Glock Talk banner

Choosing an MOS

1239 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Bren
Hello all,

So I am currently having the problem of choosing the best Army career for me at the moment. I have a bachelors of social science and I have really been thinking about two things I want to do. My main objective is to serve, help people, and really just make a difference. I have been working through the process of putting my packet in for Warrant officer (Aviation), but I have also been thinking about pursuing PSYOP. My scores on the ASVAB were good and I passed everything at MEPS easily. If you have any recommendations, suggestions, or just advice on either of these two (or any other MOS's) I would so very much appreciate it.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
28,198 Posts
37F is a desk job and flying is not. No one cares about your GT score unless it's below 110 and MEPS isn't an indicator of anything other than you aren't currently broken or deformed.

You'll have to a do a better job of narrowing down your MOS than you already have if those are the only two options.

To do it all over again I'd opt for something that translates to the civilian world because you'll be one again and starting over from scratch sucks.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
So I am currently having the problem of choosing the best Army career for me at the moment. I have a bachelors of social science ...

... (or any other MOS's) I would so very much appreciate it.
With a 4 year degree you should see about being Commissioned Officer. Now with Aviation, do you have an aptitude for it?

Have you taken an aptitude test and see what you are strong in? Mine was Law Enforcement so I was a Military Policeman and later a civilian Lawman. What I will suggest is being a Paratrooper.

· Banned
28,198 Posts
With a 4 year degree you should see about being Commissioned Officer. Now with Aviation, do you have an aptitude for it?

Have you taken an aptitude test and see what you are strong in? Mine was Law Enforcement so I was a Military Policeman and later a civilian Lawman. What I will suggest is being a Paratrooper.

Conventional forces aren't jumping into combat anymore. WW2 is over ;) going to have to be in a Ranger Bat or SF to make use of those wings.

Reactions: baren

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I took the Naval Flight Aptitude test and did quite well on it. As for the ASVAB, I scored a 94 on the AFQT with a Gt of 131. I qualified for every job, but that didn’t help me narrow it down at all.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Conventional forces aren't jumping into combat anymore. WW2 is over ;) going to have to be in a Ranger Bat or SF to make use of those wings.
Wings will put you a leg up, no pun intended, for promotions even in the National Guard. Airborne School is also an item you can request for your reenlistment package for that reason. :drillsgt:

· Registered
8,591 Posts
I took the Naval Flight Aptitude test and did quite well on it. As for the ASVAB, I scored a 94 on the AFQT with a Gt of 131. I qualified for every job, but that didn’t help me narrow it down at all.
I like flying and the one thing that is a disqualifier is color blindness. Flying is a passion and the love of equipment and clouds or lack of. Bad weather sucks but sometimes you have no choice.

· Banned
28,198 Posts
Wings will put you a leg up, no pun intended, for promotions even in the National Guard. Airborne School is also an item you can request for your reenlistment package for that reason. :drillsgt:
When I was enlisted it was a points based system and you could easily be maxed out without any badges at all. I don't know how it works now but the only way it would help then is if you never deployed and had nothing else on your class A uniform to speak of.

· Psyop
32 Posts
37F is a desk job and flying is not. No one cares about your GT score unless it's below 110 and MEPS isn't an indicator of anything other than you aren't currently broken or deformed.

You'll have to a do a better job of narrowing down your MOS than you already have if those are the only two options.

To do it all over again I'd opt for something that translates to the civilian world because you'll be one again and starting over from scratch sucks.
37f is a desk job? Lol I ran a 3 man tactical psyop team in oef/oif. In 2007 alone we did over 70 missions attached to NSW team 5 (west coast seals) and team 10 (east coast) melted a 240 bravo barrel in fallujah thought it was crew serve weapon mounted on a hummer but it must have been connected to a desk lol. Tactical Psyop is not a desk job.

· Psyop
32 Posts
Hello all,

So I am currently having the problem of choosing the best Army career for me at the moment. I have a bachelors of social science and I have really been thinking about two things I want to do. My main objective is to serve, help people, and really just make a difference. I have been working through the process of putting my packet in for Warrant officer (Aviation), but I have also been thinking about pursuing PSYOP. My scores on the ASVAB were good and I passed everything at MEPS easily. If you have any recommendations, suggestions, or just advice on either of these two (or any other MOS's) I would so very much appreciate it.
I know it’s a bit late to reply but PSYOP is the best MOS in the military imho. You get the best schools. Rank comes quick. Your part of SOF. Dont have to shave in a combat zone lol. As a E-6 you plan your missions. A good Psyop team finds ways to make change with little bloodshed. persuade change and influence

· Registered
2,357 Posts
37F is a desk job and flying is not.
Au contraire.

I'd opt for something that translates to the civilian world because you'll be one again and starting over from scratch sucks.
Yeah, this. You sound pretty touchy-feely, and there's way too much of that crap in the Army as-is.

Try the Air Force, they're pretty sensitive,

· Registered
151 Posts
Look at the promotion rate up to E6 especially E6.
A lot of jobs top out at E5 and then takes forever to make E6 like 88M. Retention control they will discharge you if you don’t make rank in a certain time limit. Do your research before you pick your MOS .
UAV/Cyberwarfare/MP good areas to look at !
Current Administration will change along with its policies!

· NRA Life Member
75,785 Posts
So you all have been trying to help this guy pick an MOS for 2 years? I'll bet he's picked one by now, or decided not to enlist. Either way, he has clearly decided not to participate on Glock Talk any more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts