Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Which shotgun would you buy for trap shooting?

• Mossberg International Silver Reserve II Super Sport

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some research I have narrowed down my choices for a new trap shotgun to 3 options. The Mossberg International Silver Reserve II Super Sport, the Remington Model 1100 Classic Trap , and the SKB 90TSS Trap. Which one would you guys recommend?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wow, a shotgun is a very personal decision. Have you thrown up all three options? Which fits you best? Do you shoot trap now? Do any of your trap shooting friends have these guns you could try?

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
If you shoot a lot and practice a lot, the Remington 1100 ejecting shells may make retrieving hulls for reloading a bit more difficult. I was shooting 3 to 5 rounds of trap and skeet 3 times a week so reloading became a necessity. Also I think there is more maintenance involved as there are moving parts, seals, etc.

I don't know if the Mossberg is a trap grade gun. Usually trap guns have higher combs and ribs so that the clay pigeon is on top of the post as opposed to covered by it on a field gun. They are also built on heavier frames as a trap gun will shoot in a year what a field gun will shoot in a lifetime.

I personally used a Browning Citori Trap and BT99 that were back bored and Pro-ported for years with good result and went to a K-80, but in this case I would lean toward the SKB.

·
Registered
45,175 Posts
If you want an 1100...You've set up the perfect poll for it.

And chasing hulls is not a problem. Shell catchers are available everywhere.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’ve been shooting trap for 30 plus years.Shot everything from trap grade 870 pumps to Benelli autos to Browning over & unders SKB model 685 Competition with a 34 inch unisigle barrel and a 30 inch over under barrel set. I’ve shot this SKB for 15 years now probably around 10 k rounds a year with no problems ever. I would go with the SKB personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot everything but the Mossberg, and out of the SKB and Remington I preferred the SKB just because its an o/u. Most of the people I shoot trap with say "get the BT-99, it will last you forever and is one of the best trap guns ever made." Unfortunately I would like to be able to shoot skeet or trap doubles too, which is why i'm not really considering it. But I just wanted some more opinions before I buy.
Thanks,
Mike

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
I have shot everything but the Mossberg, and out of the SKB and Remington I preferred the SKB just because its an o/u. Most of the people I shoot trap with say "get the BT-99, it will last you forever and is one of the best trap guns ever made." Unfortunately I would like to be able to shoot skeet or trap doubles too, which is why i'm not really considering it. But I just wanted some more opinions before I buy.
Thanks,
Mike
Offer to clean one of each for somebody after they've shot it all day.

Get the O/U.

Reactions: ADKshooter

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well I've been trying to improve my very poor trap shooting skills with my trusty Remington 870 Magnum Express with a 19" barrel.

Two days ago I was at my LGS and he had a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays that looked brand new so I invested $459 and will give it a try next time the temp goes above 30 here. Hopefully It'll make me an expert in no time. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.