CHL (TX) advice for "Green Card" holder

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by adv, Jan 4, 2010.

1. adv

adv

Hi folks,
    Anyone with a Green card out there with a Texas CHL??? I did my CHL but can't see anywhere on the paperwork that requires a copy of my Permanent Resident Card, which I find a little strange (actually a little worrying).

Any CHL holders who are non citizens have any advice on what they sent in regards to paperwork or issues they had along the way???
    I legally own firearms by the way which were not a problem getting but the paperwork required an INS Number.

Thank-You

2. Alpine

Alpine

I am a US citizen and I'm not sure what you mean by "did my CHL." However, I suggest one of 2 things:

Send in your application, answering all questions truthfully and attaching all documentation called for by the instructions and see what happens; or

Call the CHL unit at DPS in Austin and ask them. They have some knowledgeable folks there who can answer your questions.

3. jordanmills

jordanmills

Please post what you learn too. I have a friend who is in some kind of alien status that is interested in a CHL.

4. G36Packer

G36Packer

You should call them. I would think you would send your green card and any other supporting papers with your packet.

I was born overseas to US military parents. I sent my packet and birth certificate, as instructed by my CHL instructor. Later I got a letter stating that I was an alien, which my wife will not let me forget! I called to explain and was asked to send them my citizenship papers from the military as well. I asked for their fax number and sent it off. A month later I had my CHL. Now I automatically send all the papers with each renewal. No problems.

Good luck.

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Are you a U.S. citizen?

* Do you have a valid Social Security Number?
    * Do you have a Texas Driver License or Texas Identification card?
    * Do you have a valid credit card?
    * Have no criminal record?

If you have all of the above, should not be a problem.

:cool:

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

He holds a green card which allows him to live and work here. That should be enough to own firearms (federal law). Whether he can acquire a CHL is a states issue. He is legal resident. He should be allowed to carry like any USA citizen. (No, he can't vote.) There are plenty of illegals who carry without permit. At least he would be one of the good guys.

FL: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...y_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/Sec06.HTM

(a) Is a resident of the United States and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien of the United States, as determined by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by the appropriate embassy in this country;

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. adv

adv

Just a quick reply to a couple of posts above. Since coming to the States about 10 years ago I have never received a penny of taxpayers money for any purposes. I have diligently paid taxes every year - both business and personal.

I came to the US with a business idea and invested well over $100,000 of my own money, transferred from overseas into this country, starting and building that business, which of course employs American citizens. The company also exports abroad which again brings in money to this country.

Unless your "ancestors" are Native American, I suspect the reason you are US citizens now can be traced back to one of your ancestors having done something very similar. No doubt they too encountered similar hostility.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

ADV,

What is your company?

:cool:

9. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Folks, please respond to the OP's request for information.

If you have a burning desire to discuss other topics, start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

That's nice, but he lives in Texas, not Florida.

Also, he needs no credit card and does not have to have "no criminal record".

The OP should call DPS at (800) 224-5744 and ask what he needs to include for his CHL.

11. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

yes you can get the CHL
    There is some place where you put your GC info and you have to send a copy of both sides

12. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

Green Card holder here......... I had the good fortune to marry a beautiful American woman and to move here.

When I applied for my WV Concealed Weapons Permit, I brought my WV Drivers License, Social Security Card and Driver's License.

No questions asked by the authorities, straight forward and simple.

13. js0ne

js0ne

me and a friend applied for our TX CHL at the same time. He is also a legal resident, non-US citizen. He included a copy (color) of his "alien" card with the rest of his application. IIRC there were a couple of extra steps to be taken for a non-US citizen as shown on the checklist we received with our packet, but as far as additional paperwork I think the only additional item that was sent was a copy of his actual alien card.

what ironic was that he received his CHL card 1 week before I did, and I was born here. Total wait time from CHL class to card in wallet, 4 weeks for him and 5 weeks for me.

14. ImDaGlockinator!

ImDaGlockinator!

I'm a Canadian living in Arizona. I have a Green Card
    and had no problem getting my CCW in AZ. Just take the class, fill-out the paperwork, answer any questions they ask, supply any copies of whatever they ask-for etc. No problem. Why would supplying a copy of your GreenCard concern-you?

15. vinnier6

vinnier6

if you have lived here for 10 years, why not become a U.S citizen??

16. adv

adv

Thanks for all the constructive advice - I mailed a copy of my Green Card with the app, we shall see. And yes, I am working on becoming a citizen,these things just take time and patience. Meanwhile whilst I'm not an American yet but I sure as **** am a Texan (at least in my own little mind lol).
    (Disclaimer : The last sentence was meant as a showing of my great respect and love for TX and should in no way be construed as the OP claiming to be a real Texan).