Glock Talk banner

Which shotgun would you buy for trap shooting?

• Mossberg International Silver Reserve II Super Sport

Votes: 0 0.0%

Choosing a trap shotgun

1003 8
After some research I have narrowed down my choices for a new trap shotgun to 3 options. The Mossberg International Silver Reserve II Super Sport, the Remington Model 1100 Classic Trap , and the SKB 90TSS Trap. Which one would you guys recommend?
Thanks,
Mike
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· NRA Benefactor
6,136 Posts
If you shoot a lot and practice a lot, the Remington 1100 ejecting shells may make retrieving hulls for reloading a bit more difficult. I was shooting 3 to 5 rounds of trap and skeet 3 times a week so reloading became a necessity. Also I think there is more maintenance involved as there are moving parts, seals, etc.

I don't know if the Mossberg is a trap grade gun. Usually trap guns have higher combs and ribs so that the clay pigeon is on top of the post as opposed to covered by it on a field gun. They are also built on heavier frames as a trap gun will shoot in a year what a field gun will shoot in a lifetime.

I personally used a Browning Citori Trap and BT99 that were back bored and Pro-ported for years with good result and went to a K-80, but in this case I would lean toward the SKB.

· Registered
966 Posts
I’ve been shooting trap for 30 plus years.Shot everything from trap grade 870 pumps to Benelli autos to Browning over & unders SKB model 685 Competition with a 34 inch unisigle barrel and a 30 inch over under barrel set. I’ve shot this SKB for 15 years now probably around 10 k rounds a year with no problems ever. I would go with the SKB personally.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot everything but the Mossberg, and out of the SKB and Remington I preferred the SKB just because its an o/u. Most of the people I shoot trap with say "get the BT-99, it will last you forever and is one of the best trap guns ever made." Unfortunately I would like to be able to shoot skeet or trap doubles too, which is why i'm not really considering it. But I just wanted some more opinions before I buy.
Thanks,
Mike

· NRA Life Member.
3,506 Posts
I have shot everything but the Mossberg, and out of the SKB and Remington I preferred the SKB just because its an o/u. Most of the people I shoot trap with say "get the BT-99, it will last you forever and is one of the best trap guns ever made." Unfortunately I would like to be able to shoot skeet or trap doubles too, which is why i'm not really considering it. But I just wanted some more opinions before I buy.
Thanks,
Mike
Offer to clean one of each for somebody after they've shot it all day.

Get the O/U.

Reactions: ADKshooter

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Well I've been trying to improve my very poor trap shooting skills with my trusty Remington 870 Magnum Express with a 19" barrel.

Two days ago I was at my LGS and he had a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays that looked brand new so I invested $459 and will give it a try next time the temp goes above 30 here. Hopefully It'll make me an expert in no time. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.