close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

choke and slug question

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by darwin25, Jul 4, 2006.

1. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Can I shoot slugs in choked shotgun barrels. If I can, what is the tightest choke that I can use? I've done some research and found that slygs can actually be fired thru full choked barrels. But I wouldnt go that tight. Maybe a modified or IC choke will be enough.

TIA

2. kamelot

kamelot

+1 on chokes and slugs. Different barrels and different slugs make different combinations (as far as the experiences of slug shooters say). See what slugs your SG and chokes like best.
    In general, Modified, Light modified and Improved Cylinder chokes work best. Accuracy can go up to 50 yds.

I've tried slugs through an open cylinder of my Benelli. At 50 yds, I have to aim at the head of an IPSC target and it would fall at the A zone on the chest. YMMV.:)
    Locally, there are probably few and far between competitions that use slugs. Come to think of it, I never was in a SG competition using slugs. But then again, I'm not an "addict" to shotguns.:upeyes:

3. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

do all shotguns accept chokes?

4. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

What are good brands of shotgun slugs (in terms of accuracy and feed reliability)?

5. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Thanks doc kamelot.:)

How about with the 00 buck? Any idea on the effective range of a modified choke? Im thinking of using a choke that can give the 00 or 000 buck a 25-30 yard effective range and still be able to use rifled slugs to go beyond that range.

6. isuzu

isuzu

Not sure if you could use rifled slugs on choked tubes. One thing I'm sure though, is never to use steel shots on full-choked tubes.

I've seen a guy at a gunstore who had to buy a new barrel because he used steel shot on a fully-choked shotgun and the barrel bulged.

7. vega

vega

No.