Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

What are the TWO most important considerations for your CCW pistol?

• Overall size of the pistol

Votes: 205 68.1%
  • Weight of the pistol

Votes: 89 29.6%
  • Caliber of the pistol

Votes: 114 37.9%
  • Capacity of the pistol

Votes: 59 19.6%
  • Brand of the pistol ( Reputation )

Votes: 102 33.9%
  • Price of the pistol

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Aftermarket for the pistol

Votes: 3 1.0%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Semper Fi
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You missed my #1. Reliability. In fact my top three are reliability, reliability, and reliability.
That's where I was going with "Brand/Reputation"...Ill reword it.

***Edit...Can't change the wording. Reputation/Reliability should be same category*** Thanks for the note

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Then there's reliability. ;). And accuracy, the rest is no good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
good thread!.. i chose light weight and manufacturer/reputation as i like a quality made firearm with a solid reputation that has proven itself in the field and of course lightweight so its not a bother to carry it everyday without investing lots of extra $$ in belts/holsters.. the g43 and S&W airweights are a couple of examples

·
Banned
752 Posts
Should be a fun thread with a little debate :cheers:
Seriously, there are 5 criteria for a CCW in this order.
1. Reliability
2. Weight and size that you will carry it
3. Can accurately fire it under stress
4. Number of rounds
5. Caliber

If you don't understand all of this, you should not be carrying a gun.

That the OP only asks for 2 tells me that he does not understand.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Size is important, I struggled with capacity or caliber, and because caliber and capacity go hand in hand for me.. In the end I chose capacity.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Reliability and accuracy. When the gun goes "bang" (reliability) did I hit the target (accuracy).

Caliber is probably third. If it's 9mm or bigger (40 S&W or 45 ACP), I'm good.

Then capacity. I'm not a big fan of single shot handguns or derringers (or the current trend of small pocket guns). YMMV.

Within reason, you can (and should) dress around the gun. The rest is fluff.

Reactions: scoose

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
While reliability is paramount, it is difficult for me to pick a #2 consideration. It is the confluence of manner factors, including my subjective likes and dislikes, that goes into choosing a concealed carry gun. I have always been enamored with size vs. utility in all of my carry toys, and that is true with carry guns as well, so I'll go with 1) reliability, and 2) capacity/size ratio. On the latter scale, a Glock 42 would score high and a 1911 not so much.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
118,680 Posts
I'm taking reliability for granted, because this thread is posted in General Glocking instead of either Carry Issues or General Firearms Forum, therefore we know the discussion here is limited to only GLOCKS.

And the poll is limited only to CCW pistols, not open carry or hunting or target pistols; only CONCEALED CARRY pistols.

All of the choices are important, we even have a Caliber Corner forum for those interested in the caliber issue.

I voted for size and weight being the two most important features of the concealed carry Glock. If it's too big and heavy for pocket carry, then it's going to complicate concealability by forcing wardrobe compromises to accommodate a proper belt and holster. We don't wear many cover garments at the beach.
Top three pocket carry concealable Glock choices for me are G42, G43, and G26, in that order, by concealability.

·
The Shootist
882 Posts
For me, reliability is foremost, so choose from well known, respected manufacturers.
Then look for the pistol that works for you and builds confidence. Unfortunately for me, that has meant spending $$$ pistols that felt good when I bought them and didn't work out so well.

For example, while the G43 was a welcome addition to what I thought I would like, the G26 is still better for me and I shoot it way better. The added width can be accounted for so you learn there are tradeoffs in many respects.

I took me a long time to get there and it included guns like HK P2000, P30sk, Shield, XDs, Glock 19, Sigs you name it I've pretty much had one.

The HK P30sk was the equal, but the G26 had a better trigger, shorter grip with same rounds so it has worked better for concealment.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The largest (easier to shoot accurately at speed), 100%-reliable (if it fails it is of no use to you), of sufficiently effective caliber (.38 Spl/9mm or larger), firearm you are willing to carry every single day (if you don't carry it, it is of no value).

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm taking reliability for granted, because this thread is posted in General Glocking instead of either Carry Issues or General Firearms Forum, therefore we know the discussion here is limited to only GLOCKS.
Not a good idea to take reliability for granted with any brand. I’ve seen enough issues with both my personal Glocks and dept issue guns to know better. (Of course, I’m sure it was all “limp-wristing”.). Glock may be in my top three or four of most trusted, but I’d definitely not carry one for work purposes without shooting a few hundred rounds first.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/new-glock-model-23-gen-3-issue.1687361/

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.