close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choking on the long shots

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by marca, Apr 22, 2006.

1. marca

marca

While practicing and while shooting league matches the following happens: At 15, 25 and sometimes at 50 feet I do a decent job of keeping my rounds in the center of the target. Beyond that my shots start to wander dramatically to the right, especially when the target is rolled out to 75 feet. Any suggestions for ways to improve/correct this? I know it's not an issue with the gun being deffective.

I currently have TFOs on my Glock 17. I tried the Dawson/Heine/speed cut combo. My eyes just can't pick up the tiny front sight. Not the fault of the sights, my eyes just can't focus on the tiny red dot. I'm open to suggestions regarding sights and technique.

Thanks

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i made a big leap in my preformance by dry firing and watching the gun move and i dry fired. made a few adjustments to reduce the amount the gun move and my scores went up. shooting more and shooting more matches seemed to help too. i also can't see the sights very clearly, but i seem to be able to see both sights and the target with equal clearity, or actually out of focus.

3. G19AR15

G19AR15

Chances are that ALL your shots are off to one side, but you don't see it until the further distances because the further the distance, the more margin for error. If your rifle scope, for example, is off by 1" at 100yds, it will be off by 2"-3" at 200yds. The further you go, the worse it gets.
    Sounds like your grip and/or trigger discipline need some work.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Tell us about your age/vision/glasses. You really *need* to be able to focus on your front sight.

:patriot:

5. marca

marca

Age = 40+

Glasses = Bifoculs

Dominant eye = right eye; right eye can't get the sight in focus. Vision in my left eye is far better.

Going to the eye Dr. in a few weeks for a routine check.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Good idea. I'm going soon myself, as it seems that I may not have been having a switch of dominant eye so much as it's time for a different/new Rx. Regardless, I've found it much easier just to work with both eyes pretty much open and have found, with me anyway, it's not the so-called dominant eye that takes over, but simply the one that's seeing better, and right now that's my non- "dominant" eye.

I'm still going to work with the doc to get something on the order of the pic attached, which I continue to shamelessly borrow from Butch, as it's his to begin with.

[​IMG]

I'm sure it will cut down on my complaint letters to the makers of iron-sights for their shoddy quality control, in that their products aren't as "crisp" as they were 20 years ago. ;)

7. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Wig nailed it marca, have you tried looking at your sights with the bifocal portion of your lenses?

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I tried the bifocal on top. It worked OK

I tried Franel u view tec top. (It is like a clip-on sun glass only the top or reading portion is at the top of your lens and you can flip it up to walk)About $25 dollars.

After talking with Bobbie and Jerry I have the whole dominate eye lens set for the sights and the other for distance. After about 10 minutes it seems normal.

9. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

Might try to find an Eye Doc that's also a Shooter?
    For me, wound up being the best way to go. Measured various "eyeball" to front sight distances and took the avg. in when was examined. Got Trifocals with Tri-part as high as he felt could tolerate and focal length center at distance measured. HAs worked superbly for both the 'gun games" that play including IDPA and local leagues. {Find F/Optic good only for gun games, rely on "Black on Black" for all esle, FWIW} Plus monthly visits to favorite Training School out of state for Clinics or weekend's where 3x4" C/O shots are done out to 10-15 meters at speed and COM stuff at 15, 25 and 50 meters. Eyeballs are well over 5 decades gone.....

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Hey, I resemble that...! :supergrin:

11. bruce282

bruce282

I shot an all steel USPSA match last weekend (rain) and really got pi$$ed with how bad a time I was having hitting 4" steel plates at 10-15 yards. One of my squad mates told me my CZ40B was hitting low. So I decided to switch to my G17 in both USPSA and IDPA for the rest of the summer, and yesterday went to the range to see where it hit when shot off a rest at 15 yards using a 4" bullseye.

My eyesight is not what one would call normal. My right(dominant) eye is about 20/40, my left is 20/400. I had lasik on my right eye. The cornea of eyes are very soft and I was told "think of small pile of mashed potatoes over the pupil of your eye.

The glasses I wear are progressive from computer distance (2x reading distance) at the bottom to distance at the top. I can't get a truly clear front sight picture.

After firing 15 rounds slow fire from a rest and only hitting the bull 3 times with the rest of rounds all over the place, I yanked my glasses off and fired another 15, I couldn't see anything on the target but the black center dot of the bull. 10 hit in the 4" circle, with another 3 close by.

I then put an IPSC target up and was able to get a lot of A or close to A hits out to 15 yards shooting slowly (no rest). As I sped up my hits spread out, as I would expect.

As a final test I put a new target at 7 yards, and fired a 21 round Bill Drill with 1 reload. Results were 19 A's and 2 C's. I soot an IDPA match this Wednesday, I guess I'll try it without glasses and see what happens.

My thoughts are when I get new glasses, I'm going to do as someone here mentioned, right lens = front sight clear, left lens = distance.

Bruce

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Don't forget to put on a pair of "shooting glasses" for protection.

13. bruce282

bruce282

Always carry a pair and an extra set of ears, my duaghter goes with me to the range every now and then.

Bruce