good chop job. Very clean.

Much like many Glock mod's, this one has been around a very long time, yet you still hear from people here who act as if it was just invented (apparently by some guy who decided to hack away at his Glock after a few too many).

The poster that claimed that the op should save himself from "ridicule" is off the mark. If he thinks it's rediculous, he shouldn't chop any of his Glocks. Many people find the mod' usefull, and when done well, you can't even tell its been chopped (aside from the obvious size difference).

·
Ruggedly handsome
24,042 Posts
It's your gun you can do with it as you please, I would get your friend to do it for you he did a good quality job on the one in the original post.

·
transmogrifier
12,508 Posts
Stupid? "Stupid is as stupid..."

My first Glock was a G17 that had about 1,000,000 rounds through it when I purchased it.
I was still in my 1911 infatuation phase and wasn't sure I wanted a Glock.

My hands are little-girl tiny and Glocks did not feel right to me at all, but I was intrigued by the Glock concept and this well-used G17 was available to me in a private sale for a great price.

I now have other Glocks and haven't shot the G17 in almost 5 years.
I have a G19, which didn't feel quite right until I used a candle to flatten the backstrap hump a bit. Now it fits me like it was custom-made for me.
I also have at least 25 G19 magazines, compared to 5 G17 mags..

So if I chopped the G17 grip to G19 length, it would accomplish two things..
It would reduce the grip a bit (the hump would be chopped off) and it would enable me to use those G19 mags in the G17.

I couldn't possibly care less about reduction in the resale value of the G17..
If I chopped it then I would refurbish it with fresh internals and keep it for the remainder of my days.

If I had time to do this, I'd probably have already done so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stupid? "Stupid is as stupid..."

My first Glock was a G17 that had about 1,000,000 rounds through it when I purchased it.
I was still in my 1911 infatuation phase and wasn't sure I wanted a Glock.

My hands are little-girl tiny and Glocks did not feel right to me at all, but I was intrigued by the Glock concept and this well-used G17 was available to me in a private sale for a great price.

I now have other Glocks and haven't shot the G17 in almost 5 years.
I have a G19, which didn't feel quite right until I used a candle to flatten the backstrap hump a bit. Now it fits me like it was custom-made for me.
I also have at least 25 G19 magazines, compared to 5 G17 mags..

So if I chopped the G17 grip to G19 length, it would accomplish two things..
It would reduce the grip a bit (the hump would be chopped off) and it would enable me to use those G19 mags in the G17.

I couldn't possibly care less about reduction in the resale value of the G17..
If I chopped it then I would refurbish it with fresh internals and keep it for the remainder of my days.

If I had time to do this, I'd probably have already done so.

But Bren says it's "dumb".. and, that you'll be "ridiculed" :dunno:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Don't take it personally.
It seems you may have a difficult time with reading comprehension. There was absolutely nothing personal, nor was there any sort of personal reference made in my post.

If you like to butcher your firearms in your parents basement, that's fine. No need to get upset about it. Like I said before, it seems to be the norm lately and not just with pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 38 Posts