close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choosing a book on self defense

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by clklez3, Oct 8, 2004.

1. clklez3

clklez3

I am having trouble picking between these three books:

1) Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper
    2) In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Fiream in Personal Protection by Massad Ayoob
    3) Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley

I am no expert in self defense. I am just looking for a primer. I will probably get all of these books eventually, but I just want one for now. I usually read poetry or fiction. I have poetry by Emily Dickinson, Adrienne Rich, Judy Grahn and Marge Piercy. I love to read Charles Dickens, Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Twain. As you can see I like to read books that are a bit dreamy and so I feel a little lost looking for a self defense manual. I would like to know which of these books offers the most interesting read. I don't want to fall asleep while reading about such an important subject.
    I have only been shooting a couple of years nows, but I really enjoy my time at the range and take it very seriously. I have a CCW and I am trying to get out to the range at least twice a month. I still have a flinch, but I am trying to work that out with my .22. I also have a G26 and three other handguns. I am starting to ramble. The question was which of these three books should I start with? Any opinions or comments are appreciated. I also would like to know if any of these books are a waste of time and money. Let me know what you folks think. Thanks.

2. federali

federali

This book is primarily intended for retailers. However, only one chapter is retailer specific. The rules for a successful firearms encounter are the same whether you're a private citizen, a cop or a retailer. Merchants at War thoroughly covers much of what you need to know. It's available from Varro Press, Shawnee Mission, Kansas.

As you said, you'll eventually have all of them and the authors you mention are all worth reading.

3. CZpkntxn

CZpkntxn

If your asking for an opinion I'll give mine. I would have to recommend Jeff Cooper. Although I have not read the book you mentioned I do own a copy of To Ride, Shoot Strait and Speak The Truth and it is one of my favorite books. In addition to being a world renowned shooter. Mr. Cooper is suprisingly eloquent and I don't think you could go wrong with any of his books. Just my two cents.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Considering Principles of Personal Defense runs about $7, it's about 30 pgs, and well worth the read. I donated my copy to a female reporter I used to work with. I would buy Principles of Personal Defense and Massad Ayoob's book together as the price will still be pretty low. Principles will cover the basics of mindset and equipment, Ayoob's book will cover most everything else for starters.

5. KY Moose

KY Moose

[​IMG]

Look into getting this book by Kelly McCann.

6. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Also look for Dave Spaulding's books, I have seen them on Amazon.com. Good everyday tactics, talks about situational awareness, etc. Excellent, easy to read, not boring at all.

7. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

8. activeresponse

activeresponse

I have all three and many more. Of those three I would recommend "Armed and Female". Principals of Personal Defense is a great mindset developer, but doesn't have a lot of practical suggestions for the novice. Some of "The Truth" is oudated, but it is still a good book.

As far as interesting goes, "Armed and Female" wins hands down. I think an even better primer is "Effective Defense" by Gila May Hayes.

Check your local library. Most have copies of Armed and Female. Another place to look if money is a concern is www.bookfinder.com it searches several book seller's websites for used an out of print books. You can generally find a good bargain there.

Greg

9. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Since you live in the US, I'm inclined to advice you to acquire Ayoob's In The Gravest Extreme.

An important but often overseen aspect of self-defense is defending your actions in the aftermath of a defensive encounter. Ayoob gives great insight and advice on such topics.

10. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Also read:

Deadly Force Encounters - while written for cops, it gives you the feel for the aftermath of a shooting.

It is good to read many books. There is a tendency in the gun world to regard this or that person as the 'guru'. Nope, be ecletic. Then, one needs to train with someone who is not a self defined egotist and offers some realistic FOF.

11. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

I know, you'd like to pick one of the three, but Cooper and Ayoob are both indespensable, Cooper for mindset, style and pure curmudgeon-ness, and Ayoob for his collections of SD shooting data and the legal aftermath. As for Paxton Quigley, though I haven't read it, I would hope that there's a book out there that adresses women's carry needs with more than "these guns fit small hands ok", which is the treatment given the subject by most SD books.

I have evrything Copper has written that's still in print, but on the subject of shooting for self-defense, if you only buy one book,
    make it Andy Stanford's "Surgical Speed Shooting". It is up-to-date, and it covers it all. I'd also reccommend some quality training. Even if you are an ace on the range punching paper, you need training. Tiger Woods has a golf coach.

12. RiverVan

RiverVan FREEDOM

Are you looking for a book on tactics or the legal issues?
    Coopers book is more a training manual I believe, Ayoobs book is about the legal reality of deadly physical force.
    Are you female? You profile does not say. Quigleys book was intended for women but anyone could get a great deal of value out of it. Frankly I think you should read all three.
    Try Addall.com and get em used if you need to save some $$

13. Orive 8

Orive 8