Chopped glock modified back to normal

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chopped Glock, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

In 2005 I chopped my glock 19 to a glock 26 grip length. Although more common these days, not that many people were doing this modification back in those days. The glock was a gen 2 from 1989 and I was able to do the chop and keep it fairly original:
    [​IMG]

happie2shoot likes this.
  2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Looks clean nice work...

Current Resident likes this.

3. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

More recently, after moving to AIWB carry position, I found that I could comfortably carry larger size guns, and wanted my full length glock 19 back. I've had that particular gun for 27 years, I decided to try and mod my gun back to original instead of purchasing another unmodified glock 19.
    I could not find any examples of anyone who has lengthened their glock grips, so I thought that I would post this as information for anyone who need information on how to do this mod.
    Here is the same gun today. I am not sure whether to post the modification method in this forum or in the gunsmithing forum, or if there is any interest in seeing how this was done.
    [​IMG]

4. Gokyo

Gokyo

Looks great. Job, well done.

5. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

I am pretty happy with how this came out, and my next project is to try this mod on a glock 27.
    Thinking that a short barreled midsize grip glock might be just the ticket for my AIWB carry method being only 5"7" tall!LOL. Here is a photoshop image of the proposed project. Has anyone ever done this before? I haven't seen one.
    This would go beyond the usual glock 23 magazine and sleeve method and be an one piece extended grip length and look something like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

Here's one more example of some different mod techniques.
    This is my Glock 20 chopped to a glock 29 grip length. The stippling is done by Dremel instead of the usual solder iron melt method. I was able on the glock 19 project to almost duplicate the fine pebble finish on the glock 19 2 gen. This example of the Dremel stippling is a little more open, but feels really good in the hand. The grip was ground down to smooth removing the finger grooves and backstop serrations. This is with the chop, smoothed grip and Pearce extension.
    [​IMG]

7. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

And finally, I always felt the Glock 20 grip was too long in my hand, and the Glock 29 a little too short. So I modified a base plate on my glock 29 magazine so that I could come out with the ideal midsize glock 10mm. Now the grip length is the length of a glock 19 on the Glock 20 frame.
    [​IMG]

8. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

Well, those are certainly interesting ways to comply with your states 10 round mag thing...

Mike-M likes this.
  9. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

I do admire you for altering your pistols.
    I just can't bring myself to do that kind of stuff.
    I am afraid I'd screw it up.

10. bubbaloo

bubbaloo

Im very intrested on how you did this. I have a G27 i would love to extend the grip on.

11. TeaDub

TeaDub

Not my cup of tea. If you are happy with the result, that is what matters.

If I want a shorter grip, I carry my 26. If I prefer longer, the 19 is chosen. If I want a hybrid? I'd pick up an extended LW/KKM barrel and be done. I might even use a 19 mag with a sleeve on my 26. That is much less permanent.

I am lucky. I find the OEM frame lengths work well for me.

Overkill338 likes this.
  12. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I hate making permanent mods to a carry pistol. That why I have both a 26 and 19.

But to each his own.

(PS:Some of those photos looked shop'd to me.)

Overkill338 likes this.
  13. Mike-M

Mike-M

...as in the examples illustrated??? :)

Overkill338 likes this.
  14. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

Can you guys show me more of what you mean by appendix iwb carry? If it's what I'm thinking of, it feels like they are pressing on my federal artery in my leg when I'm trying to drive. That's why I carry at 4:00-4:30 iwb. Lately I just carry in a Blackhawk Serpa CQB anyway, and let a T shirt lightly drape over it. No one has ran screaming from any mall or grocery store yet, and the cops don't seem to mind.

15. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

For goodness sake, paint that rusty and pin or buy some stainless pins for it. That looks terrible, like you don't care if a salt water yeti craps on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Don't see the benefit of an extended barrel on a CCW without the extra slide length and sight radius. I guess you get a bit more velocity.

TeaDub likes this.
  17. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

You have done some great work, ignore the shallow minds that can't see
    the usefulness of your work.

Having been a full time gunsmith I have done similar work to many guns.

RACHIGER and Doc McGlock like this.
  18. Kladdagh

Kladdagh 9mm Kind of Guy

Great ... well done guys

19. Chopped Glock

Chopped Glock

Thanks, I got a lot of thread crapping over on another forum that wasn't glock friendly, so surprised to see this here. I'm showing this because there might be others that want to do the same, and I haven't found any example of them yet on the internet. I got the same flack years ago in 2005 when I did one of the early chops, and now it is a main stream mod.

Yes, in post #5 I stated:
    "Here is a photoshop image of the proposed project. Has anyone ever done this before? I haven't seen one."
    that's the only image that was photo shopped.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  20. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

I looooove the way my 17 to a 19 came out. It shoots like a friggin' dream too. :) :) :)

[​IMG]

Next up I'd like to try a 19 to a 26, figuring it should wind up close to this. I just place to buy a spare 19 frame from Glockmesiter though and whack it, as compared to buying another whole entire 19.

[​IMG]

A 21 to 30 is tempting for me also, but looks a little ungainly and unbalanced too to me, so I'm not so sure on that. I guess I'd have to be really bored after trying it on a 19 to 26 as above, or come across a 21 real cheap would be all........

[​IMG]

Current Resident likes this.