Choosing a 10 round pistol now so I get stuck again later...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TGT, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:41 AM.

1. TGT

TGT They call me "The Chef". Fruit salad my specialty.

Liberals are becoming louder about gun violence while the news media and the democrats work harder to sway public opinion against us. Trump is proposing background checks as a concession (instead of a ban), but do you want to bet 10 round limits will be federal law when a democrat becomes Pres?!!

Anticipating this, I no longer shop for large framed pistols with high capacity. If you like beefier sized guns like the 8 shot 1911, then this will matter less to you. But if you buy a bigger G19 or G17 with the 16 &18 round cap being a major point, then you will likely be very disappointed when 10 rnds become law. I keep hearing defiant gun owners say "I will disregard those laws", but trust me that it's no fun hiding your stuff when you can't shoot it freely at the range, show it to your friends, or carry it without worry of getting busted. However, I can buy the right sized gun designed for 10 round capacity now, (like a G26, G29, G30, or G33 & G27 with extension)and become proficient with it so I suffer no changes when the Dems make 10 rounds the law.

10 Rnd P-14 Mag.JPG
    Above photo; I'm afraid that this is where our large framed, high-cap pistols are headed again. This is a magazine from the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban that reduced my P-14, 14 round .45cal pistol down to 10 rounds. Did you ever see such a retarded thing in your life!! Like the criminal gives a crap about following the rules that I must adhere to.

MacDonald, fg17 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  2. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

I would be more concerned about the laws, regulations passed at the State and local level than anything coming from Congress. That is where your lobbying efforts and lobbying dollars should be headed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

B C, Joshhtn, slamdunc and 3 others like this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

NY has been 10 round mag limit since the 94 Fed law.

First, not long after 94, was a NY law that mirrored the fed law (but with no sunset), which allowed grandfathered mags.

But then around 2012 an even worse law outlawed the grandfathered mags. No compensation.

I have 4 hi-cap handguns. I crushed those mags. Wasn't difficult for me to find 10-round mag replacements to fit those guns, only because my models are common enough guns. But other people, with older or more interesting guns, could not find 10-round mags, thus not allowing them to use their guns anymore.

Whole thing about 10-round mag limits is unconstitutional and needs to be fought now with your lawmakers, and later in the courts and the future elections.

But in the meantime, I obey the law. I still shoot my high-cap guns, with low-cap mags. One of them being the Glock 17, for example. But there is no reason to carry a Glock 17 anymore. That is a big reason why the Glock 43x is such a great gun. It is thinner and lighter, has a full grip, and in NY holds as much as a Glock 17.

If you want to plan ahead, to be cautious, you may want to find some 10-round mags for your guns now. If some state law happens, there will be a run on those mags, and a shortage. If a fed law happens, it will be an even bigger clusterfark.

Chui, TGT, Cambo and 1 other person like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Its too bad that you are declaring defeat in advance, despite Trump's impending reelection, his appointment of two Supreme Court justices, and Republican control of the Senate and the majority of state legislatures and governors.

Capitulating to the Left in spite of the facts is how they win. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

VIS07, racer88, ruffhunter and 32 others like this.
  5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Hear, hear!

There's a lot of that going on around on GT right now.

VIS07, jame, TheDreadnought and 5 others like this.
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

There's no guarantee that 10 will be the new magic number nor that the old mags will be outright banned rather than grandfathered.

VIS07, Grumpy_old_man, Bus007 and 4 others like this.
  7. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Or even that anything will pass the Congress.

VIS07, Quigley, grumpy1 and 3 others like this.
  8. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

Yep, hedging your bet with liberal gun laws is like buying platform shoes for flood insurance, The Commies will never be satisfied until only the state is armed

VIS07, Skidoo, Grumpy_old_man and 8 others like this.
  9. tuica

tuica

Many good posts above. And who can tell where events will take the nation. Eight round capacity wouldn’t surprise me.

But as a large bore, full size Glock with ten round mag capacity - the G37 already exists. 45 GAP ammunition not as difficult to obtain as some of the caliber’s naysayers would have you believe. Where do you find that ammo? To slightly alter an old song by Petula Clark...”Online.”

Mr Meeseeks and bandsaw like this.
  10. Southswede

Southswede

What makes you think the arbitrary limit imposed will be 10 rounds? They learned their lesson last time with the sunset clause. Why wouldn't they make it 6 rounds, or eliminate removable magazines all together.

bunk22 and Quigley like this.
  11. DAKA

DAKA

All these worrisome thoughts...my..... my...

12. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

If it were me I’d be buying another 26. Slap on a taran Tactical +5 and you now have a capacity of 15+1. I carry my 26 with a +5 that I can get 6 rounds into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TGT likes this.
  13. 45caldan

45caldan

Do you have a crystal ball??
    So I should listen to you and no order some 12 rd mags for my P365?
    Not gonna happen (me listening to you). Have a nice day....

14. -JCN-

-JCN-

Must stink to live in fear.

Normally I just disagree with your posts and life philosophy.

This time I DISAGREE with your post and your life philosophy.

Majestic9C1, bunk22, Quigley and 3 others like this.
  15. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Have you thought about revolvers? I bought into the max ammo craze and got my first Glock after years of depending on wheel guns. I never felt unsafe with only 5 or 6 rounds in the gun .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

17. CAcop

CAcop

When my back was killing me at work I seriously considered a Glock 30/30S/30SF. 31 on my belt and another 11 in another as back up.

tuica and TGT like this.
  18. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

When the NY SAFE act was passed it was 7 round limit. The lawsuit started because they didn’t make seven round mags for a lot of guns. A de facto ban. So NYS knew they would lose so they changed the law to you could have 10 round magazines but only load 7.

The judge declared the 7 round unconstitutional. It was appealed and the 3rd circuit upheld the decision. 10 rounds are the standard in case law in a very anti gun circuit. It could be challenged because of how it was established but it’s a fight I don’t think the liberals want.

19. reniram

reniram

A number of states won't enforce this if it becomes a federal law. The template is already there with many states thumbing their noses at federal immigration and marijuana laws, so why should this be any different.

badge315, grumpy1 and CAcop like this.
  20. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

If 10-round max mags are your target, the .45 ACP is your caliber.

My guess is if you are in a state where there is currently a 10-round max capacity, you’re in a Marxist state to begin with and concealed carry is reserved only for the elite.

Why have a full size 9mm or 40 when you can only have 10 round mags?

Glock 30
    Smith and Wesson M&P45 2.0
    HK45
    HK45 Compact

VIS07, Quijibo, Dr357sig and 3 others like this.